• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did Ed Call Hanover's tip line

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not serious, it's a private joke with Ed.

I was OCing today so this counts and it is a great example of what hasn't changed in Hanover.

I had to take my small car to be inspected today. It's a spare vehicle and I'd let the inspection expire in September without thinking about it.

I called the inspection station and made an appointment then headed over there. I had my window rolled down and was smoking a cigarette.
One of Hanover's finest saw me at a light but apparently didn't get a good look at the sticker. He whipped out behind me and followed me for three miles and pulled me ten yards from the inspection station.

I wasn't wearing my seat belt as usual and had a Taurus 44 mag on the front seat.

He was after the seat belt violation I'm sure because the he never mentioned the sticker.

His first words were "Did I just see you throw a Cigarette out of the window?"
Seat belts are secondary violation. They can't pull you for it.

I said "No, not unless you need glasses real bad".

Then I held up my half smoked cigarette.
He started to say something and I interrupted "And why else did you pull me over?"

He just said "Have a nice day" and got back in his car. Didn't mention my gun or the sticker or even ask for my license and I don't have a CHP for the Dispatcher to broadcast.
This jerk was fishing.

I generally don't throw cigarettes out unless I'm in a city or city like county. My pockets are generally full of them at the end of the day.
As Ed knows, I do sometimes go on crime sprees when aggravated... and Hanover got the butts today!

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Definitely fishing. He obviously wasn't very attentive or he would have gotten you for the seat belt and sticker. Glad you got away unfined.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You carry a firearm why? Because bad things can happen when you least expect it.

And you don't wear a seat belt why?

I carry a gun because I want to.
I don't wear a seat belt because I don't like being told to wear one.

That's an old argument made by the Safety first crowd but just so you know....

I don't always wear eye protection when operating power equipment, often pull the ground prong off of extension cords so they'll fit ungrounded plugs, make my own black powder and sometimes throw a drop of water in the lead pot to see how high the tinsel fairy can sputter.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

You carry a firearm why? Because bad things can happen when you least expect it.

And you don't wear a seat belt why?

THANK YOU. Human body = projectile for others. I wear my seat belt because I do not know when I am going to get hit, I carry a gun because I do not know when some thug wants to try and rob me or harm a family member.

I didn't know you cant be pulled over alone for no seat belt. I see so many around here with non on. Just sitting at a light on a turn you can spot a few.

BTW how is that Taurus 44 mag working for you? I heard people didn't like Taurus that much, poor QC.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
THANK YOU. Human body = projectile for others. I wear my seat belt because I do not know when I am going to get hit, I carry a gun because I do not know when some thug wants to try and rob me or harm a family member.

I didn't know you cant be pulled over alone for no seat belt. I see so many around here with non on. Just sitting at a light on a turn you can spot a few.

BTW how is that Taurus 44 mag working for you? I heard people didn't like Taurus that much, poor QC.

Been driving for well over 45 years with one moving violation back in the 60's or 70's I forget exactly.
Been hit twice and not hurt without seat belts. The last one was a poacher being chased by the Game Warden, broadsided me and totaled both cars, then jumped out and ran.

If I had a seatbelt on, I may not have gotten out quickly enough to catch him and break my Sportsman (Only old people will remember them) flashlight on his head.

The Game Warden figured he got the injuries because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt:lol: (Not really, but I thought it was funny)

Taurus has a problem with Quality Control.
You get one good one, one great one and ten bad ones.

This is a good one. It's the Ultralite Titanium Model (444 I think). Great to carry and not bad to shoot but I have to crimp the bullets extra tight or the bullet will jump crimp under recoil and tie up the gun.
I won't be giving up any of my Smith's or Ruger's for another, but it serves it's purpose.

Last edited:

curtiswr

I don't always wear eye protection when operating power equipment, often pull the ground prong off of extension cords so they'll fit ungrounded plugs, make my own black powder and sometimes throw a drop of water in the lead pot to see how high the tinsel fairy can sputter.

one of the best posts I've read in a long time

The freedom to make personal decisions is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

sbuff

That's right up there with the helmet laws, and riders putting the helmet on their knees! Love it!

