• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC for the first time

heartsglory

I was visiting a close friend in Owensboro Saturday. I decided that it was time to OC. I carried the only pistol I have - a replica 1858 Remington New Army cap and ball. I loaded it before leaving my house. I went to Lowe's to help my friend out with some things he needed for his first home he bought not too long ago. Out of only 2-3 people who noticed the revolver one lady asked a question: a worker at Lowe's. She asked "Do you always pack a gun out in the open like that?" I responded "This is my first time ma'am." She responded "I didn't think you could just carry it out in the open." Her eyes began to get REALLY wide-open. I could tell that she was a bit nervous. I simply said "Ma'am you can certainly carry out in the open. Besides, look at it this way: if I were a criminal, I would not carry it out in the open like this." The cashier happen to smile, turn to look at her co-worker and said "You know he's right. Besides, if he was a criminal, he could not even have a gun."

Of course this whole time I was nervous thinking she would start yelling out of fear that I have a gun, that the cops would be called, etc. None of that happened. Overall, it was fairly uneventful.

One more thing: for those that believe I should get a MODERN pistol for defense - I am not limited at all in whether I can get a modern gun or am stuck with cap and ball. here is my philosophy: I know my gun and what it can and cannot do. The type of gun does not matter at all if I don't know how to use it.

Johnburns15

It sound like you had a great experience. Congrats.
And it's always a great feeling when you go to educate someone about the law and they actually want to listen instead of wanting to tell you that you are wrong and they are right.

Johnburns15

And u agree with you completely about your firearm, if your going to carry something it should be something you know how to use. In the event you do have to use it, it's safer for you and anyone else around then having a firearm you aren't exactly sure about.

Thos.Jefferson

Remmy

I was visiting a close friend in Owensboro Saturday. I decided that it was time to OC. I carried the only pistol I have - a replica 1858 Remington New Army cap and ball. I loaded it before leaving my house. I went to Lowe's to help my friend out with some things he needed for his first home he bought not too long ago. Out of only 2-3 people who noticed the revolver one lady asked a question: a worker at Lowe's. She asked "Do you always pack a gun out in the open like that?" I responded "This is my first time ma'am." She responded "I didn't think you could just carry it out in the open." Her eyes began to get REALLY wide-open. I could tell that she was a bit nervous. I simply said "Ma'am you can certainly carry out in the open. Besides, look at it this way: if I were a criminal, I would not carry it out in the open like this." The cashier happen to smile, turn to look at her co-worker and said "You know he's right. Besides, if he was a criminal, he could not even have a gun."

Of course this whole time I was nervous thinking she would start yelling out of fear that I have a gun, that the cops would be called, etc. None of that happened. Overall, it was fairly uneventful.

One more thing: for those that believe I should get a MODERN pistol for defense - I am not limited at all in whether I can get a modern gun or am stuck with cap and ball. here is my philosophy: I know my gun and what it can and cannot do. The type of gun does not matter at all if I don't know how to use it.

That's what I carry. I also have the 51/2" barrel version(it'll actually fit in the glove box) but I prefer the 8" barrel, shoots like a laser.

mem1977

I've been carrying since August 2011 and I have always had a great experience. Never have had any problems with police or anyone in my area. Personally I think its all in how you dress walk, talk, and carry yourself in public. CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST TIME!

:banana::monkey