• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana gone wild - bans using cash

Daylen

That is not legal. I'm sure the feds would love it, even though in the past our fiat dollars have been protected enough to make such a law illegal. Cash is legal tender good for all debts public and private.

HandyHamlet

Coming soon to a state near all of us....Welcome to AmeriKa

If I want to sell my CDs, DVDs, albums, or video games, the local shop (WI) has to take a picture of me and submit it to the local cop shop along with a copy of my DL.

Needless to say the local cop shop can **** ** *****.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That is not legal. I'm sure the feds would love it, even though in the past our fiat dollars have been protected enough to make such a law illegal. Cash is legal tender good for all debts public and private.

Bingo. I don't see how they can possibly enforce this law. Cash is still use about 50-60% of the time in the retail enviroments where I have worked. Now Grandma can't use a twenty dollar bill to buy an old vase. The guy who thought this up is an idiot.

georg jetson

All of this discussion... about an article ABOUT a law... anybody gonna post a link to the actual bill to ascertain the truthfulness of the reporting?

Morbidph8

If I want to sell my CDs, DVDs, albums, or video games, the local shop (WI) has to take a picture of me and submit it to the local cop shop along with a copy of my DL.

Needless to say the local cop shop can suck my balls.

Craigslist.... May take some time, but I can turn junk into cash. :p

georg jetson

§1864.3. Payment by check or money order required

A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property and made payable to the name and address of the seller. All payments made by check, electronic transfers, or money order shall be reported separately in the daily reports required by R.S. 37:1866.

Acts 2011, No. 389, §1.

Definition of a second hand dealer...
http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=93498
Important requirement in the definition...
Anyone, other than a nonprofit entity, who buys, sells, trades in, or otherwise acquires or disposes of junk or used or secondhand property more frequently than once per month

Tawnos

Secondhand sales are now done with a line of credit issued by the seller. The line of credit is to be immediately repaid with cash.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
(chuckle)

You know, you can take the thread title a different way, too.

It could be read to mean that LA became the first state to officially recognize that Federal Reserve Notes are just hollow paper representations of money and subject to manipulation by the Federal Reserve (the central bank) and the fedgov.

That would be worth going wild about. Celebrate!!

Last edited:

Daylen

(chuckle)

It could be read to mean that LA became the first state to officially recognize that Federal Reserve Notes are just hollow paper representations of money and subject to manipulation by the Federal Reserve (the central bank) and the fedgov.

But instead they want to recognize the even more worthless electronic dollars.

PDinDetroit

(chuckle)

I love it, well put sir!

paramedic70002

Sadly in today's political environment it is only unlawful after a lawsuit has been filed and it has worked it's way through the courts, costing the Petitioner untold fortunes and several years out of their life.

Every legislative body should have an office that screens bills for Constitutionality/Legality before they ever see the light of day.

Daylen

Sadly in today's political environment it is only unlawful after a lawsuit has been filed and it has worked it's way through the courts, costing the Petitioner untold fortunes and several years out of their life.

Every legislative body should have an office that screens bills for Constitutionality/Legality before they ever see the light of day.

They do have such a thing! Its called the Attorney General! The problem is this position is as suseptible to having people in it that don't like or understand or care about constitutions, federal law and the rest.

KBCraig

Louisiana was trying to control the sale of stolen scrap metal for cash, but missed the bad guy and nuked the village.

Texas did the same thing this year, by eliminating the felony threshold value of aluminum, copper, and brass. Effecting 9/1/11, any theft of those metals in Texas is a felony. Yup -- steal a soda can, a penny, or a brass ring and it's a felony in Texas.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
And who is to blame for idiotic laws like this? "WE THE PEOPLE" We elected the legislators who came up with this idiocy, or worse yet, the people who decided not to vote because they think it is not important.
What we have happening in several cities in WI right now is local government positions are becoming "Appointed" positions, with no way for the general public to remove local government figures by election. "Town Clerk" is one of the most common appointed positions, and it is creating problems in my own town. The clerk is dictating with no fear of losing an election because she is thouroughly entrenched there.

Watch out for this tactic in your locale

Daylen

And who is to blame for idiotic laws like this? "WE THE PEOPLE" We elected the legislators who came up with this idiocy, or worse yet, the people who decided not to vote because they think it is not important.
What we have happening in several cities in WI right now is local government positions are becoming "Appointed" positions, with no way for the general public to remove local government figures by election. "Town Clerk" is one of the most common appointed positions, and it is creating problems in my own town. The clerk is dictating with no fear of losing an election because she is thouroughly entrenched there.

Watch out for this tactic in your locale

I've heard of this happening with judges; even worse.

Jack House

The laws regarding the sell of used goods are absolutely ridicules. How the hell do you intend to price that the DVD I just sold was stolen? Unless there is some sort of identifying mark, like the serial numbers if high dollar equipment, then it is impossible. I do not support such measures for things like DVDs either. I mean honestly, how many of you have written down and stored in a secure coxswain, every single serial number for every single piece of equipment you have?

If anyone claims they do, be prepared for a pop quiz. :p

Posted using my HTC Evo

Daylen

The laws regarding the sell of used goods are absolutely ridicules. How the hell do you intend to price that the DVD I just sold was stolen? Unless there is some sort of identifying mark, like the serial numbers if high dollar equipment, then it is impossible. I do not support such measures for things like DVDs either. I mean honestly, how many of you have written down and stored in a secure coxswain, every single serial number for every single piece of equipment you have?

If anyone claims they do, be prepared for a pop quiz. :p

Posted using my HTC Evo

Would you be asking for the serial numbers of their belongings and expect someone to answer? Might as well ask for credit card numbers.