• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spoke with a Convicted Fellon Saturday about OC

XD40coyote

There's alot of nutty people shopping at the local Goodwill store over in PA, but I've never encountered one that was WAY out there. I have often wondered what would go on in there if I OC'd there. I did it once but it was halloween and it's more likley my coyote skin was noticed. Of course what I have seen there has nothing on the daytime only weirdness my dad has seen on public transportation in the Baltimore area.

SFCRetired

Thanks, guys, for fixing my post. Bear in mind that I'm an old man and not up to speed on all the chemicals folks use for "recreation" nowadays. Also bear in mind that my fingers do not always type what my brain tells them to.:D No, I've never done LDS, although there were a couple of LDS young ladies that I would have loved to have known better in my younger years.;)

What I have noticed is that the two churches I frequent, one Southern Baptist and one United Methodist, seem to attract both the mentally unbalanced and street thugs. Neither church wants firearms carried inside and I respect that but their security leaves a lot to be desired.

Except for services at the Methodist church, I generally stay outside and stay armed around both places. The presence of my firearm seems to have a calming effect on the street thugs and even the mentally unbalanced seem to gain a sliver of lucidity.

Fisherman

Thanks, guys, for fixing my post. Bear in mind that I'm an old man and not up to speed on all the chemicals folks use for "recreation" nowadays. Also bear in mind that my fingers do not always type what my brain tells them to.:D No, I've never done LDS, although there were a couple of LDS young ladies that I would have loved to have known better in my younger years.;)

What I have noticed is that the two churches I frequent, one Southern Baptist and one United Methodist, seem to attract both the mentally unbalanced and street thugs. Neither church wants firearms carried inside and I respect that but their security leaves a lot to be desired.

Except for services at the Methodist church, I generally stay outside and stay armed around both places. The presence of my firearm seems to have a calming effect on the street thugs and even the mentally unbalanced seem to gain a sliver of lucidity.

Just pickin' at ya a little bit brother.

XDFDE45

This follows along with an interviews done with several convicted felons who were serving prison terms. Their worst fear was not the cops or prison but being shot by a armed citizen they were trying to attack.

Centerfire Citizen

I have thought about this subject many times, as I'm sure anyone who owns or carries guns has, and I think OC is good for what is described in this story, the immature petty criminals that don't want to be caught in a situation with someone that actually can shoot a gun. But as far as the real criminals I think CC would be a better option. In an extreme scenario such as a bank robbery, and an armed person came in locked and loaded, you might be the first to get shot or forced to surrender your sidearm if you are OC'ing. But in that situation, as stated earlier, you can't be picked apart from anyone else and might be able to react before the robber has the chance to pick you out. I think OC'ing is great and am glad that people are allowed to do it, but since not many people do it, I think it draws a lot of attention versus CC. Some times negative and sometimes positive.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have thought about this subject many times, as I'm sure anyone who owns or carries guns has, and I think OC is good for what is described in this story, the immature petty criminals that don't want to be caught in a situation with someone that actually can shoot a gun. But as far as the real criminals I think CC would be a better option. In an extreme scenario such as a bank robbery, and an armed person came in locked and loaded, you might be the first to get shot or forced to surrender your sidearm if you are OC'ing. But in that situation, as stated earlier, you can't be picked apart from anyone else and might be able to react before the robber has the chance to pick you out. I think OC'ing is great and am glad that people are allowed to do it, but since not many people do it, I think it draws a lot of attention versus CC. Some times negative and sometimes positive.

We are still waiting for confirmed evidence that something like your suggested scenario has happened. If you have that confirmation, there is a cash reward waiting for you.

stay safe.

Dahwg

Maybe in Oregon, but out here in AZ, the only attention it draws goes something like this, "What are you packin'? Oh I normally carry...." Some guy did catch my attention a couple of days ago at the local Sportsman's Warehouse, he was packing a very big cowboy style six shooter in a holster to match- beautiful combo. But there were no old people dying from heart attacks, and I don't think anyone called 911. Just a bunch of admiring looks from the three other OCers in the store that day.

Have I mentioned how much I love AZ lately?

Centerfire Citizen

That's very cool Dahwg, I am still young but I have never seen someone that is OC'ing, locally or anywhere. So for my area it seems uncommon. Its not that people don't have or use guns because a lot of people around here hunt and own many guns. Just none that OC, so I guess I'm gonna be "that guy"

carry for myself

That's very cool Dahwg, I am still young but I have never seen someone that is OC'ing, locally or anywhere. So for my area it seems uncommon. Its not that people don't have or use guns because a lot of people around here hunt and own many guns. Just none that OC, so I guess I'm gonna be "that guy"

dont feel bad. i've been OCing for a VERY long time. and while im young myself at 26......i've only ever physically seen one other person OCing in southern maine. it was about 2am i was driving home, he was out for a walk. didnt even get to say hi :(

Centerfire Citizen

I just don't want to bring negative attention toward myself, such as ignorant people approaching me and letting me know their opinion which I clearly didn't ask for. And in an extreme situation if someone were to spit on you, now I'm sure this has never happened and isn't realistic but those people are out there. I wouldn't know how to handle myself in a situation like that, obviously that is no place for deadly force, but I think a good pistol whippin would be in order ;) I guess its something that comes along with being different from the norm and excersizing my 2nd amendment and the freedom of this country.

Last edited:

We-the-People

WOW!

Some sociology student out there should interview a couple dozen (or more) felons and write a paper about the effect of OC on criminal motivation. I noticed that the felon in the story didn't think, "Gee, I guess I better plan on shooting any armed guys first , then go on with my robbery". Nope. These predators are cowards, not brave men. I have had contact with many sociopaths in my life, and I can tell you they don't want "fair fights" or any shootouts at all. They want to prey on weak, scared or aged people so the odds are all in their favor. We are part of the animal kingdom, after all!

Well I'm not a sociology student (business major) but I'm in an elective criminology class right now. My term paper is on the "Rational Choice Theory"...i.e. do criminals make rational choices leading up to the commission of their crimes.

I am going to try to work the OP and the Stossel vid, particularly the statements of the convicted criminals, as well as the post about the neighborhood thugs not screwing with the car of the armed owner, into my term paper. When criminals see an armed citizen and avoid him, that is most certainly a "rational decision".

SMILE

DocWalker

There is not one documented case to support your claims that someone OCing would be shot first. I also disagree and would like you to explain a situation that every teller and LAW ABIDING CITIZEN is armed; who would be shot first? Even if two or three people in the bank are LEGALLY packing who would the BG shoot first? This like your statement that an OCer would be shot first is all hypothetical.

Centerfire Citizen

There is not one documented case to support your claims that someone OCing would be shot first. I also disagree and would like you to explain a situation that every teller and LAW ABIDING CITIZEN is armed; who would be shot first? Even if two or three people in the bank are LEGALLY packing who would the BG shoot first? This like your statement that an OCer would be shot first is all hypothetical.

Yes that is all hypothetical, but its the "Take the biggest/toughest one first" mentality, like getting youself into some trouble and havin to swing your way out of it, you always go after the biggest dude because after that its smooth sailing. And I don't doubt the fact that there is no documented case of that scenario, but does it make sense that it could happen? To me it does. And about the "If every bank teller and LAC was armed" scenario, well that's the world I one day want to live in. Where people that followed the rules were the ones that carried guns and not the thugs and gangsters. Sounds good to me DocWalker.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I just don't want to bring negative attention toward myself, such as ignorant people approaching me and letting me know their opinion which I clearly didn't ask for.
There are posts all over this forum about how other folks have handled situations similar to what you say you are afraid of happening. Why not educate yourself ahead of time and be at least mentally prepared?

And in an extreme situation if someone were to spit on you, now I'm sure this has never happened and isn't realistic but those people are out there. I wouldn't know how to handle myself in a situation like that, obviously that is no place for deadly force, but I think a good pistol whippin would be in order ;)
No! It's a good time to call 911 and report an assault with a deadly weapon (in most states assault with bodily fluids has been upped to ADW status ever since the AIDS scare began in the 1990s).

