• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Reciprocity bill HR 822

bill gray

I wonder how the govt of Puerto Rico will react if HR 822 passes? (See NRA ILA site for full info) Will only people who live part time in PR be able to carry because they have a LIcense to Carry from their home state? Will the people of Puerto Rico be able to get a License by mail from Florida or Utah and then carry using that? Having large numbers of ordinary people suddenly posessing the right to carry with no local control to discourage it may be a big adjustment for the govt to make. It may be ugly. Be careful if you are among the first.

mrjam2jab

I wonder how the govt of Puerto Rico will react if HR 822 passes? (See NRA ILA site for full info) Will only people who live part time in PR be able to carry because they have a LIcense to Carry from their home state? Will the people of Puerto Rico be able to get a License by mail from Florida or Utah and then carry using that? Having large numbers of ordinary people suddenly posessing the right to carry with no local control to discourage it may be a big adjustment for the govt to make. It may be ugly. Be careful if you are among the first.

Couldn't find one of the other 822 threads to post this question in? :p

PR is not a state...I don't think the bill would effect them at all. Even if it did, the people that live in PR would have to get a permit from PR to carry there. Now, if HR 2900 passed...and did effect PR, THEN they could carry in PR on a FL permit.

bill gray

Puerto Rico will be affected

As I said in post #1, see NRA ILA for full details. Top of the Home Page:"U.S. House Committee Advances National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act. Click on HERE in last line (For detailed information on athe legislation, click HERE.)

Which leads to "Right-to-Carry The National Right-toCarry Reciprocity Bell" In the middle of the very first paragraph it says "The bill applies to D.C., PUERTO RICO and U.S. Territories."

Why did I post here on the Puerto Rico re Puerto Rico? I spend half the year in Puerto Rico. The process to obtain a License to Carry is so expensive, complicated and time consuming that I never tried. Just to buy, own and keep a firearm in the home is a long process. Ditto the permit to go to a pistol range which is separate from just owning. The restrictions on buying and keeping ammo are so tight that you would think the bullets could fire themselves. I am excited about the possibility of being able to just show my PA LTCF and short circuit a lot of the process.

The laws in PR are so restrictive that very few people get a license/permit. That makes the whole island a victim disarmament zone. Licensed carriers are casually lumped in with criminals by the police and the press. Tales of self defense are very rare in the news and the defender is referred to in suspicious terms by the news media. I think that legal carriers avoid any notice because they fear the govt will focus on them and find some way to cancel what few licenses/permits there are to just own let alone carry.

There is no such thing as a gun show. At a gun store, you cannot even handle a firearm until you have a permit to buy the one you want. Police can visit your home at any time and demand entry to verify that your legally owned firearms are safely stored in their opinion. It is a different world that I know something about.

Did I answer your question and clarify the facts for you senor jalea?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm pretty sure they amended it to remove D.C. since the residents of D.C. cannot carry.

kcgunfan

Technically, an amendment was voted down to permit DC carry. I wish I could find out what was discussed before voting it down.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

mrjam2jab

Ok...so on further research 822 would affect PR. Since they do have a permitting process in place, they would have to recognize all other states' permits...similar to NJ and HI, who very rarely issue permits to residents.

However, the bill wouldn't have any effect on DC as DC does not have a permitting process.

Jared

Couldn't find one of the other 822 threads to post this question in? :p

PR is not a state...I don't think the bill would effect them at all. Even if it did, the people that live in PR would have to get a permit from PR to carry there. Now, if HR 2900 passed...and did effect PR, THEN they could carry in PR on a FL permit.

Incorrect, you need to read the definitions in Title 18.

The term state covers every piece of the United States and territories of all kinds. Puerto Rico, Guam, C.N.M.I. and D.C. all count as a state under Title 18. If gun owners don't cause HR 822 to be killed, you will be able to carry in Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.

