• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email from Nick on WCI offering classes

Outdoorsman1

I got an e-mail from Nick (WCI Pres.) letting me know that WCI is in talks with the DOJ on WCI certifing their own instuctors to be able to offer classes that will meet the DOJ requierments.

I am thinking if he wanted the E-mail posted here he would have done it himself.

Basically, classes will be free and he is looking for volunteers (with some qualifications).

There are some "restictions" that will be asked of any volunteers.

For details or additional info......

nik@wisconsincarry.org

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

MKEgal

Outdoorsman said:
There are some "restictions" that will be asked of any volunteers.
Yeah... and as those restrictions stand now, I know for sure 2 qualified instructors who won't be volunteering for WCI even though they're members.
Probably more than that.
Hopefully, as with the DOJ, the rules will get straightened out soon.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
? What Restrictions?

Yeah... and as those restrictions stand now, I know for sure 2 qualified instructors who won't be volunteering for WCI even though they're members.
Probably more than that.
Hopefully, as with the DOJ, the rules will get straightened out soon.

What "Restrictions" would stop someone from volunteering?

M

McX

i'm not qualified to teach much of anything. but i have offered the shop building for a place to meet for class. i'd say we could stuff 20 or so in there.

rcav8r

Restrictions were that you never charge a fee as a WCI instructor, and that if you do decide to start charging, that you surrender your WCI instructor cert.

I'd apply, but I've never taken a formal course in firearms anything.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Let's See If I Got This Right....

Restrictions were that you never charge a fee as a WCI instructor, and that if you do decide to start charging, that you surrender your WCI instructor cert.

I'd apply, but I've never taken a formal course in firearms anything.

... So we get our certification to be a WCI Concealed Carry Instructor from the efforts/monies of Wisconsin Carry, INC so we can teach concealed carry courses to Wisconsin Carry members for free.....and if we ever do want to get paid for concealed carry instruction we have to surrender our WCI Concealed Carry Instructor certificate. I have absolutely no problem with that.

For the past year or more we (Wisconsin Carry members) have been discussing this very thing and how we did not want to have to pay for training....and now that Wisconsin Carry is working hard to get some instructors certified for this free training some of us are not going to volunteer to be instructors because we want to make money doing this? I'm astounded at some of my fellow Wisconsin Carry members who won't volunteer because they cannot make money off of Wisconsin Carry.

I hope those that want to make money as a WCI instructor never sign up for a "Free" Wisconsin Carry Concealed Firearms Course.

Outdoorsman1

... So we get our certification to be a WCI Concealed Carry Instructor from the efforts/monies of Wisconsin Carry, INC so we can teach concealed carry courses to Wisconsin Carry members for free.....and if we ever do want to get paid for concealed carry instruction we have to surrender our WCI Concealed Carry Instructor certificate. I have absolutely no problem with that.

For the past year or more we (Wisconsin Carry members) have been discussing this very thing and how we did not want to have to pay for training....and now that Wisconsin Carry is working hard to get some instructors certified for this free training some of us are not going to volunteer to be instructors because we want to make money doing this? I'm astounded at some of my fellow Wisconsin Carry members who won't volunteer because they cannot make money off of Wisconsin Carry.
I hope those that want to make money as a WCI instructor never sign up for a "Free" Wisconsin Carry Concealed Firearms Course.

I don't think it is a "make money off of WCI issue, rather than they cannot make money (on their own) from the general public if they volunteer to be a WCI instuctor. Some already have their instuctors certification which would be null and void for use in instructing the general public as long as they were instructing for WCI... based on the WCI "restictions". Perhaps if WCI included already certified instuctors could teach WCI students for free and still be able to teach the general public for a fee, then maybe those instuctors would be 1st. in line to volunteer...

Just Sayin....

Just my thought ... as always.... I could be wrong.

Outdoorsman1

Edited to add... Oppps... I forget that we are still dealing with the DOJ whos has not yet even cerifed ANY instuctors

Last edited:
M

McX

i'm getting ALOT of inquireries from everybody around here; my standard reply is you can pay big bucks and get a class, or you can join Wisconsin Carry, and get the class for free when the instructors come to our district. looks like the shop may be packed with people when a class comes here. hell, i'll take the class too! i'll be here, now wont i?

M

McX

yep, i asked if i could get paid in cheeseburgers, and they said buy your own damn burgers. i'm cool with that. i'm not going to teach anyway, just attend. the honor is to serve.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Here Is What The Email States....

I don't think it is a "make money off of WCI issue, rather than they cannot make money (on their own) from the general public if they volunteer to be a WCI instuctor. Some already have their instuctors certification which would be null and void for use in instructing the general public as long as they were instructing for WCI... based on the WCI "restictions". Perhaps if WCI included already certified instuctors could teach WCI students for free and still be able to teach the general public for a fee, then maybe those instuctors would be 1st. in line to volunteer...

Just Sayin....

Just my thought ... as always.... I could be wrong.

Outdoorsman1

Edited to add... Oppps... I forget that we are still dealing with the DOJ whos has not yet even cerifed ANY instuctors

I had to go look it up to be sure so I copied and pasted it:

Snip: "If you intend to submit a resume to become a certified WCI instructor we are going to require that you may NEVER use your WCI certification to teach any class besides ours and you may never charge a fee for certifying anyone using your WCI certification. You may not solicit anyone who participates in the WCI training course for any other paid services that you may offer related to firearms training or selling related products."

And this: "If in the future a WCI instructor would like to offer training services for a fee, they will need to surrender their WCI certification and obtain certification from a different state or national organization that certifies firearms instructors."

My thoughts are that Nik meant a person could not use the WCI certificate and would have to surrender it and get another in order to teach concealed carry for a fee. I'm thinking that Nik was assuming those who applied to become WCI instructors have no concealed carry instructor certification when they applied and their only certification would be a WCI certification.

It shouldn't be too difficult to clear this up. I will email Nik and ask.

M

McX

So! RAK you gonna teach? we'll use my shop, pack the place, it will look like occupy the auto-shop! i'll bet we'll have to hold a number of classes to get everyone through. this is going to be BIG! we must speak of this at our next socialization!

addedon edit; i think we'll make a bundle off the movie rights anyway. i can see the local paper now:
police responded to a large crowd surounding, and in an auto repair shop today, upon their arrival they found hundreds of law abiding citizens waiting to take the Wisconsin Carry permit class.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Will If I Am Selected.....

So! RAK you gonna teach? we'll use my shop, pack the place, it will look like occupy the auto-shop! i'll bet we'll have to hold a number of classes to get everyone through. this is going to be BIG! we must speak of this at our next socialization!

addedon edit; i think we'll make a bundle off the movie rights anyway. i can see the local paper now:
police responded to a large crowd surounding, and in an auto repair shop today, upon their arrival they found hundreds of law abiding citizens waiting to take the Wisconsin Carry permit class.

I would definitely volunteer my time and service to do this. There are several places we can have small classes up to 50 people. Think of Lizzy's. I'm sure Adam and Lizzy will be happy to accommodate a group of us after normal hours if we ask and plan ahead. No charge for the course instruction but we would most likely have to donate something for use of their facility.

The lobby in your facility can seat a bunch of people nicely. Heck, people could bring their cars in for oil changes while the class is going on. :) I am looking forward to getting this training going and getting as many people as possible "Wisconsin" certified!

M

McX

I would definitely volunteer my time and service to do this. There are several places we can have small classes up to 50 people. Think of Lizzy's. I'm sure Adam and Lizzy will be happy to accommodate a group of us after normal hours if we ask and plan ahead. No charge for the course instruction but we would most likely have to donate something for use of their facility.

The lobby in your facility can seat a bunch of people nicely. Heck, people could bring their cars in for oil changes while the class is going on. :) I am looking forward to getting this training going and getting as many people as possible "Wisconsin" certified!

no work for me while classes are going on. we'll need the bay areas for space for people anyway. no donation needed to me. the honor is to serve. just the movie rights (har-har). and no shooting at stuff in the building.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
About the "Restrictions"....This Should Settle The Questions Asked By Some...

