Thread: Milwaukee County Zoo

Milwaukee County Zoo

FYI......This is to the best of my knowledge so if anyone knows better let me know. I've been to the Milwaukee County Zoo twice in the last year or so. The only way that I know of to enter the zoo is through a building. That building is almost 100% for sure gonna be posted. This effectively will ban zoo carry in Milwaukee I would assert. Seems to me that we have been had once again. Concealed carry permits are nothing but a permit to vehicle carry and to avoid prosecution for school zone violations. Other than that they only serve to register and tax those who carry. Could we have avoided all of this theater by just having an amendment to open carry in vehicles and eliminate the 1000 foot school zone?
    ".......shall not be infringed."

[QUOTE=Drakon;1631292]FYI......This is to the best of my knowledge so if anyone knows better let me know. I've been to the Milwaukee County Zoo twice in the last year or so. The only way that I know of to enter the zoo is through a building. That building is almost 100% for sure gonna be posted. This effectively will ban zoo carry in Milwaukee I would assert. Seems to me that we have been had once again. Concealed carry permits are nothing but a permit to vehicle carry and to avoid prosecution for school zone violations. Other than that they only serve to register and tax those who carry. Could we have avoided all of this theater by just having an amendment to open carry in vehicles and eliminate the 1000 foot school zone?[/QUOTE]

Snip...

Concealed carry permits are nothing but a permit to vehicle carry and to avoid prosecution for school zone violations
    Concealed Carry Permits are also a "Permit" to carry "Concealed" which some prefer over Open Carry....

Snip...

Could we have avoided all of this theater by just having an amendment to open carry in vehicles and eliminate the 1000 foot school zone?[/
    As many have said in the past.... Yes.

But that would have been the logical approach, but, we are dealing with government and government and logic apparentley do not go hand in hand...

On Point... Someone else in another thread mention a similar concern over being able to carry on zoo grounds but not in zoo buildings....

Here... post # 9

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...boo-City-fine.

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 10-19-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Doesn't the penalty for carrying concealed in a posted place only come into effect once you refuse to leave? After they both notice you are carrying concealed and ask you to leave.

Not that I'm advocating carrying in the zoo if it is posted, but I hardly think they'll be able to stop it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    FYI......This is to the best of my knowledge so if anyone knows better let me know. I've been to the Milwaukee County Zoo twice in the last year or so. The only way that I know of to enter the zoo is through a building. That building is almost 100% for sure gonna be posted. This effectively will ban zoo carry in Milwaukee I would assert.
    I don't know. The last time I went to the zoo, I drove next to a cubical that had someone in it, paid and then parked. There is no way anyone is going to tell me a roof over my car is a building. Even if using some crazy liberal Milwaukee logic they post that "Building" it has no effect on me in my car according to the law (correct me if I'm wrong Paul).

I then parked in the parking lot and walked into the zoo and got drunk (that feast with the beast deal). I didn't have to go into any buildings and when I did there wasn't any animals in most anyway.

Ever since that Chris Larson guy made the comment the zoo needed to be posted so WE (the law abiding citizens) don't shoot the animals , I have been wanting to plan an open carry trip to the zoo once enough of us have permits. I would even be up to looking into getting a bus and having T-Shirts made up.
    Last edited by Jason in WI; 10-19-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Not that I'm advocating carrying in the zoo if it is posted, but I hardly think they'll be able to stop it.
    this...concealed means concealed...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Vandil View Post
    Doesn't the penalty for carrying concealed in a posted place only come into effect once you refuse to leave? After they both notice you are carrying concealed and ask you to leave.
    If its posted properly that is your notification and you are in violation if you are in/on said property.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Now protias, you know those magical no firearm signs create a force field around the place and only let good thoughts, unicorns and puppys in .

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in WI View Post
    Now protias, you know those magical no firearm signs create a force field around the place and only let good thoughts, unicorns and puppys in .
    Yup, I do know!

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Vandil View Post
    That is the case in minnesota, not here.

As to the amendment, the federal gfsz is only bypassed by having a permit. State amendment can't do away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    That is the case in minnesota, not here.

As to the amendment, the federal gfsz is only bypassed by having a permit. State amendment can't do away with that.
    I agree federal gfsz would still be in effect, but the state level would more than likely "catch" you. The feds would have to come after you for it. And that hasn't happened one time.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

FYI......This is to the best of my knowledge so if anyone knows better let me know. I've been to the Milwaukee County Zoo twice in the last year or so. The only way that I know of to enter the zoo is through a building. That building is almost 100% for sure gonna be posted. This effectively will ban zoo carry in Milwaukee I would assert. Seems to me that we have been had once again. Concealed carry permits are nothing but a permit to vehicle carry and to avoid prosecution for school zone violations. Other than that they only serve to register and tax those who carry. Could we have avoided all of this theater by just having an amendment to open carry in vehicles and eliminate the 1000 foot school zone?
    There are at least 3 entrances from the parking lot that don't require you to enter a building. One is north of the US Bank Plaza and 2 are south. Inside the zoo, a number of exhibits are in indoor buildings, though, including the cat house, giraffes, reptiles, primates, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
    There are at least 3 entrances from the parking lot that don't require you to enter a building. One is north of the US Bank Plaza and 2 are south.

This is what I was wondering about. Thanks I'll check this out the next time I visit. The way things are set up at the zoo it seems they try to funnel everyone through the building so I must have missed them. What still worries me is if they were to simply close those other entrances they still could effectively ban CC within the zoo.
    ".......shall not be infringed."

This is what I was wondering about. Thanks I'll check this out the next time I visit. The way things are set up at the zoo it seems they try to funnel everyone through the building so I must have missed them. What still worries me is if they were to simply close those other entrances they still could effectively ban CC within the zoo.
    I think you'll be okay. I've never seen those entrances closed and for fire safety reasons, I don't believe they can be closed while the zoo is open to the public.