I will be wearing my seatbelt, but not a helmet. Put a car into a tree at 50mph, burned my arm on the transmission that was jammed up into the passenger compartment, shortened the car by 3 ft, bit thru my lip and got 20 stitches, but other than that, all was well. Until I had to call my parents at 2am... Did you know that driving a car into a tree will damage ones' hind-end more than the front end?

I don't wear a helmet while riding a bike, I do wear sandals while mowing the lawn, and I still have all my fingers, toes, and maybe 3 or 4 brain cells. But that's debateable.

user

Accomplished Advocate
And, btw, I note your having taken the care to make an appointment prior to driving around on the expired inspection sticker. And if I recall correctly, driving with an expired inspection sticker is a ...* a traffic violation, unless you're on your way to an inspection station (not necessarily the closest one, and not necessarily by the most direct route) because you've got an appointment to get the car inspected. So you were street-legal as to the inspection sticker.

Funny thing is, though, where I live, the state troopers routinely give out summonses for that particular violation in just that way (ten yards from the inspection station) despite the drivers' protests that they've got an appointment, and without bothering to walk over and check, or even calling on the phone to check. Furthermore, I've recently learned that the trooper who's in charge of such things here has been going around telling the stations that "it's illegal to make appointments for state safety inspections", and they believe it.

I'm with that cop, though - cigarette butts on the highway is a much greater problem than expired inspection stickers.

* (Correction re: subsequent post - I was thinking of the city tax stickers that used to be required - because those were a revenue issue, the offense was classified as a misdemeanor.)

Last edited:

Blk97F150

... if I recall correctly, driving with an expired inspection sticker is a classs-three misdemeanor, not a traffic violation, unless you're on your way to an inspection station (not necessarily the closest one, and not necessarily by the most direct route) because you've got an appointment to get the car inspected.

I'm not sure about an expired inspection, but I can tell you 'for sure' that "Operating an Uninspected Vehicle" (no inspection sticker at all) is just a traffic infraction under 46.2-1157. :uhoh:

Edit: And to keep it on topic... I was carrying, although concealed, when I made that discovery. No issues, other then what seemed to be a longer then usual wait (I assume he was running a full check on me).

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You mean your SECOND half smoke cigarette? :lol:

Hmmmm....Let's see, that was about 9:00 am. I started work at 3:00 am until 5:30 am...that equals about 10 cigarettes. I hunted until 7:30 (Just chewing tobacco) then 7:30 to 9:00...another 8 or so....about my 18th for the day.

Now for that little 3 mile trip....just one and I still had it when I parked at the inspection station. To that point, I had not thrown any out. They all got field stripped and the paper and filter go in my pocket.

After I got out that day though, I flicked the one I had at the Deputy's disappearing car and that's when the retaliation for the day started....so I guess about 60 more went out of the window.

Good thing for him he didn't accuse me of urinating in public!:uhoh: Coulda been a flood in Hanover.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Don't know about Hanover, but the Chesterfield cop that pulled me on the way to the VCDL picnic (thanks for your support Doug and Peter) for expired registration told me that taking care of it is all the judge was concerned with. Turned out he was correct - showed up with proof I got it renewed and was told I could go. So did about 25 other folks that morning. But the 40 or so folks that were pulled for expired inspections had to pay costs and got points on their DMV record. At least they called folks up one by one instead of getting the whole herd up at one time.

Yes, I had nothing better to do that sit and watch justice in action all morning. I'm retired, remember?

stay safe.

All American Nightmare

I'm not sure about an expired inspection, but I can tell you 'for sure' that "Operating an Uninspected Vehicle" (no inspection sticker at all) is just a traffic infraction under 46.2-1157. :uhoh:

Edit: And to keep it on topic... I was carrying, although concealed, when I made that discovery. No issues, other then what seemed to be a longer then usual wait (I assume he was running a full check on me).
It would be the same charge no points on your record if found guilty. Most of the time you are allowed to comply with that ticket.

va_tazdad

Rabblr Rouser

LOL I always wear my seat belt (been through one windshield already), NEVER throw butts out the window (Got accused of starting a fire on the side of 95 that I discovered and called in and was in the process of extinguishing when the cop got there), and yes, I do wear eye protection after having to go to the ER one time I didn’t.

Personal choice is good and I choose to be safe. I have done more than my share of dumb things in the last 56 years and I figure I need all the help I can get and should take a little more caution now that my kids say I am OTD (Older Than Dirt).