• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC actually does work!

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Verd, actually, in NC there is no provision for citizen's arrests. Also, according to state law here, you are legally allowed to use your weapon to defend the life of another if that person being defended would have been legally allowed to draw their own weapon if they had one. So, for the sake of example, if the BG is brandishing a firearm or a bladed weapon in an attempt to rob another individual or, in this case, a gas station attendant, in NC you can legally draw your own weapon to defend the other person if you so choose.

Cool. Good to know. I was trying to be generic in my responses since I was unsure of the state's law in that regard.

PistolPackingMomma

I'm curious to know why you don't OC whenever and wherever you can. But then again, I cannot CC since I do not have a CCL and have no plans on wasting my money on such a thing. I OC every single place that I can simply because there is always a chance that I may need it. And when you need it, you will need it right then, not after you are able to make a mad dash for your car or your home to get your gun. Thats why I took offense at your words, because to me, you seem like you don't see a need to protect yourself all of the time but only when you want to. Which is an odd concept for me to wrap my head around.Ahh, so you only OC in places where the people inside know you and know that you OC? But then, wouldn't it be even stranger to all of a sudden, one day, have a gun on your side after all the previous times that you didn't? Wouldn't that make them take even more notice of you since it is such an oddity to your normal behavior? To me, that would be a red flag, while someone who starts off as a stranger who OCies is actually less of a red flag.I'm confused where anyone said that they were wondering why you don't OC at a gas station because you might need to be the Lone Ranger or some such. It seems to me that everyone was wondering why you stopped protecting yourself at gas stations when gas stations are some of the highest hit places in regards to robberies, especially armed robberies.Well, to be honest, there are only two options that you CAN do, legally. You can hide amongst the shelves and do nothing, since you cannot fire at him since there is no danger to your life. Or you can attempt a citizen's arrest since there is a felony happening in your plain view. I, personally, would try to take a picture of the guy covertly as well as his car plates so that the cops can find him easier since I do not want to put myself into a position where I can get shot.Same as above. Only if he is waving his gun around, pointing the gun in my direction will I draw and shoot. But according to your scenario, he is just wanting to get the cash and leave, not wanting to hurt anyone, so see my answer from above.If the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as above.If the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as aboveIf the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as aboveIf the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as aboveYou mean I shot him in the back??? Why the hell would anyone do this??? You would be responsible for the cashier's death and you would be guilty of murder!Again, I am shooting at the BG in the back!?! It would clearly be non-criminal homocide at the very least.In your scenario, the BG doesn't even know I am there, has no gun or weapon, and states he wants to leave safely and quietly. The business is insured against robberies like this. I'm not going to offer my life for such a crime.Since I could answer all those questions, does that make me MORE THAN HUMAN? Because if so, I'd love to have a superpower!If he is walking towards me, I will draw my gun, and fire since it is clear that my life is in danger.Draw and shoot to kill.Bang! That's all the BG wrote.I'd shoot them both.I'd take him out ASAP.In this case, I would draw my gun, shout out "FREEZE! CITIZEN"S ARREST!" I would NOT shoot him unless he turned towards me with his gun or if he fired at the cashier. I would attempt to talk him down, get him to drop his gun, and use zip ties to bind his hands together until the cops arrived as is my right when dealing with a felony happening infront of you. As long as I do not transport him anywhere and just detain him.Agreed.So... you give two examples of gas station robberies. One is a peaceful one and the other is a violent one. You then note that a robber wants money and goods, while a ruthless one doesn't want to leave witnesses. And then, after acknowledging that there are two types of robbers (peaceful and ruthless), you seem to come to the crazy conclusion that you don't need to bring your gun into a gas station with you! If you know that some robbers are going to be ruthless, why the hell are you going to leave your gun in the car in the hopes that if the gas station is robbed while you are in there the robber is the peaceful type?!?

excellent response!

To the OP, carry how and when you want; that is your right. However, consider this. While traveling out of state to visit family, we OC'd the whole time, which included gas stations and rest stops. Only ONE gas station clerk (middle Eastern ethnicity) seemed nervous about the gun on my hip. But my calm and friendly attitude went a long way in calming him down, and within minutes he didn't seemed nearly as worried about me robbing or shooting up the place. An armed society is a polite society. Everyone else we met on our trip was just curious.

smlawrence

I'm curious to know why you don't OC whenever and wherever you can. But then again, I cannot CC since I do not have a CCL and have no plans on wasting my money on such a thing. I OC every single place that I can simply because there is always a chance that I may need it. And when you need it, you will need it right then, not after you are able to make a mad dash for your car or your home to get your gun. Thats why I took offense at your words, because to me, you seem like you don't see a need to protect yourself all of the time but only when you want to. Which is an odd concept for me to wrap my head around.Ahh, so you only OC in places where the people inside know you and know that you OC? But then, wouldn't it be even stranger to all of a sudden, one day, have a gun on your side after all the previous times that you didn't? Wouldn't that make them take even more notice of you since it is such an oddity to your normal behavior? To me, that would be a red flag, while someone who starts off as a stranger who OCies is actually less of a red flag.I'm confused where anyone said that they were wondering why you don't OC at a gas station because you might need to be the Lone Ranger or some such. It seems to me that everyone was wondering why you stopped protecting yourself at gas stations when gas stations are some of the highest hit places in regards to robberies, especially armed robberies.Well, to be honest, there are only two options that you CAN do, legally. You can hide amongst the shelves and do nothing, since you cannot fire at him since there is no danger to your life. Or you can attempt a citizen's arrest since there is a felony happening in your plain view. I, personally, would try to take a picture of the guy covertly as well as his car plates so that the cops can find him easier since I do not want to put myself into a position where I can get shot.Same as above. Only if he is waving his gun around, pointing the gun in my direction will I draw and shoot. But according to your scenario, he is just wanting to get the cash and leave, not wanting to hurt anyone, so see my answer from above.If the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as above.If the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as aboveIf the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as aboveIf the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as aboveYou mean I shot him in the back??? Why the hell would anyone do this??? You would be responsible for the cashier's death and you would be guilty of murder!Again, I am shooting at the BG in the back!?! It would clearly be non-criminal homocide at the very least.In your scenario, the BG doesn't even know I am there, has no gun or weapon, and states he wants to leave safely and quietly. The business is insured against robberies like this. I'm not going to offer my life for such a crime.Since I could answer all those questions, does that make me MORE THAN HUMAN? Because if so, I'd love to have a superpower!If he is walking towards me, I will draw my gun, and fire since it is clear that my life is in danger.Draw and shoot to kill.Bang! That's all the BG wrote.I'd shoot them both.I'd take him out ASAP.In this case, I would draw my gun, shout out "FREEZE! CITIZEN"S ARREST!" I would NOT shoot him unless he turned towards me with his gun or if he fired at the cashier. I would attempt to talk him down, get him to drop his gun, and use zip ties to bind his hands together until the cops arrived as is my right when dealing with a felony happening infront of you. As long as I do not transport him anywhere and just detain him.Agreed.So... you give two examples of gas station robberies. One is a peaceful one and the other is a violent one. You then note that a robber wants money and goods, while a ruthless one doesn't want to leave witnesses. And then, after acknowledging that there are two types of robbers (peaceful and ruthless), you seem to come to the crazy conclusion that you don't need to bring your gun into a gas station with you! If you know that some robbers are going to be ruthless, why the hell are you going to leave your gun in the car in the hopes that if the gas station is robbed while you are in there the robber is the peaceful type?!?

I don't think I could have said it better myself. I OC 100% of the time that I am lawfully able to do so. After doing so for as long as I have, I think it sucks that I didn't start doing so earlier in my life. In MY OPINION, OCing allows multiple things: (1) I get to have multiple conversations with new people discussing OC, Guns, Holsters, places to shoot, hunting, laws, and anything else pertaining to firearms. (I greatly enjoy meeting new people, my wife says I know no strangers and I talk more than any woman...lol). (2) My Family and I feel safer everywhere we go. (Even some of the people that are around us feel safer just because I am OCing, they've told me so). (3) I'm exercising a right that I feel would be taken from me if I didn't exercise it.

If someone wants to carry open or concealed then by all means whatever floats your boat. If your not comfortable carrying somewhere, then please don't carry as that could be more dangerous. I truly hope you are never in a situation where you don't have your firearm and a BG has his sights on you because you never know if the Lone Ranger or Tonto wouldn't be there to cover your A$$. If a fellow OCer is in the store with me and for some reason I am being held at gunpoint, PLEASE, put one in his head. Thanks in advance, CARRY ON!!!

Just my 2 cents.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Cool story... If ever there's a place to OC, it's gas stations.

I OC'd several times at gas stations recently on my hunting trip, including a couple of fill-ups in Las Vegas, NV, a very urban area of course. One benefit happened that I really appreciated. Now, I imagine this is not the only place beset with lots of people on street corners asking for money. And the last few years have seen the numbers rise and they are being more assertive in their requests, bordering on what I would call intimidation almost.

So anyway, it takes a long time to fuel a diesel pick-up, 30 gallons of extra diesel cans, an ATV and two more cans of gasoline for the ATV. I was at my pump for a long time!

Anyway, the whole time there was a loud beggar asking everyone who came to any of the pumps for money for something-or-other. Not once did he ask me. Nice.