• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Talk Radio - Tom Gresham

DON`T TREAD ON ME

On the wall at Gunsite:

"When you are not training, someone else is,

and when you meet him,

you will LOSE."

Training for what?

I do some moderate training, we can all train, Roll on the ground as Tom suggests, and just to be taken out by an accumalation of cheeseburgers.

I have seen videos of people who severley injured themselves while training, it would not be a stretch to believe that traning costs lives as well.

Robin47

Training for what?

I do some moderate training, we can all train, Roll on the ground as Tom suggests, and just to be taken out by an accumalation of cheeseburgers.

I have seen videos of people who severley injured themselves while training, it would not be a stretch to believe that traning costs lives as well.

Accumulation of Cheeseburgers ! +1 that's a good one :)
Yeah and what Tom said WOW ! And I thought I had some training in G-Q being a first loader on a 3 inch fifty
in the Navy Nam Vet. That's why I can't hear much anymore. So I got to keep a sharp eye out.
Then again sneaking up on an old armed deaf person could be dangerous.

Robin47 :)

Marco

Force Science does produce some excellent studies and training tools.
www.forcescience.org

snip:
• Despite their “vital role,” nearly 40% of agencies do not require firearms instructors to take refresher training once they have been certified;

• Larger departments, which statistically have greater exposure to armed encounters, tend to require fewer firearms training and/or requalifying sessions per year;

• Officers on some agencies are able to pass requalification tests even though many of their shots miss the target entirely, and those who fail to qualify may be allowed to re-shoot until they squeak by, “sometimes without diagnostic and corrective intervention.”

• On whole, “the overarching characteristic” of in-service firearms training is the “wide latitude exercised by departments”—essentially a jumble of inconsistent standards and instructional modalities that too often works to the detriment of officers, agencies, and the communities they serve.

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...1st-century-deadly-force-training-for-police/

snip:
One large agency’s officers scored a gunfight hit rate of just 11 percent during a 10-year period I analyzed. That’s a staggering statistic, but another number was even more shocking. Though the sample was admittedly small, the bad guys in those incidents also scored an 11 percent hit rate.

Their Academy Commander summed it up perfectly: “My officers get a hundred hours of firearms training in the academy and quarterly qualifications thereafter, but are hitting at the same rate as felons with no formal training? We should save all the ammunition, because our training program seems to be worthless

I believe in training.
Training should be readily available for those who want it.
It should be affordable, accurate, and encouraged.

Mandated by the government? No.
Encouraged by other gun owners? Yes!!!

For those that want to insist on training. How much training did Lance Thomas, Jim Cirillo, John W. Hardin, John Selman and the list continues......have?

For those who can't afford to go to a firearms training school, there are vidoes that can help as well as IDPA, IPSC and Paladin just use you everyday carry gear and don't become gaming.