• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who needs a gun at home

papa bear

This really applies to a lot of cities. if you have a story of someone that should have had a gun please post. i just thought this was interesting in view that some of the officials said you didn't need a gun in G'boro

http://www.wxii12.com/news/29527696/detail.html

though the story says, "only minor injuries", it doesn't take account of the home rape these people suffered.
what about the next one. even in Surry county there have been people murdered in these home rapes

bc.cruiser

Glad these people were not seriously harmed. I'll leave the issue of having guns or not alone. Maybe they will adjust the when, how, and for whom they open their doors. A stronger commitment to personal safety could have been an adequate defense.

muccione

That late at night I "might" answer the door. I guarantee I would have a gun in hand. But I do have a locked glass storm door. The main door also has a spy hole. Wife and kids would never open the door that late. The wife would get a gun real close to her if I wasn't home.

Carry24/7

I had and incident all most like this. One night around 11:30pm someone kept ringing my doorbell. I went to the door and looked out the peep hole and saw a guy in his early to mid 20's. I opened the door with my Glock 36 in my hand and asked can I help you? He turned as white as a sheet and as he turned to leave said I think I have the wrong address. I don't know if he was there with any ill will in mind but if he was I changed his plans real quick. :)

Smith45acp

If I'm not expecting the knock, I always answer with my pistol in hand behind the door. In my hood it's usually someone selling meat from their pickup truck or some other such nonsense.

I've heard many examples of people knocking first before breaking into homes. Most recently was the one in Fayetteville where the little kid was home alone and didn't answer. The door was kicked in moments after the unanswered knock.

And the little old lady's home next door to mine was recently invaded some time in the middle of the day. From the details it sounded like the perps were kids. And that scares the crap out of me. Of course I don't plan on shooting anyone without making positive they have lethal intent, but forget about crab fishing, B&E seems to be one of the most dangerous "jobs" I can think of. You never know who might be inside that house, what their defensive capabilities are, or what their tolerance for intruders of any intent may be. I tend to think most members of this forum fall into a certain spectrum in that regard!

Verd

Campaign Veteran
I always answer my door with a gun in hand. Now, the FedEx guy just drops the package on the doorstep, rings the bell, and runs for his truck! Had a great laugh the other day when I watched that play out lol.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I OC even when inside my condo. My wife understands & doesn't give me crap about it (she CC's in her purse, but doesn't want to deal with the scrutiny of OC or the potential LEO interaction it could bring). My in-laws were staying with us for 2 weeks earlier this month, and I swear, I think that they must have thought I was some kind of paranoid freak, OCing my 1911 on one hip & 2 mags on the other even around the house :lol:.

I tell people "I'm not paranoid - just prepared."

In fact, as I type this, I've got the 1911 on my hip & a G27 in my pocket ;)

PistolPackingMomma

We always carry around the house. As someone here once said, "100% of home invasions happen at home." It's delusional to think you are completely safe just because you're at home instead of the parking lot or a grocery store.