Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: another new guy

  1. #1
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67

    another new guy

    hi all,
    name is joe and i am new here. i hope you all will welcome me to the forum. i started to OC about 4 months ago and since have had no issues. i OC a sig scorpion 1911 with 8 alternating 230g federal hydrashoks and federal HST's in the magazine in a heavily modified blackhawk serpa 2 holster. i look forward to meeting you all here and sharing some experiences as far as OC is concerned. thanks and be well.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Welcome. Why do you alternate .45 rounds? Hydra-shoks were the standard for many years, but HSTs are an improvement with respect to not clogging the open point with fabric. I carry HST +P 230gs in my SIG 1911s. I wouldn't feel underpowered with H-Ss if there wasn't a lot of cloth or other things between me and the bad guy, but in winter with heavy outer garments, the HSTs are clearly superior.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 10-20-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  3. #3
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    thanks for the welcome. i alternate because i possess both types of rounds and am convinced that both types of rounds are for the most part equally superior. i really like the center post in the hydra's for penetration potential and the skiving, deep cavity and consistent expansion pattern of the HST's. i really couldn't make up my mind as to which to carry so i alternated them. the back-up magazine on other hip is all HST's though. am i crazy for alternating? i don't think so but i'd like to hear what others think.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGee View Post
    hi all,
    name is joe and i am new here. i hope you all will welcome me to the forum. i started to OC about 4 months ago and since have had no issues. i OC a sig scorpion 1911 with 8 alternating 230g federal hydrashoks and federal HST's in the magazine in a heavily modified blackhawk serpa 2 holster. i look forward to meeting you all here and sharing some experiences as far as OC is concerned. thanks and be well.
    Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!! How did you modify your holster and why?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!! How did you modify your holster and why?
    thanks for the welcome bigsd. as for holster modifications, i did so because the rail on my scorpion made for a tight fit even though the holster is for w or w/o rail. it was beginning to leave wear marks on the cerakote. so i made a cut back and up from the muzzle end leaving the very top so the front sight wouldn't get hung up on the draw. did some hand sanding on the inside to make inside dimensions/tolerances a little wider. i'd post a pic but i am new here and have yet to figure out how to post up a pic, if i even can post a pic. anyways, what i did works fantastically and accomplished exactly what i needed.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Welcome to OCDO!!
    what is the full meaning of the acronym OCDO?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGee View Post
    what is the full meaning of the acronym OCDO?
    Open Carry Dot Org.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Open Carry Dot Org.
    thanks. i got the OC, just not the DO.

  9. #9
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    We are always pleased to welcome another new member into the fold!

    Please take the time to read the forum guidelines and rules, and feel free to jump in and share your own open carry experiences and knowledge with us, and this great knowledge base will be made even better.

    Now, fasten your seat belt and hang on for the ride!
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 10-20-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  10. #10
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    thanks for the welcome milpro. i will quickly share this 1 outstanding experience with you all. back in august my wife and i were invited to a baby shower. i know, it was a baby shower but i was also invited so i went. i wore my thompson auto ordnance 1911 on my hip to the shower. it went over extremely well as i quickly had a small group around me made up of moms, kids and other husbands also in attendance. all were very inquisitive and positive. i wanted to show them that there can be a firearm present and nothing can or will happen. that a firearm around does not automatically mean that rounds are going to fly. 2 older women, i'd say in their late 40's to early 50's were the most inquisitive and positive and even told me it was sexy. didn't tell the wife that part but they had me blushing a bit. anyways, just a quick positive story about OC'ing.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Welcome aboard Joe.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Welcome aboard Joe.
    oi! and thank you Kingfish.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    298
    Welcome Aboard! I enjoyed your posts. We need another OC meet up soon!

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran Verd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lampe, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGee View Post
    thanks for the welcome milpro. i will quickly share this 1 outstanding experience with you all. back in august my wife and i were invited to a baby shower. i know, it was a baby shower but i was also invited so i went. i wore my thompson auto ordnance 1911 on my hip to the shower. it went over extremely well as i quickly had a small group around me made up of moms, kids and other husbands also in attendance. all were very inquisitive and positive. i wanted to show them that there can be a firearm present and nothing can or will happen. that a firearm around does not automatically mean that rounds are going to fly. 2 older women, i'd say in their late 40's to early 50's were the most inquisitive and positive and even told me it was sexy. didn't tell the wife that part but they had me blushing a bit. anyways, just a quick positive story about OC'ing.
    Welcome to the board and great story about your positive OC experience!
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

  15. #15
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    We need another OC meet up soon!
    thank you for the warm welcome Keens and Verd. oi! i thoroughly agree there needs to be another OC meet up as i have never been to one and my wife and i look very much forward to attending one. she OC's as well. was thinking about putting one together up here in the mountains(apex valley out by kingston's peak and rollins pass) where we could meet and greet and get some lead down range as well but the weather this time of year at this elevation is ridiculously unpredictable and inconsistent. what do ya think? think anyone would come up here this time of year if i were to try to put something together? thanks again and be well.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGee View Post
    thank you for the warm welcome Keens and Verd. oi! i thoroughly agree there needs to be another OC meet up as i have never been to one and my wife and i look very much forward to attending one. she OC's as well. was thinking about putting one together up here in the mountains(apex valley out by kingston's peak and rollins pass) where we could meet and greet and get some lead down range as well but the weather this time of year at this elevation is ridiculously unpredictable and inconsistent. what do ya think? think anyone would come up here this time of year if i were to try to put something together? thanks again and be well.
    I have seen that all you can do is pick a date and a place and stick with it. You should have at least a few folks show up. Plan lunch at your favorite local place but don't try to reserve the back room that holds 50 people.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Why do you alternate .45 rounds?
    Don't know his age, but this was common practice 20 years ago with respect to impact vs penetration.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Don't know his age, but this was common practice 20 years ago with respect to impact vs penetration.
    i'll have to say that i am happy with my decision to alternate. i feel good about it and with the extra mag full of HST's i think i'll do just fine if i ever have to use my pistol which i hope never happens. i cannot stress how much i hope that never happens. but if i have to use it at least i have it and if the situation is right i will not hesitate to draw.

  19. #19
    Regular Member RebelWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    41
    Welcome!

    RebelWolf

  20. #20
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    oi! and thanks RebelWolf.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Don't know his age, but this was common practice 20 years ago with respect to impact vs penetration.
    Yeah, but that was hps and fmjs. Both of the Federal rounds are jhps. No harm, no foul, but I stick with the HSTs now after carrying H-Ss for years.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  22. #22
    Regular Member Shooter McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rollinsville, CO
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Yeah, but that was hps and fmjs. Both of the Federal rounds are jhps. No harm, no foul, but I stick with the HSTs now after carrying H-Ss for years.
    i am really happy with the performance and ballistics of both types of rounds. that being said, i choose to alternate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •