• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man with a gun seminar in Hanover County 11/2/11

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There will be a "How do we respond to a man with a gun" seminar in Hanover on the 2nd of November.
This will be much like the one in Henrico.

Hanover has an extremely bad reputation under Bradly and Cook. Hines is IMO a more professional Sheriff and has worked his way through the ranks.

While Hanover was known as the dumping ground for LEO's (Wash out somewhere else and Hanover will hire you).....the quality of Deputies seems to have improved about 200% in the last few years.

Unfortunately, there are still a few of the old thugs in the Department.

It will be interesting to see what they have to say because it's either a NEW DEPARTMENT, or just another Surry County with a new paint job.

One of Hanover's more famous police shootings was with Deputy Land. A drunk named Figg was stopped in his Driveway for DUI, ran, was so drunk he fell through a fence and while still on the ground aggressively crawling toward the Deputy, was shot numerous times.

This prompted things like bumper stickers that said "Hanover County where DUI brings a death sentence".

The Commonwealths Attorney under pressure to take it before the grand jury, Appointed a CA from up north, named Horan. Horan had a reputation for never prosecuting Cops for a shooting.
He did the same in Hanover.

There have been other questionable shootings in Hanover. From memory, a Deputy shot a man in the back for running from him while serving a misdemeanor warrant, and others too....so Hanover was a good place to be killed without a gun.

The Federal case involving Figg Vs Hanover (Which is a crime in itself) can be seen here:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-4th-circuit/1262907.html

Cmdr_Haggis

There will be a "How do we respond to a man with a gun" seminar in Hanover on the 2nd of November.
This will be much like the one in Henrico.

Hanover has an extremely bad reputation under Bradly and Cook. Hines is IMO a more professional Sheriff and has worked his way through the ranks.

While Hanover was known as the dumping ground for LEO's (Wash out somewhere else and Hanover will hire you).....the quality of Deputies seems to have improved about 200% in the last few years.

Unfortunately, there are still a few of the old thugs in the Department.

It will be interesting to see what they have to say because it's either a NEW DEPARTMENT, or just another Surry County with a new paint job.

One of Hanover's more famous police shootings was with Deputy Land. A drunk named Figg was stopped in his Driveway for DUI, ran, was so drunk he fell through a fence and while still on the ground aggressively crawling toward the Deputy, was shot numerous times.

This prompted things like bumper stickers that said "Hanover County where DUI brings a death sentence".

The Commonwealths Attorney under pressure to take it before the grand jury, Appointed a CA from up north, named Horan. Horan had a reputation for never prosecuting Cops for a shooting.
He did the same in Hanover.

There have been other questionable shootings in Hanover. From memory, a Deputy shot a man in the back for running from him while serving a misdemeanor warrant, and others too....so Hanover was a good place to be killed without a gun.

The Federal case involving Figg Vs Hanover (Which is a crime in itself) can be seen here:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-4th-circuit/1262907.html

:eek::shocker:

Jesus, I hope their message isn't, "We shoot. No questions. Now have a nice day, this seminar is concluded."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
:eek::shocker:

Jesus, I hope their message isn't, "We shoot. No questions. Now have a nice day, this seminar is concluded."

Just like Henrico, I'm interested in what their message s and just how close to the truth it comes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Is there a thread somewhere with more details (location, etc...)? I can't seem to find it....
Thx!

It was in a VCDL alert in the last few days.

************************************************* 1. VCDL meeting, Wed., Nov. 2 at 7:00pm in Mechanicsville -- Hanover Sheriff's Department to discuss how they handle "man with a gun" calls ************************************************* VCDL is having a membership meeting on Wednesday, November 2, in Mechanicsville. The Hanover Sheriff's department will be talking about how they handle "man with a gun" calls. The meeting will be from 7 PM to 9 PM at: PAMUNKEY REGIONAL LIBRARY MECHANICSVILLE BRANCH 7461 Sherwood Crossing Place, Mechanicsville, VA 23111 Thanks to EM Patricia Webb for making the arrangements.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It was in a VCDL alert in the last few days.

