Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a chance for open carry demonstration?

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

a chance for open carry demonstration?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111014/METRO/110140447/1409/Occupy-Detroit-kicks-off-as-hundreds-march-up-Woodward

i
    don't necessarily agree with what seems to be the freeloading spirit of this, i support the 1st amendment

what strikes me about detroit is that it may be one of the few "occupy" protests at which open carry would be legal
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 10-15-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20111014/METRO/110140447/1409/Occupy-Detroit-kicks-off-as-hundreds-march-up-Woodward

i
    don't necessarily agree with what seems to be the freeloading spirit of this, i support the 1st amendment

what strikes me about detroit is that it may be one of the few "occupy" protests at which open carry would be legal
    A Publicity Stunt?

Is that what you propose?

Good morning,

I would think that a march in to Warren, in a show of support would be something to consider.

Personally I have no desire to tempt any of those crazies into making me shoot them in self-defense. So unless my security company sends me down there, I will happily stay away.

I will have nothing to do with the loons and baffoons that cannot even articulate what they are protesting about. To be perfectly honest the interviews sound like they went to a mental hospital. These nuts are just looking for a fight and several have said they want a Kent State type confrontation. I would recomend staying far away.

Sent from my Inspire 4G via Tapatalk flying mail monkeys
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

hahaha... OK so the very first person quoted in the article is someone I went to school with and is friends with some people I still know from high school...

So I can say confidently from personal experience... this would not be a welcoming crowd for OCers... we'll probably wanna stay away from this one.

I went to the flint occupy protest as a spectator. Although i OC 90% of the time, i chose to CC to this particular event.

If i were to OC at one of these events, i would make sure i wasn't alone.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

I see no reason to go there to OC.

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    I will have nothing to do with the loons and baffoons that cannot even articulate what they are protesting about. To be perfectly honest the interviews sound like they went to a mental hospital. These nuts are just looking for a fight and several have said they want a Kent State type confrontation. I would recomend staying far away.

Sent from my Inspire 4G via Tapatalk flying mail monkeys

Saw this pic on a friend's FB page... had a good laugh..

Glad to see some young people poking a bit of fun at the protesters as well...

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Unhappy We should be very careful about criticizing others....

We (OCers) do not like being called names such as zealots, nutts, gun whacko's etc... yet some of us are willing to poke fun at these folks? Now they may not make a lot of sense to some of us but, remember we don't make a lot of sense to most Americans yet. My understanding of this group is they take issue (however disorganized) with the 1% of US corporations and Uber wealthy that get special breaks, benefits etc... I don't have a dog in this fight. The way I see it is we should make it very clear that we support all constitutional rights, especially those such as the 1A, that benefit directly from the 2A and vice versa. Whether we agree with them or not, we should avoid publicly demeaning them. If we take the high road and state we support their right to peacefully assemble and air their grievances, they may see us as the good guys/gals we are, and not the gun nuts they thought we were.

As with many things in life you will find that, often there are more things to bind us together than to divide us. Just saying sugar & spice works far better than urine & vinegar in most cases.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 10-17-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    We (OCers) do not like being called names such as zealots, nutts, gun whacko's etc... yet some of us are willing to poke fun at these folks? Now they may not make a lot of sense to some of us but, remember we don't make a lot of sense to most Americans yet. My understanding of this group is they take issue (however disorganized) with the 1% of US corporations and Uber wealthy that get special breaks, benefits etc... I don't have a dog in this fight. The way I see it is we should make it very clear that we support all constitutional rights, especially those such as the 1A, that benefit directly from the 2A and vice versa. Whether we agree with them or not, we should avoid publicly demeaning them. If we take the high road and state we support their right to peacefully assemble and air their grievances, they may see us as the good guys/gals we are, and not the gun nuts they thought we were.

As with many things in life you will find that, often there are more things to bind us together than to divide us. Just saying sugar & spice works far better than urine & vinegar in most cases.
    Most of the interviews with the OWS people show that they have no clue to why they are protesting beyond their hatred of the rich.

I do share the dislike (as a very few have articulated) of crony capitalism, but I would not dare associate with the union thugs or Communist sympathizers joining the ranks of the clueless.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WCrawford View Post
    Most of the interviews with the OWS people show that they have no clue to why they are protesting beyond their hatred of the rich.

I do share the dislike (as a very few have articulated) of crony capitalism, but I would not dare associate with the union thugs or Communist sympathizers joining the ranks of the clueless.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk
    Wasn't suggesting anyone associate with them, was just trying to stop the bash fest going on here; as we are smarter than that in my opinion Nothing worse than being labeled gun nuts that do not support the bill of rights
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 10-17-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

You are absolutely right, we should be careful with RIGHTS.

The Protesters for OWS have RIGHTS - Peacefully Assemble and Freedom of Expression. On this point we agree - we should support those RIGHTS.

The Posters on OCDO have RIGHTS - Freedom of Association and Freedom of Expression (as allowed by Forum Rules). On this point we disagree - I support the RIGHTS of OCDO Members to EXPRESS THEMSELVES FREELY, whereas you do not. One CAN Support the Rights of OWS Protesters WHILE Freely Expressing Themselves, whether they AGREE with the Message or Not.

Personally, I would rather others see us for what we are - Supportive Of Rights.

Sure they have rights... no one here said they didn't. Absolutely 1,000% they should beable to protest.. I believe the KKK should beable to hold their protests and I would stand up for their right to do as such... evne though I know they are complete morons and their way of thinking is worthy of ridicule. Even the westboro idiots... they have the right to protest... and I support that. Though I wish everyone would just ignore them.. they crave the attention.

As far as comments of treat them nice so they will see what great guys we are... well good luck with that..

I can agree with treat them nice because we're good people and we follow the golden rule.. but we likely will NEVER see any return from our behavior.

I think the protesters are misguided and ill informed. Corporations don't pay taxes. They pass the tax cost along to the end consumer.

I agree whole heartedly with the person that referenced cronie capatalism, and there definately needs to be steps taken to keep people on the up and up, but the people crying about "redistribution of wealth" apparently don't realize what a EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT is.

40-50% of the people don't pay fed. taxes. Many of them get the earned income tax credit that is REFUNDABLE, so they end up getting FREE MONEY.

Mystifies me why they think they should get MORE and PAY LESS... huh?

I like this speech from one of my fav. movies though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ8imPmQ0js

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post

I can agree with treat them nice because we're good people and we follow the golden rule.. but we likely will NEVER see any return from our behavior.
    That isnt the point.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    You are absolutely right, we should be careful with RIGHTS.

The Protesters for OWS have RIGHTS - Peacefully Assemble and Freedom of Expression. On this point we agree - we should support those RIGHTS.

The Posters on OCDO have RIGHTS - Freedom of Association and Freedom of Expression (as allowed by Forum Rules). On this point we disagree - I support the RIGHTS of OCDO Members to EXPRESS THEMSELVES FREELY, whereas you do not. One CAN Support the Rights of OWS Protesters WHILE Freely Expressing Themselves, whether they AGREE with the Message or Not.

Personally, I would rather others see us for what we are - Supportive Of Rights.
    Really, you think that? I support ALL OF "OUR" rights. The problem is your "OUR" is the OC community or anyone else you agree with. My "OUR" is all US citizens, regardless if I agree with them or not. I was simply pointing out that "we" get upset when others rip on us for our legal activities, so to do this to others who are exercising their rights lawfully is hypocritical at best. WORDSMITH AWAY PD....

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    That isnt the point.

What is your point?

Banned
    Doing unto others isnt about what they might do for you, its about doing it out of kindness or simply character.

They might follow your lead.

Really, you think that? I support ALL OF "OUR" rights. The problem is your "OUR" is the OC community or anyone else you agree with. My "OUR" is all US citizens, regardless if I agree with them or not. I was simply pointing out that "we" get upset when others rip on us for our legal activities, so to do this to others who are exercising their rights lawfully is hypocritical at best. WORDSMITH AWAY PD....
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle, Post #10
    Important part bolded above for emphasis. Telling others to "avoid" certain postings is against Freedom of Expression.

There's plenty of open carriers at Occupy Phoenix.

AZ Militia even showed up in full battle rattle.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    my personal feeling in suggesting open carry at an occupy protest is not that open carry would necessarily support the specific message. more that it would support the right of those to bring their message without harassment. a first and second amendment hand in hand situation.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Will do!

Important part bolded above for emphasis. Telling others to "avoid" certain postings is against Freedom of Expression.
    So saying we should avoid demeaning a group of people (regardless if we like them or not) is not stripping anyone of their freedom of expression - PLEASE - that's the best argument you have PD? You would cowardly suggest I shrug off my right to voice my concern with how negative the thread was becoming? Isn't that the very thing you are accusing me of? It's my opinion, that is all. Hey flame away at any large group or individuals you want, that is your right. Now is that helping how we are perceived by the general public who may read this forum? Probably not.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 10-18-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    my personal feeling in suggesting open carry at an occupy protest is not that open carry would necessarily support the specific message. more that it would support the right of those to bring their message without harassment. a first and second amendment hand in hand situation.
    I like your passion Sir. I would happily stand with you in support of all civil liberties. From the tone of this thread I don't think many others feel the same here....? I guess some peoples freedoms are off limits, but go ahead and trample the rights of anyone else outside of the 2A "circle of trust".

So saying we should avoid demeaning a group of people (regardless if we like them or not) is not stripping anyone of their freedom of expression - PLEASE - that's the best argument you have PD? You would cowardly suggest I shrug off my right to voice my concern with how negative the thread was becoming? Isn't that the very thing you are accusing me of? It's my opinion, that is all. Hey flame away at any large group or individuals you want, that is your right. Now is that helping how we are perceived by the general public who may read this forum? Probably not.
    You suggested that people here on OCDO should not express Negative Expressions towards these OWS People. To me, that is not supporting Freedom of Expression and I pointed that out which apparently you take issue with. Whether or not it "helps our cause", I did not address whatsoever.

To date, I have not expressed ANY POSITION HERE ON OCDO TOWARDS OWS.

I thought you were better that to attempt to engage in Personal Attacks, but these threads and others have shown you different that I believed you to be.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    As far as comments of treat them nice so they will see what great guys we are... well good luck with that..

I can agree with treat them nice because we're good people and we follow the golden rule.. but we likely will NEVER see any return from our behavior. .

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Doing unto others isnt about what they might do for you, its about doing it out of kindness or simply character.

They might follow your lead.

You must not read very well. Obviously following the golden rule is about treating others how you would like to be treated... and for that reason only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast