• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flood of permits for concealed carry likely in Wisconsin

protias

applications that are submitted in person should be processed on the spot...so that they don't fall too far behind.

I'm going to hold my breathe on that one. The DOJ has been dragging its feet the entire time. The permits are supposed to be done already, but we cannot even apply for a permit until Nov 1. What's the point of having them available if we cannot even apply for one?!

HandyHamlet

By "flood of permits" someone at the DOJ heard a few of us were planning on coming in first thing Nov !. And than outdoorsman1 was going to squat overnight.

I guess "flood" is anything over three for the DOJ.

mrjam2jab

I'm going to hold my breathe on that one. The DOJ has been dragging its feet the entire time. The permits are supposed to be done already, but we cannot even apply for a permit until Nov 1. What's the point of having them available if we cannot even apply for one?!

Oh, don't get me wrong...I'm not saying they WILL do it on the spot...I'm saying if they were smart they would do it on the spot.

Outdoorsman1

The Honerable Mr. Hamlet wrote...

By "flood of permits" someone at the DOJ heard a few of us were planning on coming in first thing Nov !. And than outdoorsman1 was going to squat overnight.

Damn... Now that the word is out... Maybe I will "squat" in Nija or Stealth Mode as to give the misconceptitve (hows that for a word) appearence that I am not really there, when in fact I will be there.... or maybe not there, but over this-a-way, or wait... I might be over that-a-way.... but I most definetley will not be here...

Again, this ALL depends on availability of the applications and now the "form" that has to be signed to confirm non-revocation of my permit that I got last month.... :mad: :banghead:

If one or the other are not available, I will delay my adventure until they are...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

like I was saying in another similar post , we can all expect an instant 3-4 month Backlog, they don't have the staffing to process those numbers expeditiously. so the legal 21 + 45 day time frame is not going to happen..for Many of the first applicants it will mean you might get your permit February or March maybe even later. I won't hold my breath on getting my permit that I will apply for on Nov 1st before mid Feb to late March... if I do get it earlier than that I will consider myself one of the lucky ones.. with all the media hype this has gotten over the last year, I would not be shocked to see 100,000 - 250,000 applications flood the DOJ on the first day or two, with thousands more coming in each day for at least the first month...

oliverclotheshoff

The Honerable Mr. Hamlet wrote...

Damn... Now that the word is out... Maybe I will "squat" in Nija or Stealth Mode as to give the misconceptitve (hows that for a word) appearence that I am not really there, when in fact I will be there.... or maybe not there, but over this-a-way, or wait... I might be over that-a-way.... but I most definetley will not be here...

Again, this ALL depends on availability of the applications and now the "form" that has to be signed to confirm non-revocation of my permit that I got last month.... :mad: :banghead:

If one or the other are not available, I will delay my adventure until they are...

Outdoorsman1

im going to wear my cloak of invisibility

oliverclotheshoff

like I was saying in another similar post , we can all expect an instant 3-4 month Backlog, they don't have the staffing to process those numbers expeditiously. so the legal 21 + 45 day time frame is not going to happen..for Many of the first applicants it will mean you might get your permit February or March maybe even later. I won't hold my breath on getting my permit that I will apply for on Nov 1st before mid Feb to late March... if I do get it earlier than that I will consider myself one of the lucky ones.. with all the media hype this has gotten over the last year, I would not be shocked to see 100,000 - 250,000 applications flood the DOJ on the first day or two, with thousands more coming in each day for at least the first month...

i agree with you on this one i think 250,000 will be a little on the light side

HandyHamlet

I'm going to wear MY cloak of invisibility.

I'm going to be naked underneath. I will have thousands of CC applications printed up. I plan on running around the Capitol screaming "The British are coming! The British are coming!" on the top of my lungs while throwing the applications into the air like confetti. They will rain down like snow upon the Capitol lawn. Maybe someone should Tee-Pee the trees?

I will not stop till I am out of applications or beer.

Outdoorsman1

I'm going to wear MY cloak of invisibility.

I'm going to be naked underneath. I will have thousands of CC applications printed up. I plan on running around the Capitol screaming "The British are coming! The British are coming!" on the top of my lungs while throwing the applications into the air like confetti. They will rain down like snow upon the Capitol lawn. Maybe someone should Tee-Pee the trees?

I will not stop till I am out of applications or beer.

Ding Ding DIng.... We have a winner...

You Sir have outdone yourself.....

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman1

cloaking devices? you guys have been hanging around with the Klingons again huh?

That reminds me.... I will have to make sure my van's "Cloaking Devise" is in working order.... and when I arrive, engage my "Preditor" Camo-Suit to maintain my un-detected personna.

Outdoorsman1

oak1971

I will be shocked if the number of applicants exceeds 100,000. Of those, no more than 80,000 will be approved as no one has a clue if their training will stand up to the ever shifting requirements of doj.

Captain Nemo

In year 2004 of the 43 states that had concealed carry the mean average percentage of the adult population holding concealed carry permits was about 3.4%.

In the 2010 census the total population of Wisconsin was 5,686,986. The percentage of population of adults over 21 was about 75% or 4,265,239. 3.4% of that figure is 145,018. The table lists 18 as the breakpoint so I adjusted the figure to age 21.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/27000.html
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/55000.html
http://www.kc3.com/CCWSTATS.html
http://www.madfi.org/permitcount.asp

I think the calculations for MN and MI are more applicable than the federal numbers when trying to calculate the WI permit population.

The percentage figure for minnesota in the CCWSTATS is incorrect the figure as of 9/30/2011 is 2.2%. There are 87,755 permit to carry holders in MN.
The percentage of adults holding carry permits in MI is 1.7%.
If we use 2% as a good rule of thumb for WI. Then 2% of the 4,265,239(adult population) will calculate to 85,304 permit holders. Certainly not all applied for on the first day.

If you don't like my figures check them out. My sources are cited above.

Don't ask me where the DoJ gets figures as high as 250,000. I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity.

Last edited: