• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hunter safety cd

Cobbersmom

I'm not sure about a cd. But when I signed up for hunter safety, they directed me to this page for studying. The test is supposedly based on this.
http://homestudy.ihea.com/
There is a new pilot program on hunter safety with testing out of Antigo on Oct. 29. It is a test only and the instructions say to study the 2010 hunting regulations pamphlet.
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/safety/huntedtestout.htm
Go figure, hunter safety certificate is supposed to be good for the cc app. but this type of hunter safety training/test technically doesn't qualify. I don't know whats going to happen and wonder if the certificate will be worded differently.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
This question has been bugging me for a bit and I can't seem to get a straight answer to it.

Hunters safety certificate keeps getting mentioned but I have a hunters safety CARD in my wallet. Is a copy of the card good enough or do I have to try to find or get a replacement "certificate"?

M

McX

Hunter's Safety out on CD. i'll wait till it's on pay per view.

Pyro01

This question has been bugging me for a bit and I can't seem to get a straight answer to it.

Hunters safety certificate keeps getting mentioned but I have a hunters safety CARD in my wallet. Is a copy of the card good enough or do I have to try to find or get a replacement "certificate"?

The card has your hunter's safety number on it just like the certificate they hand you before they mail you the card. As long as you have that number, that should suffice.

protias

Speaking of hunter safety, I cannot find a class in Waukesha County, or any of the surrounding counties. That seems a bit odd...

Captain Nemo

Protias:
The hunter safety courses are taught only two times a year. Spring and fall. They are held in every county statewide about the same time (Sept. to mid Oct.). In the Fall. They are all completed for this year.
Oliverclothesoff and Cobbersmom bring up some very good points. The proposed DNR hunter's safety cd course and the test out course would seem to not qualify. Act 35 has no specialized requirements for a hunter safety certificate. It has given it carte blanche approval. How the DoJ will spin out of it's 4 hour face to face requirement will be interesting.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Protias:
The hunter safety courses are taught only two times a year. Spring and fall. They are held in every county statewide about the same time (Sept. to mid Oct.). In the Fall. They are all completed for this year.
Oliverclothesoff and Cobbersmom bring up some very good points. The proposed DNR hunter's safety cd course and the test out course would seem to not qualify. Act 35 has no specialized requirements for a hunter safety certificate. It has given it carte blanche approval. How the DoJ will spin out of it's 4 hour face to face requirement will be interesting.

Please read the rules. It is an 'or'. So.... if you have a hunters safety class certificate from anywhere, not just WI, OR any of the other things.

Cobbersmom

Protias:

THIS! I understand about the carte blanche approval due to having a hunter safety cert. Yet I have that gut feeling that the cert. might have language on it about it being an online course or test out only and the state will find some way to not accept it. Not sure. I'll find out on the 29th, that is if I pass. The information for study is deceiving. They said to study the 2010 hunting pamphlet as the 50 question test is based on that. Yet when I reviewed the sample test from the DNR website, its based on the online course of study. Time will tell.

Captain Nemo

What is interesting is that as mentioned hunter training certificates from other states can also be used as training qualification. They need only be sustantially similar to the Wisconsin course and it is the DNR that determines if they are sufficient not the DoJ. In fact it can may even be a hunter safety certificate from a Canada province or even Mexico. This can turn out to be fun.

(4) TRAINING REQUIREMENTS. (a) The proof of training
requirement under sub. (7) (e) may be met by any of
the following:
1. A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an
instructor or organization that conducted the course or
program, that indicates the individual completed any of
the following:
a. The hunter education program established under s.
29.591 or a substantially similar program that is established
by another state, country, or province and that is
recognized by the department of natural resources

Firearms Iinstuctor

What is interesting is that as mentioned hunter training certificates from other states can also be used as training qualification. They need only be sustantially similar to the Wisconsin course and it is the DNR that determines if they are sufficient not the DoJ. In fact it can may even be a hunter safety certificate from a Canada province or even Mexico. This can turn out to be fun.

(4) TRAINING REQUIREMENTS. (a) The proof of training
requirement under sub. (7) (e) may be met by any of
the following:
1. A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an
instructor or organization that conducted the course or
program, that indicates the individual completed any of
the following:
a. The hunter education program established under s.
29.591 or a substantially similar program that is established
by another state, country, or province and that is
recognized by the department of natural resources

I do not think that there is a state issued Hunter safety course out there that the state of Wis does not reconize.

protias

Protias:

I want hunter's safety so I can legally go hunting. I looked in the spring and I didn't see any classes offered. When are the times I should be looking for these classes?

oliverclotheshoff

thanks for threadjacking guys im trying to find more info other than what i was taught to help me teach my kids firearm saftey please go argue about what when and where HS is good for somewhere else

Interceptor_Knight

I want hunter's safety so I can legally go hunting. I looked in the spring and I didn't see any classes offered. When are the times I should be looking for these classes?

Hunter safety instructors are some of the most independent around. They could offer classes 365 days a year but they are volunteers and not paid instructors so they do not. As spring approaches you will see classes listed again.

Resdon111

Speaking of hunter safety, I cannot find a class in Waukesha County, or any of the surrounding counties. That seems a bit odd...

Protias, chat me up next week. I'm a HS instructor, I can help you out with finding a class or getting into ours. Theres a couple in Waukesha county, we teach at the Sussex armory.