Thread: conceal coarse

conceal coarse

hi everyone, i was thinking about getting my cc permit, but can someone tell me about the class? is it hard, what can i expect,etc? please share with me, im nervous about it. also,is the test tricky?

it all depends on where you take it. bare minimum is 8hrs of class time learning the laws and about shoot/dont shoot scenarios. then a shooting practical the consists of 30rnds. 10 a 3yrds, 5yrds, 7yrds. passing is hitting the target 21 out of 30

In all honestly I've learned more about NC gun laws reading this forum then I did in class.

like i said, the bare minimum, I've heard of courses taking 2-3 days where its all interactive and you shoot hundreds of rnds in many type of positions. Its all about what you want and need in your class.

I was a SAMI instructor in the military, I generally know what I'm doing and have plenty of experience with firearms, the class for me was merely a means to an end. I paid $50 and had my certificate in 8 hrs. If you want more in depth training, thats fine, its whatever you want
    Last edited by aosailor; 10-17-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Don't sweat it.

The way most places in NC teach the class, its almost impossible to fail. You'd have to sleep through the instruction, and then do the hands-on shooting while blindfolded. The shooting requirement for the state is to shoot 50 rounds at a silhouette target at 7 yards, maintaining 80% accuracy (40 rounds) inside the outermost ring. This is not timed, and can be completed using any handgun in the caliber of your choice. My wife, who is far from being a great shooter, was able to do this on her first attempt, and she had probably only shot twice before in her life (only once any recent time before qualifying).

Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    it all depends on where you take it. bare minimum is 8hrs of class time learning the laws and about shoot/dont shoot scenarios. then a shooting practical the consists of 30rnds. 10 a 3yrds, 5yrds, 7yrds. passing is hitting the target 21 out of 30

In all honestly I've learned more about NC gun laws reading this forum then I did in class.

like i said, the bare minimum, I've heard of courses taking 2-3 days where its all interactive and you shoot hundreds of rnds in many type of positions. Its all about what you want and need in your class.

I was a SAMI instructor in the military, I generally know what I'm doing and have plenty of experience with firearms, the class for me was merely a means to an end. I paid $50 and had my certificate in 8 hrs. If you want more in depth training, thats fine, its whatever you want
    Never heard of this anywhere in the W-S/Gso/HP area :-/
    Last edited by Ruger; 10-17-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Carry on!

If there is ever a class to NOT be nervous about - this is it. It's a cake walk. The biggest obstacle you may be confronted with is boredom - but hopefully the instructors get around that somehow - mine did - they tried to make it fun.

This makes me wonder what they are teaching in the CHP classes now. Some counties can get you your permit pretty quick, but in places like Durham, it takes the full 90 days. So if one were to take the course today in Durham for a permit from Durham, they would not get their permit until well after December 1st, which is when HB650 kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    The shooting requirement for the state is to shoot 50 rounds at a silhouette target at 7 yards, maintaining 80% accuracy (40 rounds) inside the outermost ring. [/COLOR]
    See what I mean...... depends on where you go/who the instructor is.

where did you get your info to say the "State Requirement" is 50rnds? I've been looking all over for any requirement info.... Best friend is an instructor, he was trained to require 30rnds and the class I took required 30rnds....

i just took the class a few months ago and it was 50rnds

The state requires either 30 or 40 rounds fired. It is timed. You have anywhere from 5 shots in 5 seconds at 3 yards to 5 shots in 9 seconds at 7 yards. However, that is the minimum, some instructors require more.

Read your red book.

The class is not hard and the test is not hard, but you still need to pay attention. You don't want to go to jail for someone else.

Nate
    Last edited by 25-06shooter; 10-19-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    NC CCH Instructor
    VA CCH Instructor
    NRA Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
    RSO

I rubbed up against my conceal and it took the skin right offa me....
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    I rubbed up against my conceal and it took the skin right offa me....
    Yep ixtow, I'd say you're a #50 grit.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Yep ixtow, I'd say you're a #50 grit.
    :-p
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.