• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to Texas next week

tcmech

I will only be visiting on business for a couple of days and was planning to bring my little friend with me, what are the laws regarding carry in Austin? Establishments that serve alcohol, school zones, etc. that I may need to pay attention to what I am doing?

Thanks, Craig

tcmech

I have a Virginia Concealed Carry Permit. It appears that there is reciprocity with Texas and Virginia. I will only be there a few days and am more concerned with details such as printing, gun free zones, and firearms carried in places that serve alcohol.

Here you can open carry in a place that serves alcohol and consume if you wish. You may conceal carry in a place that serves alcohol and not consume without being guilty of a misdemeanor.

I will also be bringing my digital voice recorder and if there are any issues with the use of them in Texas that would be nice to know.

Thanks, Craig

mark-in-texas

Welcome to Texas! If you were coming down near Houston I'd invite you to the range for some trigger time!!

Texas' CHL law does mean CONCEALED. Just covering a weapon, but still being able to tell it's a weapon is not allowed. However, if you get 'caught' most ( oh..90%) of Texas leos will just warn you to do a better job concealing. You can carry in to establishments that serve alcohol but you can't drink. GFZs are the usual; schools, courts etc. Other places can post signage forbiding CC, but it must comply with Texas Penal Code section 30.06. Liscencees can legally ignore any other sign such as the 'gunbuster' or simple 'No Weapons.'

Hope that helps and ya'll enjoy your visit to the Great State of Texas!

steveincowtown

You can carry in to establishments that serve alcohol but you can't drink.

Hope that helps and ya'll enjoy your visit to the Great State of Texas!

This is not correct. If you go into a restaurant/bar you will see one of two signs. If the sign has a red "51%" you cannot carry there. If the signs is blue you are good to go. Although you can carry while drinking I would advise against it as our state laws are very ambiguous about the definition of "intoxicated" with regards to carrying.

tcmech

Thank you for the responses everyone, I do appreciate you helping keep me straight while I am visiting.

flb_78

Cut and pasted from http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6994

This is a list of locations that are statutorily off-limits to CHL's per Texas law. It does not include federal law. The list is divided into to categories; those that are off-limits whether or not a 30.06 sign is posted and those that are off-limits only if a 30.06 sign is posted. Please note that giving a verbal warning that no guns are allowed on the property is an alternative to posting a 30.06 sign.

All statutorily designated "off-limits" locations apply only to the "premises" as statutorily defined inTPC §46.035(f)(3) below, unless otherwise stated.

Off-limits to CHL's even if no 30.06 sign is posted:
School buildings - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
School grounds where a school sponsored activity is on-going - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
School bus, or other school passenger transportation vehicle. - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
Polling place on election day (including early voting) - TPC §46.03(a)(2)
Court or court office. - TPC §46.03(a)(3)
Race track (licensed for betting) - TPC §46.03(a)(4)
Airport secured area (past metal-detectors in terminal building) TPC §46.03(a)(5)
Within 1,000 feet of a place of execution on the day of an execution, but only if given notice (not a 30.06 notice). - TPC §46.03(a)(6)
51% locations ("bars") - businesses that derive 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption. TPC §46.035(b)(1)
Highschool, collegiate, interscholastic, or professional sporting events. TPC §46.035(b)(2).
Correctional facility - TPC §46.035(b)(3).

You can carry into restaurants that serve alcohol and the only restriction on drinking and carrying is that one cannot be intoxicated. I would advise against it though because "intoxicated" is up to the arresting officer's discretion and one would have to PROVE that they were not intoxicated.

tcmech

Had a pretty good time, made it to Academy Sports in Austin, it was really too bad that I couldn't buy any of the toys behind the counter. I made it to a few other places around town. County line BBQ was good, the pork ribs were awesome. The weather was a lot warmer there than here at home in Va.

I didn't get too much time away from the business conferences that seemed to take up the entire time I was there, but I did enjoy myself. It would be really nice if you could open carry.