• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Make Your Voice Heard!

bogidu

Generally I don't do this, however in this case it seems that we CAN make an impact. The Whitehouse has a petition service and one of the current petitions is regarding firearm ownership.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...s-and-shotguns-national-firearms-act/Zc2GTB4c

Please register and make your voice heard. We only have TEN days before this petition closes and we need over 4000 signatures. We need this one to go viral folks, please crosspost accordingly.

Last edited:

RockyMtnScotsman

waste of time - the obama regime is going to do whatever is in their fascist little black hearts regardless of what some petition, or the overwhelming will of the People of the United States, says....

.... for the time being

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
...please crosspost accordingly.

Dear Folks. Obama did not enact this "opportunity" because he was interest in your opinions. He implemented it as a way of recording your name, your address, and your views on each and every serious issue before his administration.

He also implemented it along with the 1000-sig option as a way of saying "if there's not a thousand of you, you are nothing."

The problem is, 99% of Americans will ignore this as being a totally asinine and failure-prone attempt therefore of no further interest.

If you're an American, so should you.

mahkagari

waste of time - the obama regime is going to do whatever is in their fascist little black hearts regardless of what some petition, or the overwhelming will of the People of the United States, says....

.... for the time being

Come, now. He'll have to wait at least until after re-election for that.

He also implemented it along with the 1000-sig option as a way of saying "if there's not a thousand of you, you are nothing."

Because what we should do, after all, is what 999 people feel disenfranchised about rather than what 300 million need.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Dear Folks. Obama did not enact this "opportunity" because he was interest in your opinions. He implemented it as a way of recording your name, your address, and your views on each and every serious issue before his administration.

The problem is, 99% of Americans will ignore this as being a totally asinine and failure-prone attempt therefore of no further interest.

I agree with you.

When I opened the Home Page and saw where "registration" was necessary to vote, I said to myself: "...thanks, but NO thanks!"

Beau

@Since9
Do I think the petitions will really make any difference? No.

Is it a waste of time? Maybe.

Is implying that I am somehow un American because I used a very small bit of my time to publicly voice my agreement or disagreement on an issue completely asinine? You bet.

@MilProGuy and Since9
As far as registration goes they ask for an email and name. Possibly DOB, can't remember. If you are really so tin foil hat about the .gov keeping tabs on you then you wouldn't be on here.

since9

Campaign Veteran
@Since9
Do I think the petitions will really make any difference? No.

Is it a waste of time? Maybe.

Is implying that I am somehow un American because I used a very small bit of my time to publicly voice my agreement or disagreement on an issue completely asinine? You bet.

Not at all. We had a saying in the Air Force: Work smarter, not harder. Obama created that system as a means of skirting his responsibility of reading letters to the President, essentially saying, "Unless you get 1,000 people to agree with you, I'm not going to bother wasting my time." You're well within your American rights to use the system if you so choose. I'm simply saying it won't amount to a hill of beans. You're better off writing your Congressmen. Last time I checked, non had been so foolish as to put such an extremely restrictive system in place.

So, "you bet" you're incorrect. I'm not calling you un-American in the least, and frankly, resent that false characterization.

@MilProGuy and Since9
As far as registration goes they ask for an email and name. Possibly DOB, can't remember. If you are really so tin foil hat about the .gov keeping tabs on you then you wouldn't be on here.

<--- Check my pic. I worked for them for 20 years, and support my Constitution to this day, so your attempt to slap a "tin foil hat" label on us is worse than your false characterization.

I don't think anyone has room enough for a third foot between those rows of pearly whites... Regardless, you're out of feet. :)

Beau

@ Since9. The above is a quote from you. It implies that If a person does not ignore it they are being un American.

Since9 wrote: He implemented it as a way of recording your name, your address, and your views on each and every serious issue before his administration.
MilProGuy wrote: When I opened the Home Page and saw where "registration" was necessary to vote, I said to myself: "...thanks, but NO thanks!"
These statements don't seem tin foil hat'ish to you? If you have some proof that this system is designed to keep track of individuals I'll gladly open mouth and insert foot.

since9

Campaign Veteran
@ Since9. The above is a quote from you. It implies that If a person does not ignore it they are being un American.

