• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to add a 9mm handgun; what do you recommend and why?

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Discontinued.

The CZ 75 SP-01 PHANTOM, however, is still in production. Very nice, and it meets all the OP's criteria. I own a CZ 85 B and highly recommend it.

I know the CZ 40b is discontinued. Doesn't mean I can't pick one up. The one my FIL has he picked up a year and a half ago, NIB, at a local pawn show for around $450, so I know it can be done. And, to be honest, I don't mind if it is new or used, as long as it works.

SovereignAxe

I really like my Ruger SR9 - its going to be a polymer framed, striker fire.... As far as price is concerned, I think it's an excellent value. It's accurate, reliable and comfortable to shoot. I've never had an issue. A lot comes down to ergonomics. I think Glocks are great guns. I just find the grip angle uncomfortable after a while of shooting and and it was a bit chunky for my hands. I just felt more comfortable with the Ruger. My recommendation, as I think somebody else mentioned is if there is one in your area, get to a range that has a variety of guns you can rent and and get a feel for the gun, its sights, trigger pull, etc. But in terms of bang for your buck, you can probably get an SR9 for under $400.

Yeah, I unintentionally left that one off. The SR9 is a pretty impressive weapon. It's comfortable and relatively lightweight-and has a manual safety if that's something you're looking for.

SFCRetired

Cheap, durable, and reliable? How about a Ruger P89DC? I've had one since 1993 and it has never, ever failed to fire or feed and it digests everything I feed it. I would suspect that you can find a used one in reasonably good condition in a pawn shop or possibly in a gun store. It's just a tad on the heavy side with a fifteen-round magazine and one in the chamber.

They don't make them any more, but I love the thing as it has, without being fired, saved my bacon on at least four different occasions.

Since it is a decocker, that is the only safety it has. I routinely carry it with the hammer down on one in the chamber and have no fear of it discharging if dropped. Ruger really put together a good weapon with that one.

SovereignAxe

Cheap, durable, and reliable? How about a Ruger P89DC? I've had one since 1993 and it has never, ever failed to fire or feed and it digests everything I feed it. I would suspect that you can find a used one in reasonably good condition in a pawn shop or possibly in a gun store. It's just a tad on the heavy side with a fifteen-round magazine and one in the chamber.

They don't make them any more, but I love the thing as it has, without being fired, saved my bacon on at least four different occasions.

Since it is a decocker, that is the only safety it has. I routinely carry it with the hammer down on one in the chamber and have no fear of it discharging if dropped. Ruger really put together a good weapon with that one.

I'm sure it's a great gun, but I'll bet the DA pull on that thing is about a million pounds isn't it?

SFCRetired

I'm sure it's a great gun, but I'll bet the DA pull on that thing is about a million pounds isn't it?

It is a little heavy, but, and remember that I am old, feeble, and feeble-minded (other than that, I'm OK), I don't have any difficulty pulling the trigger DA. I would think, and this is a guess on my part, that most folks wouldn't have much trouble with it.

Those with smaller hands or with arthritis in their hands would have a lot of trouble.

Prior to buying the P89, every pistol I had ever fired was single-action. It took me some time to get used to the Ruger, but, once I did, I felt about it like I felt about the M1 Garand I was issued fifty years ago; it won't win no beauty contests, but it will deliver when the chips are down.

I carry it or a Springfield Armory .45. Love both of them.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
A great deal of good choices. Today I am OCing a Ruger P85 (pawn shop, US180) and yes they operate well. Very reliable and Uncle Mike makes a kydex for it. Usually I OC a CZ82. Nice weapon, small, ambi safty and mag release. Polygonal barrel, like a glock. Here is the best part, I got a PAIR of them for under US450 shipped. And shipped to my door. Look into C&R weapons, you may be surprised.

clayg

Look at the Taurus pt809. It comes with a 17 rd mag and a 13 rd. has a decent trigger pull and is reasonably priced. I have one I've been carrying for about 4 months now.

Gil223

I'm assuming the majority of us are 'enthusiasts', and that most of us have more than one hangdgun. Even though we may own and shoot several, there is always one that is our favorite, and that itself is subject to occassional change. For years, my primary carry gun was a Kahr K9 (that I picked up at a gun show in Salt Lake City about 25-30 years ago). Prior to that my carry had been a 1911A1. Then, in early 1986, I ordered my first Glock - simply because it was unique in appearance, constuction materials, ammo capacity and design of the safety mechanism at the time (and it had an outstanding reputation in Europe) - a first gen G17. When it arrived, my gunsmith called me and I hurried on over to his shop to take posession of my prize. My first impression was "Well, it's not very pretty... but "pretty" isn't what a pistol is all about." The gun struck me as having a very serious look to it, as if it had 'attitude'. I bought a box of ammo from Smitty and went down to his firing range in the basement of his shop. It took me about 6 minutes to feed that entire box through my "little friend". My impression had then changed from no beauty queen to "WOW! What a great piece of engineering!" As I topped the stairs and opened the door, the first words Smitty uttered were, "Was that thing doubling on you?" and, grinning from ear-to-ear, I told him "No, it's just blazingly quick". And that began my love affair with Glock pistols. Over the years I have acquired two more Glocks - a G23 in .40, and a G26 in 9mm (not only do I have a favorite manufacturer, I prefer the 9mm round as well - I have 7 pistols [if you include the MAC-11] and one carbine chambered for 9mm) and I still have my original G17. Glocks are virtually indestructible (see the torture tests on YouTube)! Glock - often copied, never surpassed. When I OC it's always a Glock, and when I CC it's my Ruger LCR (chosen over the Glocks only because it fits in my jacket pocket easily). Handgun choices are always a matter of personal preference, and some folks prefer appearance to function - they approach the purchase of a handgun as if it's a fashion accessory. IMHO this is the only wrong way to buy a gun! That should be your last consideration... unless you are buying it as a home decoration.

