• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana gone wild - bans using cash

Jack House

No, I would be asking them if they had the serial number written down along side proof of ownership for that old VCR in their closet, or the serial number for their microwave, or the serial number for their RAM.

My point is that there are dozens, if not hundreds of objects in one's house that already has serial numbers and most people probably don't even realize it, let alone catalog all of the SNs along with proofs of ownership. Add to that, hundreds to thousands of DVDs/CDs and really, who's going to bother?

since9

Campaign Veteran
That is not legal. I'm sure the feds would love it, even though in the past our fiat dollars have been protected enough to make such a law illegal. Cash is legal tender good for all debts public and private.

Individual businesses can refuse to use cash for any reason. Don't like it? Don't do business with them. The government, however, may not bat its use for any reason, as the government itself has said, "legal tender for all..."

Sounds like a local government is trying to usurp the authority of the feds with respect to fed dollars.

I must be psychic, as I know how this will end...

sudden valley gunner

And who is to blame for idiotic laws like this? "WE THE PEOPLE" We elected the legislators who came up with this idiocy, or worse yet, the people who decided not to vote because they think it is not important.
What we have happening in several cities in WI right now is local government positions are becoming "Appointed" positions, with no way for the general public to remove local government figures by election. "Town Clerk" is one of the most common appointed positions, and it is creating problems in my own town. The clerk is dictating with no fear of losing an election because she is thouroughly entrenched there.

Watch out for this tactic in your locale

I have been thinking and reading some different opinions on this thought of we are to blame. First off it wouldn't matter who was elected very much if they stayed within their constitutional, enumerated boundaries. But second off in many instances some are elected with a 10 to 25 percent of the populations vote. So there is a "minority" of folks to blame.

I won't vote unless I truly believe in the person otherwise the people in power can continue the illusion that what they are doing is by the our consent. After all they were voted in. When they actually don't have the Majority consent.

Contrarian

no cash

Since9:

"Individual businesses can refuse to use cash for any reason. Don't like it? Don't do business with them. "

I see it from the sellers viewpoint: the businesses that are losing trade due to this should be the largest body
of complainers/activists in correcting this idiocy.
If purchases are stopped by not accepting cash, bottom lines will be impacted. Taxes will decline. The only way to talk to a pol is via revenue.

MilProGuy

And who is to blame for idiotic laws like this? "WE THE PEOPLE" We elected the legislators who came up with this idiocy, or worse yet, the people who decided not to vote because they think it is not important.
What we have happening in several cities in WI right now is local government positions are becoming "Appointed" positions, with no way for the general public to remove local government figures by election. "Town Clerk" is one of the most common appointed positions, and it is creating problems in my own town. The clerk is dictating with no fear of losing an election because she is thouroughly entrenched there.

Yes, "WE THE PEOPLE" are responsible, ultimately.

We should vote them out when they do not live up to our expectations.

georg jetson

Here's what's happened... A person scraps items, he's issued a check, he then endorses the check, shows ID and gives it back at which time he's given cash. This law is a good example of how stupid law makers can be. The intention was to create a paper trail for law enforcement. This could have been accomplished by simply requiring a second hand dealer to obtain an ID for any purchases.

There's been quit a stir here on local talk shows and such to get this fixed in the next legislative session. We'll see...

Jack House

As I've pointed out, a paper trail isn't going to help because in most cases you not prove ownership of disc based media.

Posted using my HTC Evo

lanceegarrison

This is one more reason to get survival food storage.

If it were me I would stock up on some survival food your going to need it.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Advertising

good luck

Last edited: