Thread: $270 per ounce

$270 per ounce

I just found the Spanish Saffron at Wal-Mart. My jaw dropped, showed it to one of the support managers and his jaw dropped. He then showed it to everyone that past by.

Never thought I'd see anything so expensive being sold at Wal-Mart. For the record they only sell it in quantities of 0.06oz for like $16 a bottle. It was the highest priced spice they had, both by ounce and SKU price.

So, who thought I was talking about some precious metal when reading the title?

Posted using my HTC Evo

Activist Member
    So, who thought I was talking about some precious metal when reading the title?
    I was thinking it was going to be about drugs.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 10-16-2011 at 04:19 PM.

yeah, my first thought was silver. and that probably shows my ignorance of silver prices.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Activist Member
    Silver - $32.16/oz http://goldprice.org/

Spanish Saffron - $270/oz. Jack's Walmart

Marijuna- $283/oz. (California = http://www.priceofweed.com/prices/Un...alifornia.html )

Gold - $1680.35/oz http://goldprice.org/

Do you know what saffron is? Do you know how it is harvested and then packaged?

And was anybody forcing you to buy it?

Yes, it is expensive*. So what? Buying a $10 DVD from Wally World when your kid needs food is also expensive. Which one makes you more upset?

This is not really directed at the OP. It's directed at the notion that just because the price is "high" something is expensive.

stay safe.

*Actually, $16 for 0.06 oz is a very reasonable price for saffron, if it is in fact real Spanish saffron.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    and heroin costs $5,214.00 an ounce :-p or roughly estimated at $200,000 a kilo which is 35. some odd ounces. why are we talking about drug prices lol
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

This is officially the most random topic that I have seen to date on OCDO. Congratulations!!!

Skid, you seem to have an inate knowledge of saffron. Out of curiosity why is it so expensive...and don't tell me to google it...
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Saffron as it is sold for seasoning is the stamen of the saffron plant. Obviously a small part of the flower which means a lot of work and man hours goes into picking and raising them causing the price to go up. Also, almost all saffron produced comes from Iran and importation as well as all other expenses and rarity all work to increase the price. This plant is a pain to grow as they aren't self replicating and male plants are sterile.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    I was close. I thought this was going to be the spice the thread was talking about.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyburnout View Post
    Saffron as it is sold for seasoning is the stamen of the saffron plant. Obviously a small part of the flower which means a lot of work and man hours goes into picking and raising them causing the price to go up. Also, almost all saffron produced comes from Iran and importation as well as all other expenses and rarity all work to increase the price. This plant is a pain to grow as they aren't self replicating and male plants are sterile.
    Close, but not quite a cigar.

What you called "the saffron plant" is a crocus - those flowers that peep up out of the snow in late winter here in North America. And yes, most cultivation is in Iran although "Spanish saffron" comes from flowers grown in Spain (whoda thunkit?). affrom from flowers grown in other places (The Netherlands, Turkey, France and a bunch more) is not called by the place/country of origin - probably because there is not much more money they can squeeze out of the point of origin issue. No matter where it's grown the stigma must be plucked by hand - 3 to 5 per bloom pulled out individually with a tweezer because tearing apart the bloom destroys too many of them.

Saffron has always been the most expensive botanical, even outstriping tulips diring the Dutch tulip wars.

I know folks who buy it in 10-pound lots - several times a week. They run a restaurant.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

He who controls the spice controls the universe. The spice must flow!

I realize that Saffron is rare and hard to produce. That you don't use that much when cooking and therefore don't have to buy an ounce unless you're running a restaurant. But $270 is still a lot of money. I found it interesting that such a high priced spice was sold at Wal-Mart, I found it surprising that it wasn't kept under lock and key, like most things at Wal-Mart.

I don't think anyone here is complaining about the price. I'm merely pointing it out because I was amazed that it cost so much. Especially when the second highest price (per ounce) was like $50 or something. And yes, I do consider it expensive. If it is as strong as I have heard, then perhaps it is not unreasonably priced. Still, what is reasonable and what is expensive is not mutually exclusive. My computer will cost me something like $1500 when I am finished building it. Is it expensive? Sure is, is it unreasonable? Absolutely not. It's actually a very reasonable price for performance to cost ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    This is officially the most random topic that I have seen to date on OCDO. Congratulations!!!
    Why thank you, kind sir!

What I think is especially funny, given the comparison in the thread: saffron vs MJ.

With saffron you have a spice which is very time intensive to produce, lots of man hours for comparatively tiny output, and the source flower only blooms once a year during a two week window.

Cannabis, on the other hand...There's a reason it's called weed, you know...because it grows like a weed. There are still millions of wild, non-cultivated (low THC content) plants growing in the wild, in ditches and forests across the US. We pay the DEA a ton of money to find this stuff and burn it.

On the other hand, the cultivated product probably doesn't take 1/1000th of the preparation or labor to produce as saffron does, yet the open market price is comparable. Kinda says to me the drug trade is mighty profitable.

I think we all know the real reason the DEA likes to burn it.

Posted using my HTC Evo

Supply and Demand.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Isn't saffron the key spice in Paella? I could see how a restaurant serving that would use a lot.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Isn't saffron the key spice in Paella? I could see how a restaurant serving that would use a lot.
    You can get by with tumeric if all you want is yellow color - and a lot of places do that because most folks have no idea how to taste what they put in their mouths.

In the last couple of years I have saved a metric ton of money by switching to cheaply made food that barely has edible ingredients, as opposed to the decent to actually darned good stuff I used to eat. Thanks to medical issues I lost my ability to taste just about anything except "heat". Used to be I could tell you what spices were used; nowadays I can make a good stab at what the predominant color of the item is.

And for all you folks discussing the price of pot - any of you old enough to remember when the local FD would come out and do a controlled burn of the vacant lots? The neighborhood turned out, and everybody stood downwind. More fun than following the DT spray truck.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Great. Now I have Donovan's "Mellow Yellow" stuck in my head!
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Isn't saffron the key spice in Paella?
    Don't know, but I had saffron rice on Sunday along with my catfish nuggets. Tasty! Not all that expensive, but it was about 2-3 times more expensive than bulk white rice.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

McX
    beer: 6.49 a 6.