Thread: Brand new remington 870 muzzleloader!

Brand new remington 870 muzzleloader!

Bought a brand new remmy 870 last month, took it out two weeks ago. First shot, gun locked up. Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, maybe after 5 minutes of wiggling, slide came back and I could pop a new round in. After that next shot, bam locks up again. Guy on the range had a flathead so I disassembled and removed fired shell and put it back together making sure everything was tight. Made it two shots and bam locked up. End of day 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3j2an9W47Q

Day 2, lubed up gun with remmy oil, made sure everything was tightened, went out to pit. First shot, bam locked up. Slide release is kept in the unlocked position but the slide won't come back! Disassembled, used the slide (firing pin thingy) with shell extractor to hook on shell and try to remove....no go. Had brought a rod this time and barely poked the shell and poof out it comes. wtf. Lubed it, reassembled, and tried different box of ammo. I had a box of pink target load federal 12g 8 shot from one store and regular target load federal 12g 8 shot from a different store. And some 00 buckshot for ***** and giggles. Kept locking up using different ammo. With the 00 buckshot, I got about 3-4 shots before it would lock up. Anyways, time passed before we got smart and figured out that my shotgun is a reverse muzzle loader or something like that! After every shot if you stuck a rod down the barrel it would push the shell and slide EASILY, AND EFFORTLESSLY and everything would be ok!!!! Did some skeet shooting like this, it was some exhausting ****.

Anyways, I am thinking it has to be the barrel. I really don't want to bore it out myself, I rather have a pro do it, definitely calling remmy on monday. This is my first shotty and this shotty is absolutely no reliable. And to think this was loaded with pdx1s to be my home defense!

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Hate to be the one to break this to you, but a Remington 870 is NOT a muzzle loader.

If you bought a new gun that will not function properly, take it back whence it came and let them make it right.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Hate to be the one to break this to you, but a Remington 870 is NOT a muzzle loader.

If you bought a new gun that will not function properly, take it back whence it came and let them make it right.
    I too was confused by that. This is what a muzzleloader is. What you have is one of the best PUMP-ACTION shotguns out there. If you are having a problem with it send it back to the factory or to a gunsmith. Especially if you are unsure how to fix it, you might end up voiding your warranty. Good luck!
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-16-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

It was kind of a joke, I forgot to include civil war re-enactment replica.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Well,,,

sorry to hear about alot of new guns that dont work right, not just yours.

can you rack a load of unfired shells through it, without jamming?
    with the barrel off, will the unfired shells drop into the chamber smoothly? will fired ones still fit?
    do the fired shells have a bulged brass base?
    i cant tell from the vid if the action wont open, because the shell is jammed tight or the locking lugs arent releasing.

say hi to eric for me.
    call if you want to discus.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenIsFaster View Post
    It was kind of a joke, I forgot to include civil war re-enactment replica.
    Suuuure it was....lol. Just kidding
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Defender, racking unfired shells is no problem. I'll remove the barrel later and insert the shells directly. I only have one fired shell to test and it doesn't look deformed as far as I can tell.

The fact that I removed the bolt and tried using the shell extractor pulling a shell directly from a removed barrel and it not coming out makes me think something is deformed. But the fact that pushing a rod gently down the barrel releases the shell fine confuses me.

I'm calling remmy tomorrow and see what they say. Either it goes back to outdoor emporium in seattle or back to remmy.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Just a few things to look for:

1. No offense intended but make sure you aren't firing 3" shells in a 2-3/4" chamber or 3-1/2" in a 3" chamber. This could produce the results you are getting. I believe an 870 wingmaster TB only has a 2-3/4" chamber, for instance. Firing a shell that is too long is also dangerous.

2. Like someone else said, look at a spent shell and see if there are any bulges or marks on it that weren't there before firing. If there is something bad with the machining of the chamber it may show up on the shell.

3. While observing all rules of gun safety, run the action and pull the trigger (dry fire) without a shell in the chamber and see if it locks up. Maybe there is a problem with the extractor and/or slide mechanism itself getting hung up on the gun.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 10-17-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by GreenIsFaster View Post
    Defender, racking unfired shells is no problem. I'll remove the barrel later and insert the shells directly. I only have one fired shell to test and it doesn't look deformed as far as I can tell.

The fact that I removed the bolt and tried using the shell extractor pulling a shell directly from a removed barrel and it not coming out makes me think something is deformed. But the fact that pushing a rod gently down the barrel releases the shell fine confuses me.

I'm calling remmy tomorrow and see what they say. Either it goes back to outdoor emporium in seattle or back to remmy.
    If its brand new call remington and get them to accept and repair it for free.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Update

Will have video up in a bit. I stuck a spent shell into the shotgun and it did not get stuck on its on. It slid in and slid out of the chamber quite easily. However, once I loaded it properly, it would not extract! I did not even squeeze the trigger. Spent shell seems to not have any bulges or deformations on it. Will have a talk with remmy in a bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OwEbX0Bho

Will be receiving a shipping label from remmy tomorrow, destined for oregon!
    Last edited by OrangeIsTrouble; 10-17-2011 at 04:56 PM.