• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freedom Fest Rally

aosailor

The Rowan Tea Party Patriots is a hosting a rally in Salisbury this Saturday. I'm not 100% sure if I can OC at the event. It's a "Rally" but could it be considered a protest? the link below is from the Salisbury Post this morning. I think I should be good, just thought I'd ask the peanut gallery ;) since y'all are more wise in the ways of the laws

http://www.salisburypost.com/News/101911-FreedomFest-advance-qcd

bc.cruiser

Here's the email I sent, and their non-response:

Sent
Many of us in NC go about our lives as "armed citizens". We carry handguns, both openly and concealed, nearly everwhere we go and nearly all the time. We are generally considered responsible citizens, and in the case of those who carry concealed handguns, have had background checks to ensure our standing.

A question has come up in a forum I subscribe to: Can I carry my gun at this rally? The questioner asked for the legality of the act; I am asking you for your stance on the matter. May we carry, or do we need to stay away?

Thank you.

I'm sure you are up on the concealed laws. So you have to make that decision yourself. I'm sure there will be others there who have the same concerns and will or will not be carrying. However we do hope to see you there.

aosailor

Here's the email I sent, and their non-response:

Sent
Many of us in NC go about our lives as "armed citizens". We carry handguns, both openly and concealed, nearly everwhere we go and nearly all the time. We are generally considered responsible citizens, and in the case of those who carry concealed handguns, have had background checks to ensure our standing.

A question has come up in a forum I subscribe to: Can I carry my gun at this rally? The questioner asked for the legality of the act; I am asking you for your stance on the matter. May we carry, or do we need to stay away?

Thank you.

I'm sure you are up on the concealed laws. So you have to make that decision yourself. I'm sure there will be others there who have the same concerns and will or will not be carrying. However we do hope to see you there.

Sooooo in other words... They have no idea what they are doing???? just 1 more reason I really don't align myself with the Tea Party movement.

any body know the code for an emoticon that is slapping himself in the head?

REDFIVE48

Sooooo in other words... They have no idea what they are doing???? just 1 more reason I really don't align myself with the Tea Party movement.

any body know the code for an emoticon that is slapping himself in the head?

I wouldn't say they don't know what they are doing, they just declined to give legal advice. To me, it seems like a rally and not a protest, so I would say that carry would be OK, and they didn't explicitly tell you to leave your gun at home.

MidnighToker

I wouldn't say they don't know what they are doing, they just declined to give legal advice. To me, it seems like a rally and not a protest, so I would say that carry would be OK, and they didn't explicitly tell you to leave your gun at home.

Kinda how I read it too. But the rally/protest line can be real thin, and could easily turn into a protest.

aosailor

Actually no I was in Ranlo most of the weekend dealing with the bombs they found the woods... though I did make sure to grab lunch with fellow like minded Americans at 5 Guys

brutus1776

i think you'll find no one wants to comment on this board about guns at 'rallies, protests, demonstrations, etc.'

i've had LEO's tell me that i was totally legal to carry at various events that were blatantly obvious protests and demonstrations and that i'd only be hassled if a bunch of people complained, they might ASK me to put my side arm away.
i will be acting on this advice, putting my butt on the line, etc just to exercise my rights the first chance i get.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Last year there was a "Restore the Constitution Rally" in Greensboro. Several hundred people showed up, including several members of This forum. I think its a safe guess that at least 85% of the folks at the rally were OCing. Mostly handguns, but there were several AR's, AK's, shotguns & other miscellaneous rifles being OC'd as well.

The point is that this was a "rally", and no one was hassled by the Greensboro Police Dept., which had several officers on site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

brutus1776

indeed.
i'd love to hear some legal definitions/arm chair OC opinions about the difference between a 'rally' and a 'protest.'
i personally fail to see a difference between a bunch of people holding signs at a tea party type event outside a courthouse on the side walk and a bunch of people having the restore the constitution open carry rally in greensboro holding signs, yet im continually told any firearms at a 'protest or demonstration' is illegal. some have hypothesized that the difference is because the OC rally in greensboro was on NPS land.

the loophole seems to be as long as whoever organized the rally doesnt have a problem with it, you are ok.

Last edited: