• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good OC responce

Beretta9mm (army)

currently im in afganastand but on chrismas eve last year i witnesed an accdent. basicly a truck lost a rim and tier whil going down the 60 in az. seconds latter a car hit that tier jamming it under the froun axel to where the frount weels couldent touch the grown. (this was at night) that car then went out of controll and rearended another car that was parked on the side of the freeway with enging tobbles. i called the cops and me being a member of the military made shure that everone was alright. someone had a dislocaded sholder and another with wiplash. nothing major. when the cops puled up none of them cared i was OC'ing. during the witness statment i handed them my goverment id so they could take my name and info. sence the car that was went out of control cuz someone dident know how to titen their lugnuts was totaled i wated around for about an hr till the cops where done so i could give them a ride home. durring that time i have a exelent conversation with a dps officer (not about the fact that i was OC'ing) but the stresses of being a public servent and the dedication needed. one thing i should say is that i the car that went out of control was derectly behind me. i dident see the tire at all. the only reason i wasent that car is cus i imeditly got over to help the truck that lost the tire. if i hadent i would of been the one involved in the acdent. goes to show that god rewards you for doing the right thing.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Normally I don't consider myself a forum Nazi, but try to make use of paragraphs and spell check. Thanks for your service, ex-SFC.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I was getting a headache trying to understand what the OP was trying to say.

Was it because his typing and English were long the lines of "i was hungry so i stopped by mcdonalds ordered a burger ate it then i went to the library to study stopped by my friends house and..."

Yes, that'd drive me up a wall, too. Sounds like a very bad online translator.

Ironbar

currently im in afganastand but on chrismas eve last year i witnesed an accdent. basicly a truck lost a rim and tier whil going down the 60 in az. seconds latter a car hit that tier jamming it under the froun axel to where the frount weels couldent touch the grown. (this was at night) that car then went out of controll and rearended another car that was parked on the side of the freeway with enging tobbles. i called the cops and me being a member of the military made shure that everone was alright. someone had a dislocaded sholder and another with wiplash. nothing major. when the cops puled up none of them cared i was OC'ing. during the witness statment i handed them my goverment id so they could take my name and info. sence the car that was went out of control cuz someone dident know how to titen their lugnuts was totaled i wated around for about an hr till the cops where done so i could give them a ride home. durring that time i have a exelent conversation with a dps officer (not about the fact that i was OC'ing) but the stresses of being a public servent and the dedication needed. one thing i should say is that i the car that went out of control was derectly behind me. i dident see the tire at all. the only reason i wasent that car is cus i imeditly got over to help the truck that lost the tire. if i hadent i would of been the one involved in the acdent. goes to show that god rewards you for doing the right thing.

Wow. Seriously wow. My ten year old, fourth grade daughter can write a paragraph that makes better grammatical sense than this. So in the interest of easy reading, here is what the author probably intended:

I am currently in Afganistan, but on Christmas eve last year I was still in the U.S., and I witnessed an automobile accident. Basically, a truck lost a rim and tire while travelling down U.S. Route 60 in Arizona. Seconds later, another vehicle ran over that tire, jamming it under the front axle to the point where the vehicle's own wheels could not touch the ground. This occured at night. That vehicle then went out of control and rear-ended another vehicle that was parked along the side of the freeway with engine trouble. I immediately called the police, and I being a member of the military made sure that everyone was alright. Someone had a dislocated shoulder, and another individual had whiplash. There were no major injuries.

When the police arrived, none of them cared that I was OC'ing. During the witness statement, I handed them my government ID. so they could take my name and information. Since the vehicle that lost the wheel and tire was totalled, I waited around for about an hour until the police were done so I could give the vehicle occupants a ride home. During the wait time, I had an excellent conversation with a DPS officer, not about the fact that I was OC'ing, but about the stresses of being a public servant and the dedication needed to do so.

One thing I should mention is that the vehicle that went out of control was directly behind me. I didn't see the tire at all. The only reason I wasn't THAT vehicle is because I immediately pulled over to assist the driver of the truck that lost the wheel. If I hadn't done this, I would have been the one involved in the accident. It goes to show you that God rewards you for doing the right thing.

I wonder if God would reward you for taking a remedial English class, because man, that is DEFINITELY the right thing to do!

Last edited:

Daylen

I wonder if God would reward you for taking a remedial English class, because man, that is DEFINITELY the right thing to do!

To think some people believe they will never need the skills taught in an English class...

slowfiveoh

Remember that not all services members speak English as a first language. Sometimes not even the second.

It may be painful to read it, but it sounds like some good feedback from Arizona again when it all comes down to it.

To the OP, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Boy, the insults are really getting thrown around right and left tonight!