Only if you read a lot of things into it that aren't really there.

These statements don't seem tin foil hat'ish to you?

Nope. I've been on various message forums for 26 years. Must of that time was spent arguing against various conspiracy theories, faked UFOs, etc.

If you have some proof that this system is designed to keep track of individuals I'll gladly open mouth and insert foot.

"Proof" is a very slippery term. What I have is evidence:

1. Every time a person accesses http://www.whitehouse.gov or https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions, their IP address is recorded.

2. Let's take a look at one such petition:

Petition.jpg

Clearly, this idea makes very good sense. 30 days isn't enough to raise 5,000 signatures. Yet only 3 days remain to raise more than 96% of the necessary signatures.

3. The system requires people to create an account. When your account is created, your IP address is recorded again. In case you're not aware, these are recording using the full trace, and can pinpoint your location to within a block or so.

4. Oh, and to create an account, you have to verify your e-mail address.

5. And agree to their terms of participation:

6. They call this site "We the People" and it's anything but. It's a very highly stratified (and therefore biased) sample. Yet from the outset, Obama says "if it doesn't meet the requisite number of signatures, we won't look at it." So much for being able to redress the government for your grievances as an individual. Now you have to find 4,999 friends? Phooey.

7. The statement: "We the People expands the options for contacting the White House and does not displace current official methods of communication, such as mailing or emailing the White House." is FALSE. It's an outright lie, as clearly seen in the light of Obama's earlier quote as well as the nature of the system as described in earlier news articles. Flat out, if it were available, this petition system would either not be necessary, or would not require a "minimum number of signatures." Yet:

8. "AS OF OCTOBER 3, 2011: To cross the first threshold and be searchable within WhiteHouse.gov, a petition must reach 150 signatures within 30 days. To cross the second threshold and require a response, a petition must reach 25,000 signatures within 30 days." This is a huge change.

9. Your e-mail address must be valid, and the WH can remove your signature or entire petition any time it feels (quite arbitrarily) that it's not or that you're skirting the intent - whether you are or not. There's no accountability, to check and balance on this. If they don't like your petition or feel like it's getting too many signatures, they simply hit the delete key and they do not have to answer to anyone. It's a trap in that it diverts people from writing their Congressmen, which is what they SHOULD do instead of writing a President who, if he disagrees with a position, will simply ignore it.

10. The coup-de-gras with respect to your claims that you don't have to give out your personal information:

Petition2.jpg

Seriously, Beau? I cut my eye teeth out of college back in the late '80s as a systems analyst (database development and design). I know full well once you register, each and every subsequent action, whether you log in or not, can be tracked, logged, categorized, grouped, analyzed, and used any way they feel like it. Do you know why? Because you volunteered the information, and you did so under a terms of use which includes no statement whatsoever protecting your rights. On most corporate websites, they agree not to use individual data.

Do you honestly believe the Privacy Policy on Whitehouse.gov falls under the same scrutiny as that of, say, Symantec? It really doesn't matter what they say they will do or not do. What matters is what they actually do.

Finally, there's this:

"If you choose to provide us with personal information ... This information will likely be retained by the White House until the end of the current Administration, at which time it will be transferred to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in accordance with the Presidential Records Act (PRA). NARA may eventually release this material to the public, but is required, in accordance with the PRA and the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), to withhold any information that would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy if released."

No, you're not going to find it posted on 1st and Main. There's absolutely nothing, however, to prevent them from using it internally in any manner they wish.

Another: "Some of the information provided to set up a user account (your name and zip code) and user-generated content created with the account may be treated as public information."

Oh, so I guess you might see some of your info posted on 1st and Main.

Still not convinced, Beau? If not, from what position would you argue in response to the above? If it's not in agreement with the above, it can only be from a position of either ignorance, or subterfuge.

I sincerely hope you simply change your mind and recognize Obama's "We the People" for what it is: An attempt by an admitted master of misdirection (he is a lawyer, after all) to get people who're most likely to write their Congressmen, as they should, to write him instead, and into a system which he controls with near impunity, and can manipulate the biases results any way he sees fit.

That's American? Come on, Beau...