I emailed Nik and asked about the restrictions. I am not posting his entire response but will post the portions pertaining to the questions about the use of a certificate from an organization other than WCI.

This from Nik: "If someone is an NRA instructor and they want to offer "paid" training services one day, and then come teach our class for free the next day, that is OK but they may not solicit any of the class attendee's for business. They can't stand in front of a group of people that WCI's free training brought in front of them and try to make money or gain customers from it."

And this: "We don't want guys who are willing to come teach a class for free only because at the class they can hand out their NRA instructor card and soft-sell additional services/have a bunch of follow up business derived from our class. They can go make money with their NRA certification the next day, but they have to keep complete separation from the volunteer work they do for us. They need to market themselves and their services completely independently from our class."

One more: "People who have no other certification other than the WCI certification would have to go get certification if they want to teach a class that meets the state training requirement."

I hope this settles the questions about the "restrictions".

Last edited:

jpm84092

Yellow Cat's Thoughts

I believe Nik and WI Carry Inc are now experiencing the wrong execution of the right idea.

Yes, WI Carry members should receive WI CWP instruction for free. But, as an NRA Instructor and a Utah CFP Instructor, I am not going to give up my right to instruct WI residents to obtain a UT CFP, an NRA Certificate, or my widely coveted "Golfing with Glocks" point shooting course just to keep a WI CARRY instructor rating. Indeed, as an earlier post by MKEGAL suggested, I will not even apply. I will continue to offer the UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course to WI residents at really low fees, but damn it, contributing $5 (for Purple Heart or DAV Military - and up to $40 for those who do not support any 2A Groups) to my gas and motel bill to go to WI is not too much to ask.

If I conducted a WI Concealed Carry Course for free, and happened to mention that I can also conduct a UT CFP course at the end of the WI Course, for deeply discounted prices - that action would get my WI Certification revoked. OK - that is the decision of WCI and thus, I will not apply for WCI certification.

Yellow Cat (a very experienced firearms instructor) - OUT

MKEgal

rcawdor57 said:
What "Restrictions" would stop someone from volunteering?
Nik said:
"If in the future a WCI instructor would like to offer training services for a fee, they will need to surrender their WCI certification and obtain certification from a different state or national organization that certifies firearms instructors."
Exactly. If it's a choice between having certification from a long-established established national org [NRA] or state department [Utah BCI] (so I can not only teach people to be safe, but also pay bills), or WCI, I'll keep the higher certification.
I already volunteer my time w/ an NRA-affiliated nonprofit & offer discounts to WCI members.
But if this gets straightened out, I'll also do WCI training (if approved, of course).

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Please Read My Previous Post With The Responses I Posted From Nik...

Exactly. If it's a choice between having certification from a long-established established national org [NRA] or state department [Utah BCI] (so I can not only teach people to be safe, but also pay bills), or WCI, I'll keep the higher certification.
I already volunteer my time w/ an NRA-affiliated nonprofit & offer discounts to WCI members.
But if this gets straightened out, I'll also do WCI training (if approved, of course).

I answered this question in my previous post. You can have dozens of training certificates if you wish. WCI doesn't want you to surrender your training certificate(s) in order to provide free WCI training with a WCI instructor certificate. Any instructor can give paid training using their "other" certificates and then give WCI free training with their WCI instructor certificate. The idea is that if people are gathered for the WCI free training that that is what they will get. WCI doesn't want those attending the free training to be inundated by an instructor for paid services or products during that training event.

This is an opportunity for WCI to introduce literally thousands of people to concealed carry at minimal cost to those attending. We should be concentrating on increasing the numbers of those people that wish to carry a firearm or other legal concealed weapon with the lowest cost involvement to them as possible. Training is a BIG cost to some of us in this state, especially with the lousy economy and where or whom you get the training from. If a person only has to pay for their mileage and time to get training for a concealed weapon how many more people will do just that? This will also raise the membership of Wisconsin Carry to unforeseen numbers.