If you cannot control your temper to the extent that you cannot respond to being spit upon without resorting to using an even higher order of violence then you probably should not be carrying anything more dangerous than a cellphone.

And adding a smiley at the end of the sentence does not negate the issue. It just means even you realize (at some level) that what you wrote is wrong.

I guess its something that comes along with being different from the norm
That's part of what OCing is about - getting folks to understand that it is normal and non-threatening when "we" do it, just like when the cops do it. Less threatening, as a matter of fact 'cause we are not going to go rushing around willy-nilly shooting at folks or pet dogs who pose no real threat, and because at least in the aggregate we are better trained and more proficient that the cops. YMMV.

and excersizing my 2nd amendment and the freedom of this country.
What's that old saw? Something about a right not exercised is no right at all?

Now I know that the PNW seems to either breed or attract its fair share of nutcases but from what I read in the papers and see on the idiotbox they tend to stay in the woods. Is your area just teeming with folkks with so little self control that they go up and spit on folks doing things they do not approve of? And even if they do that a lot where you live, do you think they would think it a good idea to do it to someone with a handgun obviously strapped to their side? (No, antis do not understand that we, unlike them, do not all fantasize about blowing away everybody we disagree with. They think that we do it just like them buut also have the means at hand to do it.)

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes that is all hypothetical, but its the "Take the biggest/toughest one first" mentality, like getting youself into some trouble and havin to swing your way out of it, you always go after the biggest dude because after that its smooth sailing.
So you've never been in a confrontation with multiple assailants, have you? It's only in the movies where it works if the first thing you do on getting into the jail/prison you take out the biggest, baddest guy you won't be harassed by anyone else.

And I don't doubt the fact that there is no documented case of that scenario, but does it make sense that it could happen? To me it does.
Let me see if I've got this straight - you believe that this scenario has never happened before, but you say it makes sense that it could happen - and especially happen to you? There is a professional term for that kind of mental gymnastics and if they slap it on you it means you are prohibited from ever owning firearms. Actually, after checking the DSM-V I see that there are several options of bugf*&% crazy to choose from.

And about the "If every bank teller and LAC was armed" scenario, well that's the world I one day want to live in. Where people that followed the rules were the ones that carried guns and not the thugs and gangsters. Sounds good to me DocWalker.
Me, too.

stay safe.

DocWalker

Yes that is all hypothetical, but its the "Take the biggest/toughest one first" mentality, like getting youself into some trouble and havin to swing your way out of it, you always go after the biggest dude because after that its smooth sailing. And I don't doubt the fact that there is no documented case of that scenario, but does it make sense that it could happen? To me it does. And about the "If every bank teller and LAC was armed" scenario, well that's the world I one day want to live in. Where people that followed the rules were the ones that carried guns and not the thugs and gangsters. Sounds good to me DocWalker.

I think we are close to the same page, I just don't buy into the whole idea of "IF", "MAYBE", or "It could happen" way of thinking. Anything could happen but the whole biggest/toughest first argument doesn't fly. I believe that people (even criminals) will have the instinct for self preservation first. That means you don't go picking a fight with the defensive line of any NFL team and you wouldn't try and rob a doughnut shop while the police are having a meeting there. Until there is documented evidence that there is a trend for criminals to actively shoot an armed citizen before shooting everyone else then this theory has as much credibility as the search for the Lockness Monster. Working with criminals they will tell you they take the easy way out, that is why they are criminals and robbing a bank or mugging an armed person isn't the easy way out.

Centerfire Citizen

I'm not trying to disagree with you because I do believe its far fetched, but I like to try to think of every situation that could even be slightly possible. Just the old expect the unexpected way of thinking. I guess that's why I carry a rifle, shotgun, and handgun in my pickup at all times. I live on a farm by the way, I don't live in the middle of any city.