• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greetings Virginia

daniel.tx.75

Been a firearms lover for years but have manly stuck with rifles, AR's and AK's. Made my first handgun purchase this weekend at a gun show in Richmond, a Sig P250c 9mm. I've heard some good things and bad things about this particular weapon but the price point made it hard to pass up.

Being fairly new to Virginia I also learned this weekend that we are and Open-Carry state and am waiting to get a paddle holster in and will be OCing from that point on.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Been a firearms lover for years but have manly stuck with rifles, AR's and AK's. Made my first handgun purchase this weekend at a gun show in Richmond, a Sig P250c 9mm. I've heard some good things and bad things about this particular weapon but the price point made it hard to pass up.

Being fairly new to Virginia I also learned this weekend that we are and Open-Carry state and am waiting to get a paddle holster in and will be OCing from that point on.

Welcome! I also see you are from Midothian.. the same place as the president of VCDL.. you should join that org too and come to our lobby day in Jan. check out www.vcdl.org

Ed

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO and the world of carrying a handgun. While there is no training/education required to OC it never hurts to increase your knowledge of the rules and regulations about handgun handling and self defense. Several of the posters here in the Virginia forum provide concealed carry classes, as do gunshops in the area such as Dominion and Bob Moates (PBUH)*. Being a newbie to handguns it would not be a bad idea (but not necessary) to consider a class even if you have no desire in obtaining your CHP.

As noted, consider joining VCDL, and also look for the OC weekly breakfasts and monthly dinners in the Richmond area. Newcomers are always welcome. Dates & locations are announced in threads here.

stay safe.

* Bob Moates was one of the staunch supporters of RKBA in Virginia. He is missed. His shop carries on.

daniel.tx.75

Another welcome to OCDO and the world of carrying a handgun. While there is no training/education required to OC it never hurts to increase your knowledge of the rules and regulations about handgun handling and self defense. Several of the posters here in the Virginia forum provide concealed carry classes, as do gunshops in the area such as Dominion and Bob Moates (PBUH)*. Being a newbie to handguns it would not be a bad idea (but not necessary) to consider a class even if you have no desire in obtaining your CHP.

As noted, consider joining VCDL, and also look for the OC weekly breakfasts and monthly dinners in the Richmond area. Newcomers are always welcome. Dates & locations are announced in threads here.

stay safe.

* Bob Moates was one of the staunch supporters of RKBA in Virginia. He is missed. His shop carries on.

Solid advice to those new to firearms indeed but I've spend enough time downrange myself so I'm pretty solid. I am looking forward to getting my CHL though, just trying to find the time to get down to file the application.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Solid advice to those new to firearms indeed but I've spend enough time downrange myself so I'm pretty solid. I am looking forward to getting my CHL though, just trying to find the time to get down to file the application.

Good to know that in Virginia its called a CHP = concealed handgun permit :p

Somebody always has the pocket carry cards with a consolidation of OC/CC laws at the VCDL meetings and our OC dinners and breakfast. Ask and ye shall receive.

Look forward to meeting you.

user

Accomplished Advocate

That's a good thing, though knowing how it works isn't the same as knowing how to work it. The latter requires a pretty good understanding of the rules. Here's the one that's most important, I think:

Self-defense and defense of others, an affirmative defense:
If you have a reasonably held, good faith belief, based on objective fact, that you or another person are faced with the imminent (or "immediate") threat of a serious bodily injury, then your use of such force as is reasonably necessary, up to and including deadly force, to eliminate the threat is excusable.

daniel.tx.75

That's a good thing, though knowing how it works isn't the same as knowing how to work it. The latter requires a pretty good understanding of the rules. Here's the one that's most important, I think:

Self-defense and defense of others, an affirmative defense:

LOL....ever have to deal with JAG and brigade legal because 3 "5.56" rounds were fired off after an IED goes off? Now that is down right frustrating.

I've been shot at, blown up, spit on, almost run over more times than I can remember but still I've not fired far more than I have fired.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

That's a good thing, though knowing how it works isn't the same as knowing how to work it. The latter requires a pretty good understanding of the rules.

I have to agree with user here. Military training is great and I give kudos to those who fight the good fight. Military training however, should never be confused with concealed carry training. Knowing how to lay down cover fire in Fallujah does not translate when you are facing a meth junkie in the mall parking lot with a knife. Military training, hunter safety, et al are all neighbors on Handgun Street, but concealed carry lives in a house all by itself.

daniel.tx.75

Military training is great and I give kudos to those who fight the good fight. Military training however, should never be confused with concealed carry training. Knowing how to lay down cover fire in Fallujah does not translate when you are facing a meth junkie in the mall parking lot with a knife.

I agree with you here....it does not translate. Someone that has been in a life threatening situation knows how to control themselves vs. someone who has never pointed a gun at someone or looked down the business end of one themselves.

I'm not saying that the firearm safety is not needed, just the opposite, bullets do nasty nasty things to human flesh. I like the fact that Virginia requires people to go though a firearms safety class before getting their permit to CC and I wouldn't oppose it being a requirement for OC either. But there is a reason the military is exempt from that requirement. The amount of safety training that the military does is amazing and it never stops.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree with you here....it does not translate. Someone that has been in a life threatening situation knows how to control themselves vs. someone who has never pointed a gun at someone or looked down the business end of one themselves.

I'm not saying that the firearm safety is not needed, just the opposite, bullets do nasty nasty things to human flesh. I like the fact that Virginia requires people to go though a firearms safety class before getting their permit to CC and I wouldn't oppose it being a requirement for OC either. But there is a reason the military is exempt from that requirement. The amount of safety training that the military does is amazing and it never stops.

Please, no suggestion of requirements for OCing other than those limitations in place. The internet has ears. :uhoh:

Primary difference IMHO is that military training is by and large offensive/aggressive; whereas civilian training, intent and usage is defensive.....and a completely different set of "Rules of Engagement."

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Please, no suggestion of requirements for OCing other than those limitations in place. The internet has ears. :uhoh:

Amen to this.

Just remember, open carry is the standard, or default, method of carrying a defensive firearm in Virginia whereas concealing it requires permission from our employees. The last thing we would like to see is more restrictions and regulations on such a fundamental right in our state. All of my acquaintances who carry in either mode have taken the time and made the effort to train and learn and practice. This is far more preferred than having some government dictate to us how and under what conditions we can or cannot exercise this most precious right.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But there is a reason the military is exempt from that requirement. The amount of safety training that the military does is amazing and it never stops.

Puh-leeze!

The military trains its folks to keep a round out of the weapon unless and until they arrive at a specified point and/or specified conditions are met. Otherwise troops engage in aerobic exercise by toting around various weights. The military might be good at training in how to effectively shoot back once you are being shot at, but their record for safe gun handling is rather weak at best.

Further, as has been mentioned by just about everybody, the rules for where and when you can carry are extremely different from the rules about when and why you can shoot. Some are more convoluted that the ROE in our current combat zones, and even then if you get three lawyers in one room (Commonwealth Attorney, defense attorney, and judge) you will get at least four differing opinions.

stay safe.