• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Ohio, does it apply to a pedestrian or cyclist?

O2BaNurse

Greetings,
I am new and have some questions. I read Ohio has an "open carry" law. Does anyone know if this covers a pedestrian or someone using a bycicle? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
SRL

since9

Campaign Veteran
This would best be asked in the Ohio section. In general, however, unless the law specifically restricts the mode of transportation, it applies to any mode of transportation.

For example, here in Colorado open carry isn't allowed on public transportation. So, guess which mode of transportation I don't use?

Redbaron007

Welcome ! :)

Definitely check out your state laws. IMO, if your state allows OC, it's highly probably it will be restricted on public transportation; however, carrying on your bike seems logical...however, since when were bureaucrats logical !:lol: Be sure to check to see if local municipalities can restrict carrying too.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Welcome ! :)

Definitely check out your state laws. IMO, if your state allows OC, it's highly probably it will be restricted on public transportation; however, carrying on your bike seems logical...however, since when were bureaucrats logical !:lol: Be sure to check to see if local municipalities can restrict carrying too.

Since I've gotten back into cycling, I'm sorely tempted to strap on over my cycling gear. I'd prefer a mid-frame all-weather holster, but have yet to find one. What I've found is that most road cyclists are strongly opposed to self-defense. That might be because the throw themselves in front of much more massive vehicles on a regular basis. Many mountain biking cyclists, however, are more amenable to carry.

Deanimator

There is no "open carry law" in Ohio. That makes it lawful. That's backed up by legal precedent.

Apart from areas which prohibit carry under state or federal law (there are NO local gun laws in Ohio), the only limitations on open carry apply to carry in vehicles. You cannot carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle without an Ohio CHL or recognized equivalent.

On foot, you need no CHL (or equivalent) to open carry a loaded handgun. In fact, you don't even need any ID.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Since I've gotten back into cycling, I'm sorely tempted to strap on over my cycling gear. I'd prefer a mid-frame all-weather holster, but have yet to find one. What I've found is that most road cyclists are strongly opposed to self-defense. That might be because the throw themselves in front of much more massive vehicles on a regular basis. Many mountain biking cyclists, however, are more amenable to carry.

I do agree with the statements in BOLD. I CCW a little P32 in a Fobus Paddle holster; my jersey is loose so it doesn't show unless the wind catches it just right. Some of my road buddies & our bike club were very critical of folks open carrying. My case was for self-defense; we do a lot of rural riding and unfriendly dogs can be a problem. Mace/Pepper spray isn't all that effective, then it gets all over the rider. We do travel through a city that is not OC friendly, so it's just easier to CCW on those routes.

Now when I am riding the trails, I will open carry with no comments. I've shot a few dogs, my buddies where very happy I was carrying.:cool:

since9

Campaign Veteran
You cannot carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle without an Ohio CHL or recognized equivalent.

On foot, you need no CHL (or equivalent) to open carry a loaded handgun. In fact, you don't even need any ID.

Dean, how're the efforts to resolve this schizophrenic approach going? Any inroads with respect to getting it resolved?