************************************************* 1. VCDL meeting, Wed., Nov. 2 at 7:00pm in Mechanicsville -- Hanover Sheriff's Department to discuss how they handle "man with a gun" calls ************************************************* VCDL is having a membership meeting on Wednesday, November 2, in Mechanicsville. The Hanover Sheriff's department will be talking about how they handle "man with a gun" calls. The meeting will be from 7 PM to 9 PM at: PAMUNKEY REGIONAL LIBRARY MECHANICSVILLE BRANCH 7461 Sherwood Crossing Place, Mechanicsville, VA 23111 Thanks to EM Patricia Webb for making the arrangements.

Appreciate the reminder -my secretary didn't write that one down for me. :rolleyes:

Blk97F150

Perfect. Thank you Peter. I recalled reading about it... but I had thought it was a thread here instead of email. Doh!

sidestreet

Thanks, but...,

no thanks. Unless there's something different than the puke that Henrico regurgitated awhile back, I've been sick enough lately without having to gag on on that vomit again. I'd say a lot more, but I'm gonna leave it alone for right now.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

All American Nightmare

no thanks. Unless there's something different than the puke that Henrico regurgitated awhile back, I've been sick enough lately without having to gag on on that vomit again. I'd say a lot more, but I'm gonna leave it alone for right now.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

Just more lipstick on a pig. Maybe we wil get lucky and hear the truth:lol:

sidestreet

Besides...,

I had quite enough of "Hangover" County's "finest" blockheads and drones this Tuesday.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I had quite enough of "Hangover" County's "finest" blockheads and drones this Tuesday.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

Were you on a search team...or something else.

sidestreet

Yes Peter...,

and it really was something else. I'll talk to you about it later. I don't want to sound too ungrateful right now.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless, especially when we are searching for lost children.

Dreamer

Someone REALLY needs to video this seminar and post it on YouTube!!!

Either way-- Pro- or Con-2A, it would be an enlightening video...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Someone REALLY needs to video this seminar and post it on YouTube!!!

Either way-- Pro- or Con-2A, it would be an enlightening video...

I video most of the South of Ashland events Dreamer, and I'll video this one also. I've already filed and received a response to a related FOIA.

I hardly ever post them on line though and NEVER on You Tube.
I did promise Philip he could have a copy so VCDL may post it somewhere (Doubtfully on You Tube but possibly on their WIKI).

I'll get with Grapeshot and see how he wants to handle it. If things get done in Central Va, he's usually behind it.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
All in all, it was a very good program, which surprised me. The Deputy who gave the presentation seemed knowledgeable and Trip Chalkley, Commonwealths Attorney, came along. Trip is the first decent CA Hanover has ever had.

I did get a good video even though I had a lot of problems before we got there.

Is Hanover the same department it was even a few years ago, who knows, but they are at least on record now. Did they do some butt covering for this presentation....darn right, but that's something to write about some other time.

One interesting note for you GFZ paranoids. Trip and the Sheriff's Department stated flatly, they do NOT AND CAN NOT ENFORCE FEDERAL LAW. THE GFZ is federal and not their business. I gave a specific scenario with a specific answer from them.

The video will be given to VCDL as soon as I finish it and both Philip and Grapeshot have said they'll get it online.

Special thanks to Patrica Webb for putting this together and Dale, Philip and Dennis (Yeah, Dennis was there as always).

I was disappointed at the turnout. I counted 17 not counting those of us that were there as OV or VCDL. A few may have been outside but it was not a strong showing.

There were a few of the more dedicated members in attendance. Doug was in attendance. He's a little like Dennis, always supporting quietly and from the Southside. I only saw two people that I could say for sure were from Hanover. There may have been more.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
All in all a good presentation with some "practical" suggestions. Only one minor goof in referring to a CWP instead of a CHP - would like very much to have it be a CWP.

Lively conversation about providing ID when OCing, but seems to be a sincere effort and follow through with training that OC is legal and not RAS of a crime. Good exchange and sharing of thoughts.

Thanks Pat for putting this together and all for attending.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Correction:
It appears I've spent too much time with bears and Doug was not there last night. Sorry Doug, I'll wear my glasses more, I promise.:uhoh: