• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Too Close For Comfort - Video

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Unnamed person
grainy video
man just happened to be video taping himself shooting? no other part to the video, just him shooting bottles? possible I guess.
guns don't just shoot. I'm sure a plethora of things could have happened in the gun, but to just shoot while sitting on the ground? it sounds like the hammer already dropped as well.
^ he racks out a shell (assuming a new one went in) CLICK (hammer goes down, this isn't a double action shot gun), nothing happens.
he racks again THIS TIME NO SHELL COMES OUT, nothing was extracted (is the gun empty?) he racks it forward, again CLICK, the hammer is down
he sets it on the ground in peaks around, he didn't slam it down and cause it to fire, he put it down, and after sitting down it fired.

youtube is full of these fake videos. With good video editing I could convince you of the same.

for example, this horrific AK47 accident almost looks real. it's chilling.
[video=youtube;JGzel_qj1Lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGzel_qj1Lw[/video]

EDIT: Also note the sound of the last shot gets cut off early but the video sound is not effected.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Unnamed person
grainy video
man just happened to be video taping himself shooting? no other part to the video, just him shooting bottles? possible I guess.
guns don't just shoot. I'm sure a plethora of things could have happened in the gun, but to just shoot while sitting on the ground? it sounds like the hammer already dropped as well.
^ he racks out a shell (assuming a new one went in) CLICK (hammer goes down, this isn't a double action shot gun), nothing happens.
he racks again THIS TIME NO SHELL COMES OUT, nothing was extracted (is the gun empty?) he racks it forward, again CLICK, the hammer is down
he sets it on the ground in peaks around, he didn't slam it down and cause it to fire, he put it down, and after sitting down it fired.

youtube is full of these fake videos. With good video editing I could convince you of the same.

for example, this horrific AK47 accident almost looks real. it's chilling.
[video=youtube;JGzel_qj1Lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGzel_qj1Lw[/video]

EDIT: Also note the sound of the last shot gets cut off early but the video sound is not effected.

There's one in every crowd.

You couldn't convince me you video was accurate. Did you notice there was no editing in the OPs video? Watching the scenery, it would be hard to pull it off. I would call BS on your video before the OPs.

Great try, Doubting Thomas.:p

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
There's one in every crowd.

You couldn't convince me you video was accurate. Did you notice there was no editing in the OPs video? Watching the scenery, it would be hard to pull it off. I would call BS on your video before the OPs.

Great try, Doubting Thomas.:p

Holy crap, I can't believe someone thought I was serious with the video I posted...

Listen to the gun shot and tell me it's not edited. OP video is fake. No name? Grainy Video? Crappy sound effect? And we are also to believe that this shot gun that has already dropped the hammer on the firing pin fired while sitting still.

Redbaron007

Holy crap, I can't believe someone thought I was serious with the video I posted...

Listen to the gun shot and tell me it's not edited. OP video is fake. No name? Grainy Video? Crappy sound effect? And we are also to believe that this shot gun that has already dropped the hammer on the firing pin fired while sitting still.

Holy Cow....I couldn't believe tried to make a point with a that video! :D

Watch the leaves away from the idiot. There are generally some telltale signs, the sound isn't that much of a concern. That could be just from the cameras. Mics don't pick up gun shots all that too well to begin with. If it is edited, they did a great job. IMHO.

I'm not sure it being edited has any relevance since the point is gun safety; this dude is a great example of NOT...regardless if it was edited. Sometimes you have to illustrate the absurdity with the absurdity!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

I take this back. Watching this a 2nd time I can say the editing is pretty terrible if this video was to actually convince someone that this guy shot his hat off.

The video is fake. I am sorry. If you've never been into video editing perhaps this could fool you, but if you know anything about editing then you should have the eyes to catch several errors in the video. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to be able to tell that the last gun shot was added in during editing. Like I said earlier, the last shot is cut off while background sound remains constant. If this video is real why did he have to edit it to add in a gun shot sound? Easy...because it's not real. Watch the slow mo at the end. Look at the rifle. Watch the barrel disappear for a frame. Tell me this is real now, Redbaron007. "There is one in every crowd." < lulz.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Looks crazy, but just crazy enough to be true.

Agreed. I knew a guy who shot himself. It happens.

the last shot is cut off while background sound remains constant. If this video is real why did he have to edit it to add in a gun shot sound? Easy...because it's not real. Watch the slow mo at the end. Look at the rifle. Watch the barrel disappear for a frame.

Seems to be so.

Redbaron007

I take this back. Watching this a 2nd time I can say the editing is pretty terrible if this video was to actually convince someone that this guy shot his hat off.

The video is fake. I am sorry. If you've never been into video editing perhaps this could fool you, but if you know anything about editing then you should have the eyes to catch several errors in the video. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to be able to tell that the last gun shot was added in during editing. Like I said earlier, the last shot is cut off while background sound remains constant. If this video is real why did he have to edit it to add in a gun shot sound? Easy...because it's not real. Watch the slow mo at the end. Look at the rifle. Watch the barrel disappear for a frame. Tell me this is real now, Redbaron007. "There is one in every crowd." < lulz.

I know a little about editing; photography is a hobby of mine, still and video.

I've viewed the video on several other youtube accounts; the same pixilation occurs. The barrel blurs because of the shot from the gun. When you run this video frame by frame, there is no change in stance, position of the gun, shadows etc. Sound not exactly matching is not the tale tell sign of editing. The amount of pixilling in the video would also make editing more noticeable.

Now, was it staged? Did he know the shotgun was going to go off? Was there someone off camera that pulled a string to make it go off? Beats the devil out of me.

Redbaron007

Maybe you can explain how the stock turned to rubber ( bends about 20 degrees ) at the 23 second mark.

Everyone is focused on the bbl. but watch the stock in slow motion mode. It is a fake.

What I see is pixilling. The video is poor quality, any editing of the video would be easy to see.

Verd

Campaign Veteran

This. The video is clearly fake.

CO-Joe

I know a bit about photo and video, and audio too. In fact, that's what I do for a living. Fake video is fake, and surprisingly unconvincing considering how viral it's gone in recent time--I think I first seen it several years ago.

Wanna see some real, convincing video editing? Try Freddie Wong's videos on youtube. He and his gang have quite the knack for making very cool, low budget SFX, and integrating them into real life video.

[video=youtube;7XzdZ4KcI8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzdZ4KcI8Y[/video]
[video=youtube;6nQzs48Tt9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQzs48Tt9U[/video]
[video=youtube;T819usZLQtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T819usZLQtE[/video]

In fact, it's getting to the point where anyone and everyone should be increasingly skeptical of shocking things they might see, because the cost and difficulty of performing these kinds of edits editing has gone down so much. Ten years ago, and these sort of cute videos would have required a small Hollywood style budget to produce at the same quality, and the non-pro version would have looked like the doofus and his shotgun.