• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting NC from VA

sbuff

Granted, I'm sure I could find the info I'm requesting if I looked, but I like to press the "easy button":D

Heading to the Pittsboro area this weekend. In past visits, it seems to be a VERY left side of the political spectrum area. Is OC allowed? I have my VA CC permit, so can take my "noisy cricket" if need be, but would prefer something more substantial. My destination is a sister-in-law, and her hubby is retired Army SF and currently has his own gunsmithing business, so not too worried about the final destination, just what is around.

Gonna bring my Savage 25-20 to my brother-in-law, as he was very excited hearing about it over the phone - made in 1929, sent to the factory to be fit for a scope in 1930 by my grandfather.

dmatting

Heading to the Pittsboro area this weekend. In past visits, it seems to be a VERY left side of the political spectrum area. Is OC allowed? I have my VA CC permit, so can take my "noisy cricket" if need be, but would prefer something more substantial. My destination is a sister-in-law, and her hubby is retired Army SF and currently has his own gunsmithing business, so not too worried about the final destination, just what is around.

I don't have any first hand Pittsboro experience, but, as you know, there is no law against open carry in NC so you should be fine. NC is a little more tyrannical than Virginia is, so you will need to disarm completely if you go into a restaurant that serves alcohol or go to any place that charges admission. There are other places, aside from ones that are posted, but I would say those would be the most frequented types of locations that are kill zones.

I was just doing the opposite - we visited VA last weekend. It was nice being able to enter any restaurant without altering my mode of carry whatsoever.

Last edited:

papa bear

I don't have any first hand Pittsboro experience, but, as you know, there is no law against open carry in NC so you should be fine. NC is a little more tyrannical than Virginia is, so you will need to disarm completely if you go into a restaurant that serves alcohol or go to any place that charges admission. There are other places, aside from ones that are posted, but I would say those would be the most frequented types of locations that are kill zones.

I was just doing the opposite - we visited VA last weekend. It was nice being able to enter any restaurant without altering my mode of carry whatsoever.

Agreed with DMATTING, it is very nice to be able to go to a restaurant and only have to worry about weather or not they allow firearms and not weather i am breaking the law

open carry is totally legal in NC, for hand guns and long guns just keep them in sight, you shouldn't have a problem. if you put the long gun out of sight, it must be "out of reach" also. this means in the trunk or in a locked container not accessible to anyone in the Vehicle. A CCP does not cover long guns.

if your hand gun is not in sight, then you must notify any LEO, that makes (official ?)contact with you, that you are armed . please don't say "i've got a gun!" just inform them you have a CCP and you are armed. they can demand to see the CCP and it must be with a pictured state issued ID. Do not touch your firearm or try to show it to them.
most NCLEOs are just like they are in VA. they are citizens defense friendly, it depends a lot on where you are and what their uppers opinions are