• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shreveport Open Carry/Concealed Carry Questions

tomcdouglass

Good evening, all.

I have a few questions about a few things. First, as a new resident of Shreveport, I am curious about any open carry public forums that are held regularly or every so often in the area. As someone who is considering open-carrying, I would enjoy hearing experiences by others in the area who have done the same. If there are any meetings or events that are held in the near future, I would love to know about them.

Also, I have recently completed an application for a LA Concealed Handgun Permit Application, but due to some conflicting questions, and a somewhat checkered past, I was wondering if anyone, LE or not, may be able to shed some light on an issue. If one has voluntarily admitted themselves to outpatient care for alcohol abuse, would that immediately disqualify them from obtaining a CC permit? I would hate to lose the money included for the application fee when the answer can be found here.

Thank you for the consideration.

KBCraig

Welcome, Tom!

You might get a better response in the Louisiana section of the forum. There are several people in NWLa. I'm about 80 miles away and visit about once a month or so, but it's always with family in situations that don't lend themselves to OC.

Herohog and others are in the S'port area.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome, Tom!

You might get a better response in the Louisiana section of the forum. There are several people in NWLa. I'm about 80 miles away and visit about once a month or so, but it's always with family in situations that don't lend themselves to OC.

Moved it.

sraacke

Welcome, Tom!

I would further suggest asking this in the forum at BayouShooter http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/index.php , the states largest firearms discussion board with hundreds of members many who are CHP instructors and Louisiana Shooting Association board members. You will have a greater chance of getting a qualified answer to this question there. Expect the usual, "What did your CHP instructor tell you?" and "Have you asked Sgt Reavis at LSP HQ yet?" lines but I'm sure someone there will know the answer.
EDIT---
I cross posted your question at Bayou Shooter. The thread is at- http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...mitment-for-alcohol-abuse&p=849909#post849909 .
Hope this helps.

Steve Raacke,
Secretary, Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)

Last edited:

sraacke

Already got an answer from Bayou Shooter member Tom Terrific who has "Been there/done that". He says...
The voluntary commitment has to be over five years ago.

Contact me b/c for details.
He'll discuss the details via email if you contact him on the BS board.

HeroHog

Welcome to the group Tom! I live here in Shreveport and OC Daily. I am working on getting a meeting together here shortly and will post it here and on the other LA related forums I frequent.

Please feel free to contact me any time and I will help you with whatever I can. While I am far from knowing everything, I do know a lot of knowledgeable people who can eventually find the answer to most any question you may have.