I've never been on a forum where members insult one another. It's quite a culture shock.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I can't believe there are people on this forum who would insult a U.S. soldier for his/her spelling and grammar. This individual is overseas putting their life on the line. You gonna start telling our troops how to shoot next? Sheesh!

I question if this is truly a U.S. soldier . If it is he/she gets nothing but my utmost gratitude and respect. It seems to me that even the dimmest soldier should be able to spell, at the very least, the name of their duty station.

Last edited:

Ruby

WOW!! You all should be proud! I'll bet this person won't post on this forum again. If this person is a service member in Afganistan, I doubt that English grammar is at the top of his/her prioities right now. The OP was trying to share something, an experience they had, and got shot down instead. Everybody has different skill levels with different things, it doesn't make them any less as a person.

It might be nice, if once in awhile, we all quit the criticizing and just accepted that we are all different with different skills and abilities.

Ironbar

Well Ruby et. al., this is where we're going to have to agree to disagree. I think it IS a big deal. I think it's HUGE deal in fact and I'll tell you why. If I thought for even one second that the spelling and grammar issue was a few & far between issue, I wouldn't even have a problem with it. But when over half of the posts on any given forum look like they were written by a junior high school dropout as opposed to people who are supposedly supposed to know better, then it's a harbinger of the piss-poor education that the people of this country received, and a telltale sign that people generally don't give a fluck about the tone and timbre of their own thoughts and ideas.

And you want to write off the OP's egregious grammar style as a character flaw on MY part? Get real.

Last edited:

Daylen

Being critical of the essential communication skills displayed is not the same as making fun of someone. Instead of being critical should such a person be given a trophy for trying? BS, I'm not going to coddle anyone, especially if they are in the military, such would be for sissies.

Badger Johnson

Being critical of the essential communication skills displayed is not the same as making fun of someone. Instead of being critical should such a person be given a trophy for trying? BS, I'm not going to coddle anyone, especially if they are in the military, such would be for sissies.

I don't know about the OP but MY browser highlights words which are not spelled correctly. Presumably, one with enough intel to join the forum could note and make use of these highlighted words and self-correct.

I do appreciate the humor when other spelling-challenged folk post support messages in the thread.

SovereignAxe

This. I will never make fun of someone for something that they don't know, as I see it more of a failure on the part of the teacher than the student (unlees he's a dropout, then forget what I'm saying). And I honestly don't think English is his 2nd language as he doesn't seem to make grammatical mistakes typical of any Slavic or Romance languages-which are easily identifiable (in fact, he seems to make very few grammar errors, it's mostly all spelling). These are somewhat common spelling mistakes made by someone that is spelling these words phonetically-having never been taught to spell them properly.

And I agree with others that this is a pretty big deal. He may be fine carrying a rifle for the Army, but what happens when he gets out? His school system has failed him and it's not the Army's job to teach basic English spelling rules (at least not that I'm aware of), and while having the Army on your resume is going to help getting a job, having a resume full of spelling errors is going to cancel out that advantage.

Back the the topic of the OP: sounds like you did the right thing, and it sounds like the cops did as well. I hope you get the instruction in English spelling rules you need before you start your civilian life. Thank you for your service and good luck.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
I don't know about the OP but MY browser highlights words which are not spelled correctly. Presumably, one with enough intel to join the forum could note and make use of these highlighted words and self-correct.

I do appreciate the humor when other spelling-challenged folk post support messages in the thread.

That explains alot.

Beretta9mm (army)

I have to agree, I should of done some spell checking. I had been up for 2 days and was using the form as as something to do to stay awake till i got off shift. That and IM use to my browser correcting me (Doesn't happen on a military computer). To my sleep deprived mind that looked like it was good. but thank you ironbar for the rewritten.

My writing is why IM getting a mechanical engineering degree and why I do satlight communications for the army. I know IM a bad writer, just not often that bad. I'll make sure to spell cheack from now on.

SovereignAxe

I have to agree, I should of done some spell checking. I had been up for 2 days and was using the form as as something to do to stay awake till i got off shift. That and IM use to my browser correcting me (Doesn't happen on a military computer). To my sleep deprived mind that looked like it was good. but thank you ironbar for the rewritten.

My writing is why IM getting a mechanical engineering degree and why I do satlight communications for the army. I know IM a bad writer, just not often that bad. I'll make sure to spell cheack from now on.

hahaha, that is MUCH better. Yeah, you definitely needed some sleep. Only a couple in that post, and only enough that it would be nitpicking to point them out at this point.

Beretta9mm (army)

Like SovereignAxe said, my problem is phonetic. I know this about my self and have tried hard to fix it, but my brain does not work like that. Personally I think it has something to do with mild ADD growing up mixed in with bad schools until 6th grade. I am a good writer if i take the time; when it comes to spelling I can not even tell when IM making a mistake. When I'M sleep deprived all that goes out the window :cry: