• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to add a 9mm handgun; what do you recommend and why?

MiaStar

Hi everyone, I've been on the hunt for a good, reasonably-priced 9mm pistol for about 2 months now. I'm in no hurry to purchase one, so I can take time to peruse articles, forums, reviews, GunBroker, etc.

I like the price points, performance reviews, and general styling of the following pistols:

S&W Sigma 9VE, Taurus 24/7 G2, Taurus PT 909 (identical to my PT 38S but in 9mm), Glock 17, Glock 26, Taurus PT 92, Bersa Thunder in 9mm, Kel-Tec, Sig SP2022...

Ruger P95, Ruger SR9/SR9c, Beretta PX4 Storm, Beretta 92FSA1, EAA Witness Elite/Corps Witness/Witness Match, Springfield XDM (difficult to find under nearly $600), RIA 1911 in 9mm, Taurus PT 1911 in 9mm, Stoeger Cougar, or something similar and along those lines.

I would like to keep the cost under $550 ideally (shipping, FFL transfer fee, and retail cost of the pistol), since I'm just starting my collection, and have a LONG way to go in that regard.

I would also like a HI-CAP 9mm...the more rounds it holds, the better (prefer 12 or more minimum). I understand that hi-cap will add to weight, but that is fine so long as the pistol itself is not over 36 ounces alone.

I also REALLY prefer a manual (thumb) safety, but that is not mandatory if it means saving $200-$300 over a pistol that does have a manual safety or other safety features like the Taurus Security System, for example.

I have better accuracy with and prefer medium to large frame pistols, which is why I didn't list any small 9mm like the Kahr CM9, Taurus 709 Slim, SCCY 9mm, Ruger LC series etc.

If any of you well-versed OC members have particular suggestions for a nice, reliable, durable 9mm pistol that is not too heavy, I would GREATLY appreciate it! (It will be an open carry gun worn on my hip...and will take the place of my PT 38S on some occasions, since the 9mm magazines and ammo are WAY cheaper, and more readily available).

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I am not adverse to purchasing a "used" pistol, so long as the condition is 95% or better, and it is coming from a reputable dealer.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
A huge selection in this category awaits you. Of course, you have a budget ceiling and that is fine because there are still a number of quality guns to be had in this price range. If you're considering Glock, don't forget to checkout the Glock 19. A very popular sidearm and well worth your consideration. Then there is the standard Springfield Armory XD9 series which can be had for around $430 at gun shows (new in the box). A very nice piece is the Smith and Wesson M&P9 which will come in close to the top of your range. Excellent ergonomics with this gun. Ruger, Taurus, even Kel-Tec all have offerings for you to see.

Best thing is to go to a large gun show where you can see a wide variety of 9mm pistols, can handle them, and compare with the various offerings. Once you have managed to come up with a list or probables, try to find an indoor range where you can rent some of them to see how they feel and shoot.

Lastly, take your time and do your homework. Things such as complaints, problems, company support, etc. can be found on websites. It's good that you mentioned you were not in a rush. I would tell you this without reservation. If this gun is to serve as a self defense firearm, reliability should be at the top of the list. Stay clear of guns which seem to have a record of failures to fire, jamming, stovepipes, or anything else that could mean the difference of a BANG or a CLICK when you need it the most.

Good luck.

Aknazer

I have an XD9-SC and an XDm-40 in 3.8" so I'll go ahead and give you my impression on those guns. Naturally I prefer the XDm style over the XD style. The main reason being that the XDm allows for you to change out the back-grip in order for the gun to better fit your hand size, and because the XDm allows you to have an extra three rounds (16 shots for XD 9mm vs 19 in XDm and 13 shots in XD 40 vs 16. Both the XDm and XD in 45 can hold 13 shots). If you are looking to be able to CC this weapon as well, then know that the XD and XDm lines are a bit thick and at least personally that is the biggest issue I have in trying to not print during the summer months. A subcompact (SC) or compact model can help a bit in concealing, but it doesn't do anything in regards to how wide the gun is. For the compact and SC models your magazines are going to hold three less rounds than a regular sized gun, but you can use full size magazines if you want and they sell a piece of plastic that goes on the magazine that gives it a flush look with the rest of the gun (or you can buy new magazines that come with it).

When shooting these guns I had no real issues. Naturally the 40 had a bit more kick, but both were very controllable. The only somewhat downside to the XDm model is that the textured grip can start to rub my skin raw between my thumb and forefinger. This is because of how the texture and my hand fits in, but is nothing that a pair of gloves when shooting wouldn't solve (I typically don't notice any issues unless I shoot 150+ rounds at a time). But I don't mind this issue because that same texture also helps me keep a better grip on the gun when my hands were getting sweaty; and for a self defense gun I'm not going to be shooting off enough rounds to cause the chafing and I want that added grip that the texture gives me in case my hands are wet for whatever reason.

The basic takedown on these guns is real simple, but if you want to give it a thurough (sp?) cleaning it can be a bit of a pain due to the firing pin block. Also I know you asked about 9mm but I figured I would give you a bit of info on my 40 since it is effectively the same thing in regards to how the gun operates compared to the 9mm version (exception naturally being the kick) and in case you changed your mind on the caliber you want.

One last thing. I've shot multiple Berreta 92FS (at least I'm pretty sure that's the model the military uses) and don't overly care for them. I've also been told by multiple armories that the slides are prone to cracking and both before and after firing them we have to check the slides to see if any cracks are visible. Now they might have improved the quality of the guns, but at least the ones that the military gets I wouldn't use if I had a choice.

MilProGuy

I would like to keep the cost under $550 ideally (shipping, FFL transfer fee, and retail cost of the pistol).

I would also like a HI-CAP 9mm...the more rounds it holds, the better (prefer 12 or more minimum). I understand that hi-cap will add to weight, but that is fine so long as the pistol itself is not over 36 ounces alone.

I also REALLY prefer a manual (thumb) safety, but that is not mandatory if it means saving $200-$300 over a pistol that does have a manual safety or other safety features like the Taurus Security System, for example.

I highly recommend the Taurus 9mm PT92AL. It fits the bill on all three of the above counts you listed:

1. My PT92AL Combat Finish pistol cost me $519.00 out the door of my LGS.
2. 17 round capacity plus one in the pipe.
3. Thumb safety with decocker...and, of course, it has the innovative keyed Taurus Security System.
and...a lifetime warranty on the pistol, not just for the initial owner.

pt92withlightcopy.jpg

Verd

Campaign Veteran
My wife's Sig sp2022 shoots beautifully and at only $359, it was a steal. Same goes for my Ruger p95, which was only $300. Shoots beautifully and is fun as hell to shoot.

You might also look for a CZ 40b. They go for around $400-$500 and is another excellent gun in my opinion.

EDIT: The sp2022 and the p95 all come with 15 round mags. And we OC them with a paddle holster all the time. Never had an issue with weight.

Last edited:

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Also check out the FNH FNP 9 for around $450.

A couple of the Washington OCDO folks are giving them rave reviews. The .45 version will be my next pistol.

(Nods respectfully at Browning High Power....)

carsontech

Activist Member
Glad your still alive MiaStar! Welcome back!

I don't have to much to add, I can only comment on what my current wants are for something in 9mm: Sig 226, FNP-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Taurus 24/7 OS, Taurus, or PT92AL.

Now, you don't have to live on here, like some of us, but come back and visit more often. :D

MITCH

Looking to add 9mm

I've owned CZ pistols for over 60 years and, although I've owned approximately 50+ handguns during that time period I have never found any better than the CZ's.
Currently, or I should say before the ship sunk withall my firearms onboard, I have both the CZ 75-B and the CZ Rami, both in 9mm.
Well made, great service from CZ-USA, never a malfunction, comfortable to both carry and conceal, large cap mags, relative low price.
Check them out before you buy,
Mitch:banana:

MiaStar

Thank you so very much everyone for your responses! I was very pleased to read them all!

@SouthernBoy:

Gun show is definitely one route I had forgotten about! That would be my best bet indeed, because instead of wasting gas driving between 2 or 3 counties and stopping at various LGS, I can do all my perusing in one place! I hope to find a gun show here or at least while I'm on holiday vacay in mid-state SC. Thanks!

@Aknazer:

Thank you for giving me info and your review on the 9mm as well as the .40 S&W. The .40 is one that I will be adding after the 9mm, so that 2-in-1 deal was good stuff for me to read! I'm a small, petite lady so I would definitely have trouble with printing in summer if the Springfield XD/m's are particularly wide across the slide. I also like the interchangeable backstraps. More manufacturers are offering this option, which I love.

I didn't know about the slides cracking on the Beretta 92's. That would make me hit the ceiling if I paid hard-earned money only to have the slide crack or something else break (especially since I don't shoot heavy amounts in a given month). That is definitely changing my perspective on the Beretta 92. I like the unique shaping of the PX4-Storm and the rotating barrel which reduces recoil. <always a plus here!

@MilProGuy:

:lol: Yea buddy, this is one I have been yearning for! And the fact that this is a Beretta 92 copy made in the former Beretta factory in Brazil (that Taurus purchased) using the same equipment is a plus! I have heard great things about the PT92 and I have 2 Tauruses already (I have owned 3 but traded out one)...that lifetime warranty and security system sells me over other brands quite often, not to mention the price! That is an awesome deal you got. Anytime I pay $ for something, I want to make it last. The lifetime warranty that goes with the gun is where it's at.

I see people selling the PT 100 (a .40) and the PT 92 for upwards of $500 just because it's an all-steel frame. I would take an all-steel or aluminum frame over polymer anyday if I can get comparable cost and reliability. (Because I feel like if they end up in a fire, the steel frame can be rebuilt, but there is no hope for salvaging anything but the slide and a few parts on polymer guns).

Your PT-92 is outfitted just how I would have envisioned doing mine if I were to get one! I just need to find one that isn't so steeply priced in LGS and online.

@Dreamer:

I hear great things about the Browning Hi-Power...but that $700 price tag I saw was too steep at the time! Might be able to find it cheaper, because as most of us are aware, the folks on GunBroker often try to rip us a new one in the pricing dept, and with the credit card fees of 3%. :(

@Verd:

Great, I'm glad you both have had great results with the Ruger P95 and Sig SP2022...these are 2 that are at the top of my list and my old bud from high school loves his P95 as well. This is going to be one hell of a choice to make! Means a lot that your wife loves them because I like to get a woman's perspective often...but of course this is a male-dominated hobby and sport! But that's fine by me...all the more unlikely it will seem that someone like me is carrying a whole bunch of whoop a-- under my skirt! :)

@Jim675:

You read my mind. I don't know how I slipped and didn't include the FNP-9 in my list, but I have been lusting over that bad boy many a day on GunBroker...and the fact that they are offering (5) (yes, FIVE) MAGAZINES in box with the purchase, is just the sweetest icing on the cake! The price is not bad and I have seen great reviews. I also really like the styling of the FNP pistols.

@carsontech:

Hey there! Thanks! Man I admit I have been on hiatus for a while...battling a stubborn cold. But I'm going to make a concerted effort to check in more often! I have 2 types of forums I mainly visit...those related to guns and hair! My 2 main hobbies, lol. Sad that I have almost 3K posts on the hair board...but that is over a 6 + yr period. I really like this site and I've been advertising it to the other gun boards I frequent (NCgunowner.com, taurus-armed.net). I have all of those pistols you listed in my favorites.

I guess I'm kinda frugal because I'm waiting for the right deal at the right time! I haven't checked out the Glock 19. At first I was afraid of Glocks due to the stories about "Glock Leg" in the military and the fact that they don't have manual safeties, which I'm trained in working with. Doesn't matter if the pistol is DAO or SA/DA. My 2 are SA/DA and both have hammers. I like external hammers, but I'm not going to pass up something like the FNP-9 on sale just to have something else with an external hammer, for example.

@MITCH:

I really find the styling of the CZ pistols to be very sexy. In fact, I ordered a catalog from the company so that I could see all they offer. I really like the CZ-07 and the Phantom. They can be a bit pricey depending on where you buy, but I have not heard any really bad things about them. CZ makes some darn good guns, just from my inspection of them. I will have to check with my indoor range and see if they have one I can rent and shoot.

------------------------------

I'm really leaning heavily towards the Taurus PT-92 due to the security sys, hi-cap, and steel frame...along with the FNP-9 due to the 5 magazines it comes with. My PT-38S only came with 1 mag and now I'm having to spend $55 for 2 more factory magazines! Might just gone and buy some Wilson Combat .38 super mags for the price Taurus is charging.

I would prefer to walk into a gun shop or show and buy my gun right there to avoid shipping and FFl trans. fees. But I may have a hard time tracking down the PT-92 or FNP-9 around here at a price I'm willing to pay.

Y'all have definitely made my choice easier! I still want a Sig at some point!

Last edited:

Dreamer

Gun show is definitely one route I had forgotten about! That would be my best bet indeed, because instead of wasting gas driving between 2 or 3 counties and stopping at various LGS, I can do all my perusing in one place! I hope to find a gun show here or at least while I'm on holiday vacay in mid-state SC. Thanks!

If you are a NC resident, it would be a violation of State AND Federal law for you to purchase a handgun in a state other than your state of residence.

You CAN buy long guns out of state (rifles and shotguns). But Handguns MUST be purchased in your State of Residence. The only way "around" this is to have the out-of-state dealer ship the handgun to a NC FFL and have them process your paperwork--EVEN if this is a private purchase...

It's perfectly fine to "window shop" for a handgun out of state. But you CANNOT actually buy a handgun outside your state of residence.

Sure, this is a STUPID law--the local FFL will run the EXACT SAME information through the EXACT SAME federal NICS system that someone from another state would, but that is the way the law is worded--so STUPID or not, them's the rules for handguns... :uhoh:

Just wanted to clear that up.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
it has the innovative keyed Taurus Security System.

This is something that stops me from buying more Taurus guns. I hate that little internal lock. It makes me feel like someone could disable my gun when it is not in my possession and I wouldn't know...TILL IT'S TOO LATE!!!!

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Thank you so very much everyone for your responses! I was very pleased to read them all!

@SouthernBoy:

I picked up my Ruger p95 at a gun show nearby and it was a simple experience, unless you count in the haggling time lol! About as easy as buying the sp2022 from a pawn shop. I, personally, would rather buy from a person... be it from a table or a store, than online. Much better in my opinion to be able to pick up and hold the actual gun before you buy. Plus, there is the added benefit in being able to see how the current owner of the gun treats all of his/her belongings.
@Verd:

Great, I'm glad you both have had great results with the Ruger P95 and Sig SP2022...these are 2 that are at the top of my list and my old bud from high school loves his P95 as well. This is going to be one hell of a choice to make! Means a lot that your wife loves them because I like to get a woman's perspective often...but of course this is a male-dominated hobby and sport! But that's fine by me...all the more unlikely it will seem that someone like me is carrying a whole bunch of whoop a-- under my skirt! :)
Yeah, I bought the Sig sp2022 for myself originally, thinking that the p95 with the thumb safety would be something my wife liked more... Nope! The moment I let her shoot it, she claimed it for herself and just like that, I was out of the first gun I had purchased within 3 hours of buying it lol. She has a Fobus paddle holster for her sp2022 and uses it with any type of clothing that has a waistband, including skirts and the like.
@carsontech:

Hey there! Thanks! Man I admit I have been on hiatus for a while...battling a stubborn cold. But I'm going to make a concerted effort to check in more often! I have 2 types of forums I mainly visit...those related to guns and hair! My 2 main hobbies, lol. Sad that I have almost 3K posts on the hair board...but that is over a 6 + yr period. I really like this site and I've been advertising it to the other gun boards I frequent (NCgunowner.com, taurus-armed.net). I have all of those pistols you listed in my favorites.

I guess I'm kinda frugal because I'm waiting for the right deal at the right time! I haven't checked out the Glock 19. At first I was afraid of Glocks due to the stories about "Glock Leg" in the military and the fact that they don't have manual safeties, which I'm trained in working with. Doesn't matter if the pistol is DAO or SA/DA. My 2 are SA/DA and both have hammers. I like external hammers, but I'm not going to pass up something like the FNP-9 on sale just to have something else with an external hammer, for example.
Be careful with the new 4th gen Glocks. There have been a number of people saying that they are sloppy in regards to ejecting brass... so much so that there are a large number of 4th gen Glocks being sold online for excellent prices.
@MITCH:

I really find the styling of the CZ pistols to be very sexy. In fact, I ordered a catalog from the company so that I could see all they offer. I really like the CZ-07 and the Phantom. They can be a bit pricey depending on where you buy, but I have not heard any really bad things about them. CZ makes some darn good guns, just from my inspection of them. I will have to check with my indoor range and see if they have one I can rent and shoot.
I agree with the CZ semi-autos. They are a dream to shoot. I've been looking for a 40b for a good 6 months myself. Might have to trade a favor to my FIL to get his 40b.
I would prefer to walk into a gun shop or show and buy my gun right there to avoid shipping and FFl trans. fees. But I may have a hard time tracking down the PT-92 or FNP-9 around here at a price I'm willing to pay.

Y'all have definitely made my choice easier! I still want a Sig at some point!

thumbsup.gif

MilProGuy

This is something that stops me from buying more Taurus guns. I hate that little internal lock. It makes me feel like someone could disable my gun when it is not in my possession and I wouldn't know...TILL IT'S TOO LATE!!!!

Personally, I never use mine on any of my Taurus handguns.

My guess is that Taurus Brazil had to put the system on their guns to make them "politically correct" for their sales in America.

By the way, I think that political correctness has replaced common sense in our country.

SovereignAxe

My recommendations: Browning Hi-Power, CZ-85, Glock 19, Walther P99, Springfield XDm. The first two if you want a steel frame and a hammer, the last three if you want a polymer frame and a striker. They're all great guns, so after those two criteria it really comes down to ergonomics.

McNutty

My recommendations: Browning Hi-Power, CZ-85, Glock 19, Walther P99, Springfield XDm. The first two if you want a steel frame and a hammer, the last three if you want a polymer frame and a striker. They're all great guns, so after those two criteria it really comes down to ergonomics.

I really like my Ruger SR9 - its going to be a polymer framed, striker fire.... As far as price is concerned, I think it's an excellent value. It's accurate, reliable and comfortable to shoot. I've never had an issue. A lot comes down to ergonomics. I think Glocks are great guns. I just find the grip angle uncomfortable after a while of shooting and and it was a bit chunky for my hands. I just felt more comfortable with the Ruger. My recommendation, as I think somebody else mentioned is if there is one in your area, get to a range that has a variety of guns you can rent and and get a feel for the gun, its sights, trigger pull, etc. But in terms of bang for your buck, you can probably get an SR9 for under $400.

spiderjohn

Best place to buy and cheapest I could find is Bud's Gun Shop...blew Gunbroker and the gun shows out of the water even with the transfer fee.