Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IHOP Sierra Vista no weapons policy

IHOP Sierra Vista no weapons policy

Went to the local IHOP in Sierra Vista with Friends recently and noticed a "no weapons" sign in the window. Is this a policy of all IHOP establishments? Anyone know?

Went back today and the sign was gone.

I questioned management and he said the no weapons policy was in full effect.

With the sign not being posted any longer doesn't this create an issue for those wanting to OC in this establishment,who may not be aware of the policy.

What are the normal guidelines as far as posting a no weapons policy. Does the establishment have to clearly post the policy in plain view by law,or is it at the discretion of the establishment whether or not to clearly post this policy?

Well if they wanted to go the No weapons allowed route they would advised to post it otherwise they will have to tell people after they get in. And unless it's posted how is someone to know? So no you can't get in any trouble unless you refuse to leave when asked.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

I'm told the Sierra Vista IHOP female manager is rabid anti-gun. There are a few AZCDL members working to correct this problem.

That being said, in Tucson two IHOP locations are NOT posted and OC is accepted - Grant at Rosemont, also Broadway at Pantano.

BTW, not a good idea to ask manager is CC/OC is accepted inside restaurant. If there isn't a no weapon sign, the obvious silent answer would be OC/CC IS accepted.

So if the policy is no OC in the establishment but its not clearly posted,and someone does OC in the establishment and is asked to leave,what recourse,if any, does a person carrying have?

Quote Originally Posted by az_shooter View Post
    So if the policy is no OC in the establishment but its not clearly posted,and someone does OC in the establishment and is asked to leave,what recourse,if any, does a person carrying have?
    It's their property. Unless they are serving alcohol, there is no requirement to post a "no firearms" sign. If they ask you to leave and you refuse, it's a tresspassing issue. If you refuse to leave, they will call the police who will officially "trespass" (their parlance) you. If you still refuse to leave, you will be arrested on a tresspasing violation.

Fred

I've been there

One night, my wife and I had dinner at the IHOP in Sierra Vista; However, and I don't remember seeing a no Gun sign. the Arizona statute does say they have to have the sign posted clearly, and unobstructed, with the Arizona Revised Statute on the bottom. If they ask you to leave, then you have to leave...but they can't call the cops on you for having a gun unless you refuse to leave the establishment once they ask you. It may be a chain policy, but they still have to post the sign if they don't want someone to walk in the restaurant with a gun.

I've had to explain to a Denny's restaurant manager the proper placement of the no gun sign...This restaurant had the sign obscured by an employees sweater and inside at the cash counter. once I saw the sign, I turned around and locked my gun up in my truck.

Bottom line, be respectful and don't give anyone a reason to take something out of proportion, but stand up for you Constitutional Right.

If I see a no weapons sign, I will not do business with that restaurant.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    ...once I saw the sign, I turned around and locked my gun up in my truck. ...
    And still gave your business/money to Denny's?

Actually, I understand that there are often circumstances where going disarmed for the hour is better than making other plans, but those times sure do suck, don't they?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Centurion
    Yep, ask for YOUR MONEY BACK since they don't want you as a customer and let them KNOW THAT YOU WON'T BE GIVING THEM ANY OF YOUR MONEY! Then leave! And then DON'T GIVE THEM ANY OF YOUR MONEY!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    And still gave your business/money to Denny's?

Actually, I understand that there are often circumstances where going disarmed for the hour is better than making other plans, but those times sure do suck, don't they?
    Normally, I wouldn't do business with a company that would violate my constitutional right; unfortunately, with three hungry children, my stance was overruled. I did talk to the local management and explain the law to them.

Funny this should come up. The IHOP in Prescott Valley was posted 'no guns' at the front door since it was built (2008?). I know, because my Father-in-Law insists on us eating there whenever their in town (1-2x a year). Then, the last time I was there (this fall), the sign was gone.

I have no idea if it is a corp. policy or individual branch/store policy. I also don't know if they've changed their stance. The fact that they went to the trouble of removing the sticker affixed to the front door only adds to the confusion.

I find it interesting that both the PV site and the SV site both REMOVED their no gun signs.

Arizona restaurants removing "no weapons/guns" is always good news. Some eateries will remain defenseless - Applebees, for example, but there's many good restaurants in Arizona that will abide by the Second Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by AZkopper View Post
    Funny this should come up. The IHOP in Prescott Valley was posted 'no guns' at the front door since it was built (2008?). I know, because my Father-in-Law insists on us eating there whenever their in town (1-2x a year). Then, the last time I was there (this fall), the sign was gone.

I have no idea if it is a corp. policy or individual branch/store policy. I also don't know if they've changed their stance. The fact that they went to the trouble of removing the sticker affixed to the front door only adds to the confusion.