The following places would not be covered under HR 822

D.C.
Illinois
American Samoa
Northern MarianasIslands

bill gray

Ojo potorros

Estas conversaciones tienen que ver con sus derechos. Favor de participar.

Attention Puerto Ricans. These conversations have to do with your rights. Please participate.

mrjam2jab

Incorrect, you need to read the definitions in Title 18.

The term state covers every piece of the United States and territories of all kinds. Puerto Rico, Guam, C.N.M.I. and D.C. all count as a state under Title 18. If gun owners don't cause HR 822 to be killed, you will be able to carry in Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.

The following places would not be covered under HR 822

D.C.
Illinois
American Samoa
Northern MarianasIslands

Yep....I corrected myself in Post #6. :D

Pete

Hello first of all Puerto Rico is not a state is a territory, in PR having a permit as we call it here is not the same at the island it is a license and it’s follows by category: Lic to possess and own a weapon; in other words to possess a weapon at home that it will not and can’t leave the premises without authorization this also includes if you own a business it also can’t leave the premises without Police authorization. To have the Lic to carry you need the following: 1 Lic to possess a weapon or Lic to possess weapons as sport… it breaks down this way Lic to possess as home owner or Head of family or as business owner , 2 then you can apply to Lic to carry that was given by the courts and you had to prove that you needed the Lic on bussines purpose cause you carried valuables and money as a business man, and 3 the Lic to possess weapons for the sport in which you can buy different weapons but cannot carry remember the gun you buy as home or business place is the one that will be authorize to carry and only 1, also if you a hunter or a farmer you can apply for other Lic as a hunter or as a farmer in which you can only have long guns !! The law in PR is very tricky everything remains the same sense the law applied itself in 1966 LEY THE ARMAS SEGUN ENMENDADA EN 1966 PUERTO RICO and it haven’t have any changes, the only thing that had change is that now instead of going to court and apply for a Lic to carry now you have to go through the Police remember in PR to have weapons is not a right is a privilege, everything goes just for political reasons if you look deeper in what is called La Masacre en lares o el famoso grito de lares were there was an uprising and many were killed after that is only a political issue to be honest the federal gov can do anything but lawmakers at the island will oppose and do the same thing that they have always have done play by their own rules remember they still fear an uprising, PR still is a very political unstable and that’s the reality believe me I serve the men in blues Policia de PR and even being a police officer it was hard for myself to have the privilege to own and possess my own weapons!!!
In Spanish it will be called ;
1 Lic de tener y poseer arma de fuego como jefe o comerciante
2 Lic de tiro al blanco deporte
3 Lic de portar arma de fuego
4 Lic caseria o Lic agricultor

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
Ok...so on further research 822 would affect PR. Since they do have a permitting process in place, they would have to recognize all other states' permits...similar to NJ and HI, who very rarely issue permits to residents.

However, the bill wouldn't have any effect on DC as DC does not have a permitting process.

DC does have a permit process. However, it is not a state. You are correct (the way I understand the bill) that the bill would not have any effect on DC.

jahwarrior

isn;'t it funny how a place like PR, with such restrictive gun laws, has so much gin violence on a daily basis? my parents live in PR, and they tell me how bad it is. luckily, my father is able to own a shotgun and rifle legally; not handguns, though. the process is too lengthy and expensive for him. for all the good HR 822 can do, this is probably the biggest deal for me. i can finally go to visit, and stay safe, and i can bring my parents the handguns they had to leave here back to them.

Jared

DC does have a permit process. However, it is not a state. You are correct (the way I understand the bill) that the bill would not have any effect on DC.

As I've explained before... for the purpose of Title 18, D.C. IS a state.

For the purpose of Title 18, any state, territory (of either kind), D.C., commonwealth, or possession of the United States is considered a "state".

D.C. would not be covered because D.C. repealed their carry law when they rewrote their laws after Heller.

chocofan

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=189&issue=003

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill applies to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. It would not create a federal licensing system; rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995