Other ways to look at this:
1. A double-tap with the best 9mm packs as much punch as a single round of your average .44 mag.
2. A 10mm Auto packs as much punch as a .357.
3. .38 Specials don't pack much punch at all, only slightly more than a .380, which packs less than 1/5th the punch of the best .44 mag loads.
My conclusions based on this are:
1. I like my 16+1 9mm. It might not pack as much single-shot punch as other options, but it's very controllable.
2. If I were to purchase another auto today, it would be a 10mm.
3. If I were to purchase a revolver for CC, it would be a .357 mag.
4. If I were to purchase a revolver for OC, it would be a .44 mag.
5. I would never rely on a .380 ACP to stop a bad guy.
6. .38 specials are indeed "special." Say that with a Church Lady twist and you'll get my drift.