• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To OC or Not To OC is the Question

ImJustMylan

I have seen in several topics mainly directed towards me and my opinions on where I do and do not OC. The north carolina law state laws prohibit OC or CCW in the following places.

•on public or private school property.

•In any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission.

•In any establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

•In the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, or the Western Residence of the Governor, or the grounds of any of these building.

•In any building or portion of a building used for court purposes.

•In a place prohibited by federal law.

•In a law enforcement or correctional facility.

•In a building housing only state, federal or government offices.

•In any financial institution;.

•In any premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

•In any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions. It is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any “dangerous weapon” in any area under a declared state of emergency or in the immediate vicinity of a riot.

Code:
SOURCE: 

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_nc_2.htm

But what about the places that are not listed.....

Would you OC for say...

In a retirement community?
Family reunion?
Birthday Party?
Boys & Girls club?
Fitness center?
Church?
Picking up some one from the airport?
Art Gallery?

Im curious to find out where people feel they should or shouldnt OC at contrary to popular belief.

What if you could change one of the NC gun laws would you?
what would it be?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP
Would you OC for say...

Family reunion?
Birthday Party?
Boys & Girls club?
Fitness center?
Church?
Art Gallery?

Im curious to find out where people feel they should or shouldnt OC at contrary to popular belief.

what would it be?

Yes, to all of the places you listed above. The only way to change perceptions regarding where carry is acceptable is to just do it. Carry everywhere you go and most people won't even notice. Those who do typically approve of it or don't care about it. To me, none of the places you listed above are different from any other place. All are places where I should be able to defend myself by open carrying without retaliation.

Being from VA, I do sometimes travel to NC. If I had to change one law it would be the one probibiting firearms from places that charge admission, that law is just stupid.

ImJustMylan

Yes, to all of the places you listed above. The only way to change perceptions regarding where carry is acceptable is to just do it. Carry everywhere you go and most people won't even notice. Those who do typically approve of it or don't care about it. To me, none of the places you listed above are different from any other place. All are places where I should be able to defend myself by open carrying without retaliation.

Being from VA, I do sometimes travel to NC. If I had to change one law it would be the one probibiting firearms from places that charge admission, that law is just stupid.

Holy snap... Even a church? What if it was Christmas mass? LOL... I kid.... I kid....

And the whole admission thing is a little sucky for sure.. but hell if im going to a club to party i want to focus on the dancefloor and not if the person behind me has a fully loaded clip.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Would you OC for say...

In a retirement community? YES
Family reunion? YES
Birthday Party? YES - HAVE DONE SO PREVIOUSLY
Boys & Girls club? what?
Fitness center? CC'd as a matter of convenience back when I used to have a membership.
Church? YES, I have OC'd at church. Now I CC after being asked to keep it covered, but I still carry every time I'm there.
Picking up some one from the airport? CC - I freely admit that I don't have big enough balls to OC at Douglas or RDU, not sure about PTI, but I'd CC at least.
Art Gallery? Sure, why not? I've done it before.

what would it be?

See my responses above in red.

Where people shouldn't OC.... Well, I've got an uncle & aunt in Clemmons, who, while not anti 2A, they aren't really "gun people", so to speak, and I know them well enough to know that they wouldn't like me to OC at their home. They've never requested that I disarm though, so I simply CC when I go to their house. If they come to my house, then they know that there's a good likelihood that they & their kids (17 & 12) will see me OC'ing. My house, my rules. Their house, their rules.

If I could change just one of the current gun laws in NC, it would be to end the prohibition on carry in establishments that serve alcohol for the purpose of consumption. Its unfortunate that any time one goes out to eat a decent meal, one must chose between disarming or carrying in violation of the law. We almost got this one passed, but the anti-2a folks did a good job of misrepresenting the proposed changes to the law in the media, and stuck to their "Guns & Alcohol Don't Mix" mantra, neglecting the fact that the proposed change would still prohibit carrying while consuming alcohol.

chiefjason

Holy snap... Even a church? What if it was Christmas mass? LOL... I kid.... I kid....

And the whole admission thing is a little sucky for sure.. but hell if im going to a club to party i want to focus on the dancefloor and not if the person behind me has a fully loaded clip.

Honestly, you have no idea who is and is not armed. Or am I missing something?

There are places that I don't OC, but could, for personal reasons. I have a CCP and put it to good use regularly as well. I carry to protect myself. I can get that benefit with OC or CC. I OC or CC depending on a lot of factors.

What someone else want's to do is there business. There's nowhere I would tell people they should not OC as long as it's legal to do it.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
But what about the places that are not listed.....

Would you OC for say...

Family reunion?
Birthday Party?
Boys & Girls club?
Fitness center?
Church?
Art Gallery?

what would it be?

First off... dude. Size doesn't make everything better. Just use bold instead of doing the textual equivalent of shouting while at the same time shoving it down our throats.

Secondly... I would OC at all of the above places. I'm not psychic after all. I can no more deduce ahead of time where I will need a gun than anyone else can. Until the day comes that there are psychics among us, or less likely that world peace occurs.. I am OCing everyone I can legally OC. And I will always strongly suggest for everyone else to do the same.

Verd

Campaign Veteran

People get shot in churches! In my state, I wish I could carry in a church, even though I am an athiest. I still want my fellow citizens to be able to protect themselves in a church.

Why would you focus on a person carrying a firearm legally??? I am confused by this statement, while also agreeing that you should be able to carry in places that charge admission.

jag06

First, unless something has changed, you can OC in a bank, but not CC. Second, I would carry in all those places mentioned if I had to go to those places. Third, if I could change a law, it would be allow citizens to carry guns in schools and places that charge admission. Its not an easy feeling knowing that just a few hours before class someone was robbed at knife point in the bathroom that was just 10 feet away, and a girl was raped in the parking lot of the public safety building where there are about 50 cop cars coming and going. At least for now I have finished college and don't have to worry about it anymore.

aosailor

Take it easy on the OP

He's a pretty cool guy, not all that punctual, but OK in my book.... ;)

Anyway, my take on OCing is this: If I can legally carry there I carry there, no ands, ifs, or buts.

Granted when I first started OCing 4 yrs ago, I wasnt as sure of myself and the laws as I am now. Carry where you are comfortable, but be willing to expand on that and be proud that you are 1 of a few that proudly stand up show your support for the true, original American way of life

ImJustMylan

He's a pretty cool guy, not all that punctual, but OK in my book.... ;)

Anyway, my take on OCing is this: If I can legally carry there I carry there, no ands, ifs, or buts.

Granted when I first started OCing 4 yrs ago, I wasnt as sure of myself and the laws as I am now. Carry where you are comfortable, but be willing to expand on that and be proud that you are 1 of a few that proudly stand up show your support for the true, original American way of life

:lol::lol: ++++1

spiderjohn

I have seen in several topics mainly directed towards me and my opinions on where I do and do not OC. The north carolina law state laws prohibit OC or CCW in the following places.

(snip)

•In any financial institution;.

]

Since when can you not carry in a financial institution? Unless posted, you can open carry but not cc.

And please, quit yelling! :shocker:

Last edited:

MilProGuy

All in all, this is a very interesting thread and some very thought-provoking observations have been made.

In my area, there seems to be some local confusion and uneasiness about the issue of civilian open carry; so I (with a state-issued Firearms Permit) conceal carry everywhere I legally can.

Nobody is none the wiser, and I am equipped to defend myself and my wife when out in public, should the need ever arise.

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
All in all, this is a very interesting thread and some very thought-provoking observations have been made.

In my area, there seems to be some local confusion and uneasiness about the issue of civilian open carry; so I (with a state-issued Firearms Permit) conceal carry everywhere I legally can.

Nobody is none the wiser, and I am equipped to defend myself and my wife when out in public, should the need ever arise.

That's cool.

Smith45acp

Well, for most of the examples like birthday parties, reunions, church etc. there's gonna be alcohol involved even if it's just a discreet flask.

So those would be right out!

Another commonality is most of the events involve family / loved ones. So there's a dynamic we all should consider.

Here's an example of when I wouldn't OC: Meeting my girlfriend's parents for the first time unless I already knew them to be fellow gunnies.

One thing I am certain of is I will not leave my gun at home at the bequest of anyone else. But I'm willing to talk about whether it will be the shiny one OWB or the polymer one IWB

Dreamer

Would you OC for say...

In a retirement community? I would, if it wasn't posted.
Family reunion? I would, if it wasn't posted, and wasn't in a State Park or other prohibited land.
Birthday Party? I have.
Boys & Girls club? I would, if it wasn't posted.
Fitness center? I would, if it wasn't posted.
Church? I have not OCed at church, but I have CCed several times, more for discretion than for any other reason...
Picking up some one from the airport? I would, if it wasn't posted.
Art Gallery? I have in galleries that weren't posted.

what would it be?

It would be either:
--In an establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed,
--In any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission,
--or the silly prohibition against carry, transport, and purchase during a "declared state of emergency".

But those are just my top three "pet peeves". As a whole, I'd like to see the majority of the "gun control" laws abolished in NC (and nation wide), and I'd also like to see Constitutional Carry adopted and the entire CC permitting process abandoned...

chiefjason

Well, for most of the examples like birthday parties, reunions, church etc. there's gonna be alcohol involved even if it's just a discreet flask.

So those would be right out!

Let's pop this can or worms right open. Is this for personal reasons or are you basing it on something? OC'ing with alcohol in your system is not addressed in the statutes. If you are just personally against it, then no problem. If you think it's illegal, I'm just giving you a heads up. That's only addressed in the CC Scope of permit.

This outta be fun.

ImJustMylan

Let's pop this can or worms right open. Is this for personal reasons or are you basing it on something? OC'ing with alcohol in your system is not addressed in the statutes. If you are just personally against it, then no problem. If you think it's illegal, I'm just giving you a heads up. That's only addressed in the CC Scope of permit.

This outta be fun.

But the decision you made if you needed to draw fire would come under scrutiny because of the alcohol you've consumed.

chiefjason

But the decision you made if you needed to draw fire would come under scrutiny because of the alcohol you've consumed.

Possibly. But justified should continue to be justified. Now, if you do something you should not have then all bets are off. If you are going to drink enough to mess with your metal state, then carrying may be a no go. But if it's not that much, then you may choose otherwise. Just pointing out that the law is silent where OC and alcohol are concerned.