• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Updating a petition.

Trent91

I'm just wondering if the petition for Oklahoma should be updated? It is addressed to our former governor Henery, rather than our new governor Fallin who will be looking at the open carry bill should it make it to her desk in the next legislative term.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'm just wondering if the petition for Oklahoma should be updated? It is addressed to our former governor Henery, rather than our new governor Fallin who will be looking at the open carry bill should it make it to her desk in the next legislative term.

What petition? Do you have a link?

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I would wonder if changing the petition in any way might invalidate the signatures that were obtained prior to the edit? Just a thought. If I signed a petition, then someone changed it in some way, I'm not sure that I would still want my name on it...

Trent91

I would wonder if changing the petition in any way might invalidate the signatures that were obtained prior to the edit? Just a thought. If I signed a petition, then someone changed it in some way, I'm not sure that I would still want my name on it...

Good point, although we wouldn't be changing the contents of the petition. Only updating the name of the person in office. Same office and everything, just different person in the office.

DCR

Ethically you can't change a thing. Do a new one.

Any change, however slight, completely invalidates it. You have to realize that some of the signers may be dead, have changed their mind about the issue, or don't want to address the new governor in that way.

It would completely undermine the credibility of the persons or organization submitting the "new" petition, and hurt the overall cause, if you were to just "change the names and dates" and re-submit it. It's kind of like submitting a copy of a note from Mom six times in a row when you're late or absent.

Besides, politicos live and die on the most current polls and information - smart ones wouldn't even give a stale petition a second glance before tossing it in the trash, and with good reason: they want the most recent, valid information in order to set their policy.

Do a new one - it'll have credibility and more of an impact.