• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PC 26350 (b) (1) misdemeanor.

markm

Hello All,

PC 26350 (b) (1) states:

"(b) (1) Except as specified in paragraph (2), a violation of this section is a misdemeanor."

PC 26350 (b) (2) states:

"(2) A violation of subparagraph (A) of paragraph (1) of
subdivision (a) is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by a​
fine not to exceed one thousand dollars($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, if both of the following conditions exist:
A) The handgun and unexpended ammunition capable of being discharged from that handgun are in the immediate possession of that person.
(B) The person is not in lawful possession of that handgun."

I am a little confused by these portions of PC 26350. Why was the legislature specific about the misdemeanor punishment for having ammo on your person when it is a misdemeanor already?

Does a person who openly carries a handgun in a public place or street in an incorporated city or city and county get charged with a double misdemeanor, if he/she has matching ammo and the gun is not registered to him/her?

Why did the legislature specify the punishment for subdivison (b) paragraph (2) and not subdivision (b) paragraph (1)?

What is the punishment for a misdemeanor crime if the punishment is not written-out in the Penal Code section (as in 26350 (b) (1)?

26350 (b) (2) does not state that it is a misdemeanor or felony crime; however, the punishment is in line with a misdemeanor. Is PC 26350 (b) (2) a misdemeanor or a felony?

I hope I am writing this post well enough for people to understand my questions.

markm
IANAL (I know, it is obvious!)

Last edited:

Gundude

subdivision (a) is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by a

fine not to exceed one thousand dollars($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, if both of the following conditions exist:
A) The handgun and unexpended ammunition capable of being discharged from that handgun are in the immediate possession of that person.
(B) The person is not in lawful possession of that handgun

Sounds like you shouldn't possess a stolen handgun with ammo for it.
If both exist is the key.

camsoup

subdivision (a) is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by a

Sounds like a "wobbler" type thing... jail time OR a fine if caught UOC'ing....but if you happen to not be authorized to have said firearm you would then be both jailed AND fined...correct?? Seems like carrying someone else's gun without permission makes you more guilty of the same crime? haha

Last edited:

markm

Hey Gundude,

Yeah, I got that part.

Here is a question that I really need help with: What is the punishment for violating Section 26350 (a) (1) (2) and as partially described at (b) (1)?

Is the punishment $100.00 and a day in jail?

Or, probation for a week and the charge expunged from your record after 4 weeks?

Does the judge create his own sentencing guidelines? You know, a Brown appointee finds you guilty of a capital offense and sends you to death row? To most lefties, possession of a gun in public should be a capital offense.

I am confused, HELP ME GUNDUDE!

markm

markm

Sounds like a "wobbler" type thing... jail time OR a fine if caught UOC'ing....but if you happen to not be authorized to have said firearm you would then be both jailed AND fined...correct?? Seems like carrying someone else's gun without permission makes you more guilty of the same crime? haha

Hey camsoup,

So, as a wobbler, a person could be sentenced to two years in jail and $2,000 in fines if caught OCing with matching ammo while carrying one of his pre-registration guns (If the person can't prove he bought the gun before 1994, I am sure a big city lefty prosecutor would charge 26350 (b) (2)).

I think I agree with your opinion.

markm

Gundude

Hey Gundude,

Yeah, I got that part.

Here is a question that I really need help with: What is the punishment for violating Section 26350 (a) (1) (2) and as partially described at (b) (1)?

Is the punishment $100.00 and a day in jail?

Or, probation for a week and the charge expunged from your record after 4 weeks?

Does the judge create his own sentencing guidelines? You know, a Brown appointee finds you guilty of a capital offense and sends you to death row? To most lefties, possession of a gun in public should be a capital offense.

I am confused, HELP ME GUNDUDE!

markm

Thats a tough one.
Wait, I have it. Steal a gun and buy some ammo for it and get arrested. Report back the first chance you get. :confused:

camsoup

Hey camsoup,

So, as a wobbler, a person could be sentenced to two years in jail and $2,000 in fines if caught OCing with matching ammo while carrying one of his pre-registration guns (If the person can't prove he bought the gun before 1994, I am sure a big city lefty prosecutor would charge 26350 (b) (2)).

I think I agree with your opinion.

markm

I don't think its a 2 year and 2,000 thing....

I think it simply says you would be jailed AND fined.... instead of just jailed OR fined.

markm

I don't think its a 2 year and 2,000 thing....

I think it simply says you would be jailed AND fined.... instead of just jailed OR fined.

Hey Camsoup,

I reread 26350 (b) (2), and it is an "or," not an "and."

If you are found guilty of 26350 (a) and (b) (2), the judge may sentence you to 2 years in jail and a $2,000 fine. There are two punishable offenses, right?

markm

markm

Thats a tough one.
Wait, I have it. Steal a gun and buy some ammo for it and get arrested. Report back the first chance you get. :confused:

Hey Gundude,

I have a pre-registraion gun (purchased way before 1994). How do I prove that I legally own it?

markm

Gundude

Hey Gundude,

I have a pre-registraion gun (purchased way before 1994). How do I prove that I legally own it?

markm

All of my firearms were purchased before 1994. They was a record of the sale, but I doubt they are in the system now.
I don't think you have to prove anything. The prosecutor would have to prove you don't own them.
You might have trouble getting them back, if they were confiscated.
I keep photos, model and serial #'s of all my firearms.

Is this a test?

wildhawker

Hey Gundude,

markm

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]See, California Evidence Code regarding ownership presumption.

Evidence Code 637
, which states: "Things which a person possesses are presumed to be owned by them." They take the firearm(s) from you, therefore they were possessed by you and are presumed owned by you. They are required to give you a property receipt when they seize your firearms. If they do, that is all you need. If they do not, they violated the law. Either way, the presumption is that you own the property.

Further, see Evidence Code section 638, which states: "a person who exercises acts of ownership over property is presumed to be the owner of it." Your previous possession and your seeking the return of the property are both acts of exercising ownership, and again, the presumption is that you own the firearm(s).

-Brandon[/FONT]

Gundude

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]See, California Evidence Code regarding ownership presumption.

Evidence Code 637
, which states: "Things which a person possesses are presumed to be owned by them." They take the firearm(s) from you, therefore they were possessed by you and are presumed owned by you. They are required to give you a property receipt when they seize your firearms. If they do, that is all you need. If they do not, they violated the law. Either way, the presumption is that you own the property.

Further, see Evidence Code section 638, which states: "a person who exercises acts of ownership over property is presumed to be the owner of it." Your previous possession and your seeking the return of the property are both acts of exercising ownership, and again, the presumption is that you own the firearm(s).

-Brandon[/FONT]

Did you swallow a 100 terrabyte harddrive? :D

markm

All of my firearms were purchased before 1994. They was a record of the sale, but I doubt they are in the system now.
I don't think you have to prove anything. The prosecutor would have to prove you don't own them.
You might have trouble getting them back, if they were confiscated.
I keep photos, model and serial #'s of all my firearms.

Is this a test?

Hey Gundude,

No, this is not a test!

I respect your opinion. Period, end of story.

And, you are from Sandy Eggo, GO CHARGERS!

markm

Last edited:

markm

See, California Evidence Code regarding ownership presumption.

Evidence Code 637

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon,

markm

Lawful Aim

Presumptions, that's a good topic. Everyone is presumed to be subject to the statutes. A key to being left alone or beating a charge is to properly rebut the presumptions.

A rebuttable presumption is one that can be disproved by evidence to the contrary. The Federal Rules of Evidence and most state rules are concerned only with rebuttable presumptions, not conclusive presumptions.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/presumption