Thread: question about new information needed on training certificate

question about new information needed on training certificate

I was able to find the instructor that issued my training certificate several years ago and he is willing to amend it with the new information that the DOJ requires but i have a question about one of the requirements.

67948352-Attorney-General-rules-on-concealed-carry-licenses[1].pdf

My question is about 17.05 (2) (h) on lines 216-220.

In short is says...a signed statement by the instructor that the course satisfied the definition of 17.03 (8) and the applicant successfully completed the course. And affirmation that the applicant merely attended the course is not sufficient.

Does that simply mean the instructor has to state ""Joe Blow" successfully completed the course"?? as opposed to simply saying ""Joe Blow attended the course" If that's the case why does that seem asinine to me?

Now normally I"d wait for the DOJ to issue the example certificate it says it will make availiable...but I really don't see that happening anytime soon...certainly not before NOV. 1st

One last question...DOJ also wants the name of the course to be on the certificate...would they have a problem with it being named..."Firearms Safety Course That Satisfies JB's Asninine Training Requirements"

I plan to title mine Basic Firearms safety course.

haha thanks, that part was more of a joke. Relevant in that my current certificate doesn't have a course name but yeah...
    What about what is written in 17.05 (2) (h)? Is compliance as simple as I assume? Does the cert just have to be worded to read... The trainee has "SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED" the Basic Firearms safety course?

So in it's simplest form my cert would have to be ammended to look like the attached cert that I doodled on?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	certificate-blacked ammended.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	7163

4 hrs.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

It was a two day course at 3 hours each day so 6 total...good enough right?
    Last edited by markush; 10-17-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Sorry, didn't see that.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Asinine is right.
    I don't know anyone who issues a certificate unless the person successfully completed the course.
    I've heard from some instructors that they'll be emailing students a letter they can print out & include.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Asinine is right.
    I don't know anyone who issues a certificate unless the person successfully completed the course.
    I've heard from some instructors that they'll be emailing students a letter they can print out & include.
    Now that they governor has decided to approve the emergency rules, I am expecting a model training certificate on the DOJ website, soon.

It should have on it:

(a) The applicant’s name.

(b) The name of the firearms safety or training course.

(c) The length in hours of the firearms safety or training course.

(d) The date on which the applicant completed the firearms safety or training course.

(e) The city and state in which the applicant completed the firearms safety or training course.

(f) The name, address, and telephone number of the person or entity responsible for the firearms safety or training course. This may be an individual instructor, a national or state organization, a law enforcement agency, an educational institution, a firearms training school, or another public or private institution or organization.

(g) The name of the instructor who taught the firearms safety or training course to the applicant and the name of the agency or organization that certified the instructor.

(h) A signed statement by the instructor who taught the firearms safety or training course to the applicant affirming that the course satisfied the definition of a firearms safety or training course in s. Jus 17.03(8) and that the applicant successfully completed the course. An affirmation that the applicant merely attended the course is not sufficient to satisfy this requirement.

----------------------------------------------------

The above formatted certificate or affidavit is not required for those who have a:

1) Hunter Safety Certificate
    2) U.S. Dept. of Defense DD214 document for honorable discharge
    3) Current or expired License to carry a Firearm that is not revoked, and was issued by a country, state or municipality.
    4) Certificate of U.S. military basic training completion

I would think that most of the early applicants will have one of the four above documents.
    Last edited by E6chevron; 10-18-2011 at 03:32 AM.