• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Property owner shot, killed burglar

Verd

Campaign Veteran
[url]http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110926/NEWS12/110926004/Police-Property-owner-shot-killed-burglar[/url] said:
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A suspected burglar is dead after being shot and killed by the owner of the St. Louis home he was allegedly burglarizing.

KSDK-TV (http://bit.ly/nop1Gm )
St. Louis (KSDK)-- St. Louis Police are questioning a property owner who shot and killed a burglar inside a home in the 5600 block of Maple in north St. Louis overnight.

Investigators say the property owner was allegedly victimized earlier in the day Sunday at the property, and returned to the home just before 1:00 a.m. Monday to find a man inside the building.

Police say the man opened fire on the intruder inside the residence. The alleged burglar was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

The latest incident is similar to an incident last week in South City, where a house sitter opened fire on a man who kicked in the back door of a house in the 2800 block of Magnolia.

The sitter shot and killed the intruder with a single gunshot to the chest.

The shooter in the overnight incident is now being interviewed by police.

KSDK
reports that the shooting happened about 1 a.m. Monday. Police say the man opened fire on the intruder inside the home. The alleged intruder was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Investigators say the property owner had been victimized on Sunday, then returned home Monday morning to find the man inside the building.
I'm all for the property owner in this, though it seems that since the police are interviewing the guy he might have broken some sort of law? I thought the Castle Doctrine is absolute, that you are free assume a deadly threat from anyone in your home that is there by breaking in...

In the comments, there was another story that I am trying to find out about, since it deals with reasons for self-defense at gas stations:

I'm a big fan of the city, so much history, entertainment, fun there. But the safety level is scary. And from what happened last week, you definatly can't count on police protection there. One of the local TV stations ran a story about a couple moving from Indiana to St L, stopped at a convenience store, and the husband was shot in the chest, in a crossfire of two shooters. When 911 was called, a police officer responded, and sat in the parking lot for 20+ minutes before leaving his patrol car when backup arrived. All on security cam.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Do you have any idea about the supposedly broken law? Perhaps it is just routine questioning after a self-defense shooting in order to make sure everything is on the level. I am glad the homeowner is okay and was able to defend himself. Also hope he kept his mouth closed and asked for an attorney.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Do you have any idea about the supposedly broken law? Perhaps it is just routine questioning after a self-defense shooting in order to make sure everything is on the level. I am glad the homeowner is okay and was able to defend himself. Also hope he kept his mouth closed and asked for an attorney.

Haven't heard anything new about this one. I'm hoping that the police were really just confirming the events, but the reporters were making it sound more sensational and anti-gun.

lil_freak_66

as far as i know, its SOP for self defense shootings for the victim to be interviewed and investigated at least a little bit in most states, some states even require every single one to go to a Jury i believe(Texas?)

Verd

Campaign Veteran
as far as i know, its SOP for self defense shootings for the victim to be interviewed and investigated at least a little bit in most states, some states even require every single one to go to a Jury i believe(Texas?)

Thanks. I was suspecting that an interview was common practice... but calling it an "investigation" makes it sound so much worse, as though there was something wrong in defending your life.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks. I was suspecting that an interview was common practice... but calling it an "investigation" makes it sound so much worse, as though there was something wrong in defending your life.

The is a diffence between being interviewed[SUP]1[/SUP] and being investigated[SUP]2[/SUP] and being interrogated[SUP]3[/SUP]. Seems the reportologist got it pretty much right in this case.

[SUP]1[/SUP] - "Just the facts, Ma'm."

[SUP]2[/SUP] - collecting fingerprints and other evidence. Could be used to either corroborate or challenge the story given.

[SUP]3[/SUP] - "We know you are not telling the truth. Come clean or we'll waterboard you again." (The new "Ve haf vays uf makink you talk" and does not get the pliers all messy.)

stay safe.

stay safe.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
The is a diffence between being interviewed[SUP]1[/SUP] and being investigated[SUP]2[/SUP] and being interrogated[SUP]3[/SUP]. Seems the reportologist got it pretty much right in this case.

[SUP]1[/SUP] - "Just the facts, Ma'm."

[SUP]2[/SUP] - collecting fingerprints and other evidence. Could be used to either corroborate or challenge the story given.

[SUP]3[/SUP] - "We know you are not telling the truth. Come clean or we'll waterboard you again." (The new "Ve haf vays uf makink you talk" and does not get the pliers all messy.)

stay safe.

stay safe.

Thanks for the clarification on terminology. Still, I don't like how "investigated" sounds in regards to a self-defense shooting.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"...a house sitter opened fire on a man who kicked in the back door ..."

Yeah, I don't know what part of any state's castle law this may have violated, unless California now requires homeowners to request ID of criminals in order to ascertain they have no business being there...