• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IHOP Sierra Vista no weapons policy

az_shooter

Went to the local IHOP in Sierra Vista with Friends recently and noticed a "no weapons" sign in the window. Is this a policy of all IHOP establishments? Anyone know?

Went back today and the sign was gone.

I questioned management and he said the no weapons policy was in full effect.

With the sign not being posted any longer doesn't this create an issue for those wanting to OC in this establishment,who may not be aware of the policy.

What are the normal guidelines as far as posting a no weapons policy. Does the establishment have to clearly post the policy in plain view by law,or is it at the discretion of the establishment whether or not to clearly post this policy?

Phoenix David

Well if they wanted to go the No weapons allowed route they would advised to post it otherwise they will have to tell people after they get in. And unless it's posted how is someone to know? So no you can't get in any trouble unless you refuse to leave when asked.

GWbiker

I'm told the Sierra Vista IHOP female manager is rabid anti-gun. There are a few AZCDL members working to correct this problem.

That being said, in Tucson two IHOP locations are NOT posted and OC is accepted - Grant at Rosemont, also Broadway at Pantano.

BTW, not a good idea to ask manager is CC/OC is accepted inside restaurant. If there isn't a no weapon sign, the obvious silent answer would be OC/CC IS accepted.

az_shooter

So if the policy is no OC in the establishment but its not clearly posted,and someone does OC in the establishment and is asked to leave,what recourse,if any, does a person carrying have?

azcdlfred

So if the policy is no OC in the establishment but its not clearly posted,and someone does OC in the establishment and is asked to leave,what recourse,if any, does a person carrying have?
It's their property. Unless they are serving alcohol, there is no requirement to post a "no firearms" sign. If they ask you to leave and you refuse, it's a tresspassing issue. If you refuse to leave, they will call the police who will officially "trespass" (their parlance) you. If you still refuse to leave, you will be arrested on a tresspasing violation.

Fred

dman

I've been there

One night, my wife and I had dinner at the IHOP in Sierra Vista; However, and I don't remember seeing a no Gun sign. the Arizona statute does say they have to have the sign posted clearly, and unobstructed, with the Arizona Revised Statute on the bottom. If they ask you to leave, then you have to leave...but they can't call the cops on you for having a gun unless you refuse to leave the establishment once they ask you. It may be a chain policy, but they still have to post the sign if they don't want someone to walk in the restaurant with a gun.

I've had to explain to a Denny's restaurant manager the proper placement of the no gun sign...This restaurant had the sign obscured by an employees sweater and inside at the cash counter. once I saw the sign, I turned around and locked my gun up in my truck.

Bottom line, be respectful and don't give anyone a reason to take something out of proportion, but stand up for you Constitutional Right.

GWbiker

If I see a no weapons sign, I will not do business with that restaurant.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...once I saw the sign, I turned around and locked my gun up in my truck. ...

And still gave your business/money to Denny's?

Actually, I understand that there are often circumstances where going disarmed for the hour is better than making other plans, but those times sure do suck, don't they?

JoeSparky

Centurion

Yep, ask for YOUR MONEY BACK since they don't want you as a customer and let them KNOW THAT YOU WON'T BE GIVING THEM ANY OF YOUR MONEY! Then leave! And then DON'T GIVE THEM ANY OF YOUR MONEY!

dman

And still gave your business/money to Denny's?

Actually, I understand that there are often circumstances where going disarmed for the hour is better than making other plans, but those times sure do suck, don't they?

Normally, I wouldn't do business with a company that would violate my constitutional right; unfortunately, with three hungry children, my stance was overruled. I did talk to the local management and explain the law to them.

AZkopper

Funny this should come up. The IHOP in Prescott Valley was posted 'no guns' at the front door since it was built (2008?). I know, because my Father-in-Law insists on us eating there whenever their in town (1-2x a year). Then, the last time I was there (this fall), the sign was gone.

I have no idea if it is a corp. policy or individual branch/store policy. I also don't know if they've changed their stance. The fact that they went to the trouble of removing the sticker affixed to the front door only adds to the confusion.

I find it interesting that both the PV site and the SV site both REMOVED their no gun signs.

GWbiker

Arizona restaurants removing "no weapons/guns" is always good news. Some eateries will remain defenseless - Applebees, for example, but there's many good restaurants in Arizona that will abide by the Second Amendment.

Funny this should come up. The IHOP in Prescott Valley was posted 'no guns' at the front door since it was built (2008?). I know, because my Father-in-Law insists on us eating there whenever their in town (1-2x a year). Then, the last time I was there (this fall), the sign was gone.

I have no idea if it is a corp. policy or individual branch/store policy. I also don't know if they've changed their stance. The fact that they went to the trouble of removing the sticker affixed to the front door only adds to the confusion.

I find it interesting that both the PV site and the SV site both REMOVED their no gun signs.

Really? After discovering the sign way back when, my wife and I never returned to the PV IHOP. I might have to look into that, as I used to be a big fan of IHOP in the old days...

JesseL

Cool, that's the kind of thing that deserves to be rewarded and I do love pancakes.

We-the-People

Arizona restaurants removing "no weapons/guns" is always good news. Some eateries will remain defenseless - Applebees, for example, but there's many good restaurants in Arizona that will abide by the Second Amendment.

While I am in Oregon, I OC in Applebees without a problem. Perhaps it's not a corporate policy? Or perhaps the Applebees I go to ignores corporate policy. Might be worth your checking into it.

GWbiker

While I am in Oregon, I OC in Applebees without a problem. Perhaps it's not a corporate policy? Or perhaps the Applebees I go to ignores corporate policy. Might be worth your checking into it.

I checked into that two years ago. Talked with manager who told me it was Corporate policy, so I plan no further action. Too many fine restaurants in Tucson are NOT posted and they will get my money.

Applebees has offered me a free meal each year around Veteran's Day.

I tell 'em to stick their free meal.

BTW, Applebees serves booze by the drink, so OC in Arizona isn't possible even without the "Gun Buster" sign.

Last edited:

carracer

I haven't had my Starbucks yet this morning so am too lazy to search, however, I believe I read here on ocdo that Applebees corp policy is follow state laws, but it is the large franchise corporation that forbids it.

Our local IHOPs are not posted and I have open carried without issue. I think the IHOP policy is also follow state law. Too lazy to search tho. Will do so later.

Last edited:

carracer

Huh? A link to a 4 year old post from Delaware.

This is Arizona where OC group meets are as common as sunshine.

Did I miss something, or is this a thread about an IHOP being posted? If you read my "link to a 4 year old post from Delaware" , post #72 provides an explaination for my post. Unless the Arizona IHOPs are a different corp than the rest of the nation I think it would still apply.