• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lansing mother shot ex-boyfriend after he broke into her home.

Fisherman

A woman this morning is suspected of

I really hate the way these reporters start their stories. The woman isn't a suspect. She's the freaking VICTIM! Dog gone it! They just twist and turn it until the innocent look guilty.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I really hate the way these reporters start their stories. The woman isn't a suspect. She's the freaking VICTIM! Dog gone it! They just twist and turn it until the innocent look guilty.

Relax. Take a deep breath. The paper did not call her a suspect - it said she was suspected of shooting the guy.

It's difficult for those reportologists to conceive of a woman being able to use a powerful and dangerous item like a handgun -- yet they have no difficulty accepting that women (among other creatures) can operate an automobile with no problems. So they suspect that she shot the guy, but it might also have been that the evil dangerous handgun just went off all by itself 'cause they are known to do that all the time, you know.

Maybe you would have been happier if they said she was alleged to have shot the guy? I'll go along with that.

Overall I was impressed with the lack of BS about GUNZ ARE BAD in the story. What I really was looking for was a statement that the cops are not seeking charges because it was a clear self defense situation. Maybe that will come out in the evening edition? (Are there any papers that still publish AM and PM editions, or am I showing my age again?)

stay safe.

lil_freak_66

that paper publishes stories as soon as they finish them online, but as for an AM and PM decision, almost never, in fact i think the last time the LSJ did an AM and PM edition was on september 11th.

i dont expect to see her charged, shes the 3rd person in the area this year to shoot in self defense(one in January against a burglar,one again in June against a dog) and i think that it is a good sign, our crime rate drops a little bit for a few days every time something like this happens, and its good to hear about the good people coming out on top.

SFCRetired

This particular old man is overjoyed to see another woman taking responsibility for her own safety. I most devoutly wish, being the father of two daughters and grandfather to two more beautiful (yeah, I'm prejudiced) young ladies, that more women and girls would assume this responsibility for themselves.

Maybe, if they did, some of these life support systems for male appendages would get the idea that they do not "own" other human beings just because of the fact of their gender. And, yes, I've heard more than one of those life support systems tell a female that she was his "property" and that he'd beat the @#$& out of her if she tried to leave him.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Good for her!

If I take too long opening my front door when I come from work, like dropping the keys or jiggling the handle to see if the door is already unlocked, I've got to call out that is it me otherwise I could very well have a gun pointed at me at the ready.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Declaration of Rights, Article I, Section 6: Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state."

Shooting an unknown intruder who's just busted down the door of your home falls squarely in the "right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself" clause. Or in this case, "herself."