Thread: First week in Ohio

First week in Ohio

Last week I moved to the East side of Columbus from Montana. I have been open carrying every day and I have had only one reaction/encounter.
    Tonight I was in Target and the cashier for the line on my right yelled "Oh my God!" I turned 90 degrees to see what was going on, turns out she seen my sidearm. I gave a smile and asked if the young lady was alright. She said she never seen a gun before then asked if I was a police officer. I gave her my normal response of "nope," and turned back to my cashier who was laughing at the young lady who yelled. I paid for my items and left and walked to my car. no one else said a word about my sidearm.
    I don't think this one falls into the bad encounter folder but it was the most vocal encounters I have had. Hopefully all my encounters in the Buckeye state will end as nicely as this one did.

Cincinnati (Springfield Township), Ohio, USA
    Welcome to Ohio! Do you have a concealed handgun license? If not, there are restrictions on where you can carry, especially in motor vehicles.
    You need to get a voice or video recorder that you can wear all the time! Make sure it's running whenever you are OCing in public. If you OC regularly, you'll be glad you have a recorder.

Thanks for the welcome. I got a CHL from virgina so I can carry in my car. I never leave home without my recorder. The laws about recording in ohio are alot better than what im use to.

why the need for an audio recorder when open carrying? and what are the laws about carrying in a motor vehicle?

1. The audio recorder is to help protect you in the event of a negative encounter with LEO who don't look kindly on Open carry.

2. Only those with a Concealed Handgun License can legally carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle here in Ohio.

I am new to this site and glad to be a new member. There is a lot of good information here, and things I haven't thought about.
    Last edited by CDMAGS; 10-28-2011 at 04:02 PM.