• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheers and Jeers

bowb

From the Idaho Falls Post Register Cheers and Jeers today

Jeers to Rep. Erik Simpson, R-Idaho Falls. During the 2011 legislative session, Simpson attempted to override the wishes of Idaho's colleges and universities with a bill that would have allowed students to carry guns on their campuses. The bill passed the House but died, thankfully, in the Senate. Simpson hasn't said he'll bring the bill back in 2012, but he certainly appears to be leaning that way. Simpson told www.Idaho Reporter.com: "If you look at this just as a constitutional matter, as I did, it's a no-brainer. It should be allowed."

The Second Amendment is silent about felons. Does Simpson want a convicted bank robber legally packing heat? Nor does the Second Amendment address the mentally ill. Would Simpson have someone suffering from severe schizophrenia carrying a handgun?

The Founding Fathers probably didn't envision obsessed men stalking their exes. Maybe Simpson would have someone with a restraining order against them carrying a sidearm.

And if college campuses are fair game, what about City Hall? Your local county courthouse? The state Capitol building? The White House? Your child's elementary school? The airport?

We've said this before, but it bears repeating. There are people who should not have guns. There are places they should not be allowed. A college campus is one of those.

ecocks

Shame there's no reality check on idiots who fear-monger and are as out-of-touch with reality as whoever wrote that column.

KBCraig

The Second Amendment is silent about felons. Does Simpson want a convicted bank robber legally packing heat?
The Fifth Amendment handles it quite nicely, thanks.

(Personally, I don't believe that anyone who is freely walking the streets should be deprived of arms, but that's not the point; the letter writer was simply wrong about what the Constitution allows.)

ecocks

"And if college campuses are fair game, what about CITY HALL? Your local COUNTY COURTHOUSE? The state CAPITOL BIOLDING? The White House? Your child's elementary school? The AIRPORT?"

Obviously this guy is clueless about the gun laws in ID......

Maybe worth registering on the site and responding except you have to be asubscriber to register there.

Last edited:

timezoneguy

Liberal Idiot

Well if youy knew how liberal, and agenda focused the Post Register and Jerry Brady are it would make perfect sense. I can not stand that rag he calls a newspaper. He has tried to be Govenor and got shut down. Sadly he is a perfect example of why people get in the media business.

Last edited:

silver

ok im a little confused here. Im not familiar with the post register, so help me out.
This is a copied article from the "register" that is bashing simpson for supporting pro-2A rights, correct?

ecocks

The Post Register has a regular thing called Cheers and Jeers.

This article was in response to Simpson commenting about the bill.