I find it interesting that both the PV site and the SV site both REMOVED their no gun signs.
    Really? After discovering the sign way back when, my wife and I never returned to the PV IHOP. I might have to look into that, as I used to be a big fan of IHOP in the old days...

Quote Originally Posted by AZkopper View Post

Cool, that's the kind of thing that deserves to be rewarded and I do love pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post
    Arizona restaurants removing "no weapons/guns" is always good news. Some eateries will remain defenseless - Applebees, for example, but there's many good restaurants in Arizona that will abide by the Second Amendment.
    While I am in Oregon, I OC in Applebees without a problem. Perhaps it's not a corporate policy? Or perhaps the Applebees I go to ignores corporate policy. Might be worth your checking into it.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    While I am in Oregon, I OC in Applebees without a problem. Perhaps it's not a corporate policy? Or perhaps the Applebees I go to ignores corporate policy. Might be worth your checking into it.
    I checked into that two years ago. Talked with manager who told me it was Corporate policy, so I plan no further action. Too many fine restaurants in Tucson are NOT posted and they will get my money.

Applebees has offered me a free meal each year around Veteran's Day.

I tell 'em to stick their free meal.

BTW, Applebees serves booze by the drink, so OC in Arizona isn't possible even without the "Gun Buster" sign.
    Last edited by GWbiker; 01-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.

I haven't had my Starbucks yet this morning so am too lazy to search, however, I believe I read here on ocdo that Applebees corp policy is follow state laws, but it is the large franchise corporation that forbids it.

Our local IHOPs are not posted and I have open carried without issue. I think the IHOP policy is also follow state law. Too lazy to search tho. Will do so later.
    Last edited by carracer; 01-28-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add ihop

Follow this thread to posts 69 thru 72 or so.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ght=ihop+email

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Follow this thread to posts 69 thru 72 or so.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ght=ihop+email
    Huh? A link to a 4 year old post from Delaware.

This is Arizona where OC group meets are as common as sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post
    Huh? A link to a 4 year old post from Delaware.

This is Arizona where OC group meets are as common as sunshine.
    Did I miss something, or is this a thread about an IHOP being posted? If you read my "link to a 4 year old post from Delaware" , post #72 provides an explaination for my post. Unless the Arizona IHOPs are a different corp than the rest of the nation I think it would still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Did I miss something, or is this a thread about an IHOP being posted? If you read my "link to a 4 year old post from Delaware" , post #72 provides an explaination for my post. Unless the Arizona IHOPs are a different corp than the rest of the nation I think it would still apply.
    I believe you did miss something. It's not necessary for you to explain "your post", as that I-HOP in Sierra Vista is no longer posted "no guns".

WE took care of that.

IHOP on Ina and I-10 near the railroad track in Marana has been OK with OC for as long as I can remember. Prob'ly the SV manager is the real problem... and since the signs down... she's prob'ly gone (back to New Jersey or someplace).

Went to the local IHOP in Sierra Vista with Friends recently and noticed a "no weapons" sign in the window. Is this a policy of all IHOP establishments? Anyone know?

Went back today and the sign was gone.

I questioned management and he said the no weapons policy was in full effect.

With the sign not being posted any longer doesn't this create an issue for those wanting to OC in this establishment,who may not be aware of the policy.

What are the normal guidelines as far as posting a no weapons policy. Does the establishment have to clearly post the policy in plain view by law,or is it at the discretion of the establishment whether or not to clearly post this policy?

Ah, yes, ..."the sign was gone." I missed that when reading the part ahead of it that asks: "Is this a policy of all IHOP establishments?".

From what I've been able to muster online, apparently IHOP does not have an official policy on firearms, but their locations have been instructed by Corporate to simply follow local laws. If you ever visit a location and they make an issue out of it, I think it'd be best to share your knowledge of their corporate directives, and if that does not suffice, then tell them you will contact corporate yourself and file a formal complaint and then leave. Wouldn't hurt to also let them know that you do not support businesses that do not support the Constitution. Just my two cents....

Open carry

Open carry is the issue, concealed carry all you want. IHOP, Applebees, most chains like this are a large collection of franchisees. IHOP actually only owns a very few restaurants outright, so the choice is up to each franchisee. This is true of nearly all chains. Keep it out of site and no one will ever have an issue. Be inconsiderate of others and wear it out in the open and pretty good chance you'll be asked to leave your weapon locked up in your car. Don't need a sign. Pretty much every restaurant menu contains the words "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". Once asked to leave, if you do not immediately comply you are violating trespass laws and can be arrested. Not up to you to argue, try to change anyone's minds, tell them what they must do in way of signage, you have no rights on someone else's property. Do as asked, or don't and leave, those are your options. No one is asking for your opinion. You want a vote, invest your own money and open your own place. You have no right to dictate what someone else has to tolerate in their own home or place of business. Again concealed carry is the way to go, open carry and you're just being difficult for no reason and hurting someone's business. You have no right to do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast