• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stolen Guns

sirpuma

My neighbor got burglarized and had a bunch of firearms stolen. This is a list that he gave me to spread the word on. They were taken in the predawn hours on 10/17/2011 in Port Orchard, WA.

Taurus Mod. 2-850021 .38spl snub-nosed revolver, blued, SN. MI78392
Ruger Vaquero .44mag single action revolver, stainless, SN 55-60033
Remington 870 Express, 12ga, parkerized, SN W707318M
Winchester 94 Ranger, .44mag lever rifle, SN 28910
Traditions Buckhunter, .50 Muzzle loader, SN 00-48-32333
Ruger LCP, .380 acp, blued, SN 374-84491
Colt Trooper MkIII, .357mag revolver, blued, SN J85928
Ruger P94, 9mm pistol, brushed nickel, SN 30830038
Colt M1911, .45acp, Commercial Model CA1953 (No NS Provided)
Italian? 36 Navy double action revolver, black, SN x1315
Remington 1148, 12ga semi-auto shotgun (No NS Provided)
Norinco MAK-90, 7.62x39, (No NS Provided)
Stevens Model 44, .22lr, blued (No NS Provided)
Winchester 91 (cir. 1942), 30-30, blued, (No NS Provided)
Universal M1 Carbine, 30 Carbine, (No NS Provided)
Winchester 255, .22lr lever action rifle, (No NS Provided)
Unknown .22 single shot bolt action rifle

Spread the word.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That's quite a collection. I am assuming that a police report was filed. Do they have any leads? Do you know how he had the guns secured?

sirpuma

Yes, a police report was filed, he gave me a copy of the inventory list from the sheriff's office. He has an idea who did it but doesn't have proof. I have footage of them driving in and leaving on my security camera, but the footage is black and white IR from a long way away and it's hard to tell what kind of vehicle it is because it was at 6:10 in the AM. The people who did this knew his schedule and pulled in 10 minutes after he got on the local bus to go to work. I gave him two copies on DVD of my security footage to give to the cops.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Does your friend mind telling you what kind of security he had for his guns? as in, what kind of gun safe did he use?

sirpuma

He's pretty sure he knows who it was. As far as his safe it was one of those thin cheap walmart safes. He meant to get it bolted to the floor, but had been moving things around and hadn't got to it yet. They just took the whole safe along with a couple hand guns from his bedroom and his wife's jewelry and the computer from his office where the safe was.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
...it was one of those thin cheap walmart safes...They just took the whole safe...

Ouch. Security is an investment. If you're going to have that much money throwin into guns you need to drop a few bucks on a safe. $80 at walmart isn't going to cut it. No safe is theif proof, but a safe you have to drill to break into is better than one which you can just walk off with. If anything he just made it easier for them.

Wolfebane

A friend of mines sisters house was just broken into and her husbands guns were stolen too, near Oak Harbor. There seems to be an increase of crime and gun theft in particular on and around the Island and the Sound in general.

The police were very casual about it, didn't even dust for finger prints...just like "Oh well, SS DD."

amlevin

To his credit he at least had S/N's recorded. How many people only think to do so after they have a theft occur?

Mine are all photographed with the S/N's recorded on the photo file. They are also all stored in a heavy safe bolted to concrete.

With "thumb drives" so inexpensive now, it's not a bad idea to have all your household inventory photographed and filed on one of these (including guns). Then either keep it with you or store it in a location off the premises. That way you will have quick access to data necessary to file a police report or insurance claim without having to dig through a mess of documents. This is especially handy in case of fire.

For some reason, preparations like this are like carrying an umbrella. If you carry one it rarely rains. If you don't have one, it pours.

BTW, if anyone comes across any of these firearms, who do they contact? Which Law organization? Phone number????

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

To his credit he at least had S/N's recorded. How many people only think to do so after they have a theft occur?

Mine are all photographed with the S/N's recorded on the photo file. They are also all stored in a heavy safe bolted to concrete.

With "thumb drives" so inexpensive now, it's not a bad idea to have all your household inventory photographed and filed on one of these (including guns). Then either keep it with you or store it in a location off the premises. That way you will have quick access to data necessary to file a police report or insurance claim without having to dig through a mess of documents. This is especially handy in case of fire.

For some reason, preparations like this are like carrying an umbrella. If you carry one it rarely rains. If you don't have one, it pours.

BTW, if anyone comes across any of these firearms, who do they contact? Which Law organization? Phone number????

My Glock has a State Trooper Evidence sticker on it. Can you beat that? LOL.......:p

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

hmmm, I've thought about this, but I've never done it. I'm going to do this when I go home today.

sirpuma

Kitsap County Sheriff's Office. Their number is Phone: (360)337-7101 Fax: (360)337-4923.

I'm going through all my stuff now too. Getting it all written down. I'll have to get photos and such done too and I have a program for cataloging property with photos and a thumb drive I can store the data files on. I'm realizing just how much stuff I have. LOL

Last edited:

amlevin

I'm realizing just how much stuff I have. LOL

It's amazing how many only realize this when it's GONE!

Sad part is that after it's gone it's tough to convince your Insurance Company you really had it.

I'm a major advocate of using the modern technology of Digital Camera or if too lazy to "catalog" individually, just walk through the house with a digital camcorder. On both, make sure the date/time stamp feature is turned on. Cuts a lot of "push back" by insurance company adjusters. On that note, going through and cataloging will also give you some idea if you have ENOUGH insurance on all your stuff.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
With the amount of reported stolen guns, he could have hardly keep them all on him and still be able to walk, sit down etc etc....

[video=youtube;Ade7dO8dmd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ade7dO8dmd4[/video]