My advice is to buy whatever hi cap 9mm fits your hand best (first consideration), fits your wallet best (second consideration), and is highly-regarded in the shooting community. If you shop around, Glocks can be had in your price range, as can a CZ, S&W, the new Beretta PX4 sub-compact, etc, etc. Buy the best fitting, production manufactured pistol that you can afford. Pax...

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I'm assuming the majority of us are 'enthusiasts', and that most of us have more than one hangdgun. Even though we may own and shoot several, there is always one that is our favorite, and that itself is subject to occassional change. For years, my primary carry gun was a Kahr K9 (that I picked up at a gun show in Salt Lake City about 25-30 years ago). Prior to that my carry had been a 1911A1. Then, in early 1986, I ordered my first Glock - simply because it was unique in appearance, constuction materials, ammo capacity and design of the safety mechanism at the time (and it had an outstanding reputation in Europe) - a first gen G17. When it arrived, my gunsmith called me and I hurried on over to his shop to take posession of my prize. My first impression was "Well, it's not very pretty... but "pretty" isn't what a pistol is all about." The gun struck me as having a very serious look to it, as if it had 'attitude'. I bought a box of ammo from Smitty and went down to his firing range in the basement of his shop. It took me about 6 minutes to feed that entire box through my "little friend". My impression had then changed from no beauty queen to "WOW! What a great piece of engineering!" As I topped the stairs and opened the door, the first words Smitty uttered were, "Was that thing doubling on you?" and, grinning from ear-to-ear, I told him "No, it's just blazingly quick". And that began my love affair with Glock pistols. Over the years I have acquired two more Glocks - a G23 in .40, and a G26 in 9mm (not only do I have a favorite manufacturer, I prefer the 9mm round as well - I have 7 pistols [if you include the MAC-11] and one carbine chambered for 9mm) and I still have my original G17. Glocks are virtually indestructible (see the torture tests on YouTube)! Glock - often copied, never surpassed. When I OC it's always a Glock, and when I CC it's my Ruger LCR (chosen over the Glocks only because it fits in my jacket pocket easily). Handgun choices are always a matter of personal preference, and some folks prefer appearance to function - they approach the purchase of a handgun as if it's a fashion accessory. IMHO this is the only wrong way to buy a gun! That should be your last consideration... unless you are buying it as a home decoration.

My advice is to buy whatever hi cap 9mm fits your hand best (first consideration), fits your wallet best (second consideration), and is highly-regarded in the shooting community. If you shop around, Glocks can be had in your price range, as can a CZ, S&W, the new Beretta PX4 sub-compact, etc, etc. Buy the best fitting, production manufactured pistol that you can afford. Pax...

Kahr's weren't around until 1995.

Gil223

Kahr's weren't around until 1995.

Yep, bubba - you're correct. I'm probably a couple of decades older than you (the end of my 7th decade), and sometimes have trouble recalling the exact details of who, what, when and where. Now that you have mentioned it, I was mistaken about the time frame (which is easy enough to do, when you've owned as many guns, and attended as many gun shows as I have) for that particular pistol. My SIL was with me when I bought the Kahr, and he didn't return to the US until 1996. Thanks for pointing that out! (I'll try to remember it) :eek: Pax...

P.S. The Kahr was still my primary CC gun, even after I found Glock. That was due to it's concealability, compared to the full size Glock, and one of my Glocks is still my primary OC gun. Which one depends on what I feel like that day.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yep, bubba - you're correct. I'm probably a couple of decades older than you (the end of my 7th decade), and sometimes have trouble recalling the exact details of who, what, when and where. Now that you have mentioned it, I was mistaken about the time frame (which is easy enough to do, when you've owned as many guns, and attended as many gun shows as I have) for that particular pistol. My SIL was with me when I bought the Kahr, and he didn't return to the US until 1996. Thanks for pointing that out! (I'll try to remember it) :eek: Pax...

P.S. The Kahr was still my primary CC gun, even after I found Glock. That was due to it's concealability, compared to the full size Glock, and one of my Glocks is still my primary OC gun. Which one depends on what I feel like that day.

Thanks for not believing my correction to be that of a smartass. I can assure you that was not my intent at all. I have owned eleven Kahr's and still own five. Four of those five are in my carry stable. The one that isn't is just too pretty to carry; a T9 with night sights. Beautiful gun.

BTW, I'm a day away from turning 66.

DanieltheAnvil

I'm a sucker for a Glock19. Great gun in my opinion. Also like CZ 75 or newer models like the phantom. CZ price can sometimes go above your desired mark. the XD models from Springfield are decent and I've had success shooting them but it gets mixed reviews in my circle of friends.

Glock isn't pretty but to me that's my first choice. they give you the price quality and flexibility you are looking for. I CC a G19 though i sometimes drop down to my LCP for comfort in everyday carry.

Loneviking

3rd Gen S&W

3rd gen S&W would meet your specs. I have a 910 on layaway that is LNIB for $300. Haunt the pawn shops and small gun stores. There's lots of great deals out there.