• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

another new guy

Shooter McGee

hi all,
name is joe and i am new here. i hope you all will welcome me to the forum. i started to OC about 4 months ago and since have had no issues. i OC a sig scorpion 1911 with 8 alternating 230g federal hydrashoks and federal HST's in the magazine in a heavily modified blackhawk serpa 2 holster. i look forward to meeting you all here and sharing some experiences as far as OC is concerned. thanks and be well.

Gunslinger

Welcome. Why do you alternate .45 rounds? Hydra-shoks were the standard for many years, but HSTs are an improvement with respect to not clogging the open point with fabric. I carry HST +P 230gs in my SIG 1911s. I wouldn't feel underpowered with H-Ss if there wasn't a lot of cloth or other things between me and the bad guy, but in winter with heavy outer garments, the HSTs are clearly superior.

Last edited:

Shooter McGee

thanks for the welcome. i alternate because i possess both types of rounds and am convinced that both types of rounds are for the most part equally superior. i really like the center post in the hydra's for penetration potential and the skiving, deep cavity and consistent expansion pattern of the HST's. i really couldn't make up my mind as to which to carry so i alternated them. the back-up magazine on other hip is all HST's though. am i crazy for alternating? i don't think so but i'd like to hear what others think.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
hi all,
name is joe and i am new here. i hope you all will welcome me to the forum. i started to OC about 4 months ago and since have had no issues. i OC a sig scorpion 1911 with 8 alternating 230g federal hydrashoks and federal HST's in the magazine in a heavily modified blackhawk serpa 2 holster. i look forward to meeting you all here and sharing some experiences as far as OC is concerned. thanks and be well.

Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!! How did you modify your holster and why?

Shooter McGee

Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!! How did you modify your holster and why?

thanks for the welcome bigsd. as for holster modifications, i did so because the rail on my scorpion made for a tight fit even though the holster is for w or w/o rail. it was beginning to leave wear marks on the cerakote. so i made a cut back and up from the muzzle end leaving the very top so the front sight wouldn't get hung up on the draw. did some hand sanding on the inside to make inside dimensions/tolerances a little wider. i'd post a pic but i am new here and have yet to figure out how to post up a pic, if i even can post a pic. anyways, what i did works fantastically and accomplished exactly what i needed.

MilProGuy

We are always pleased to welcome another new member into the fold!

Please take the time to read the forum guidelines and rules, and feel free to jump in and share your own open carry experiences and knowledge with us, and this great knowledge base will be made even better.

Now, fasten your seat belt and hang on for the ride!:dude:

Last edited:

Shooter McGee

thanks for the welcome milpro. i will quickly share this 1 outstanding experience with you all. back in august my wife and i were invited to a baby shower. i know, it was a baby shower but i was also invited so i went. i wore my thompson auto ordnance 1911 on my hip to the shower. it went over extremely well as i quickly had a small group around me made up of moms, kids and other husbands also in attendance. all were very inquisitive and positive. i wanted to show them that there can be a firearm present and nothing can or will happen. that a firearm around does not automatically mean that rounds are going to fly. 2 older women, i'd say in their late 40's to early 50's were the most inquisitive and positive and even told me it was sexy. didn't tell the wife that part but they had me blushing a bit. anyways, just a quick positive story about OC'ing.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
thanks for the welcome milpro. i will quickly share this 1 outstanding experience with you all. back in august my wife and i were invited to a baby shower. i know, it was a baby shower but i was also invited so i went. i wore my thompson auto ordnance 1911 on my hip to the shower. it went over extremely well as i quickly had a small group around me made up of moms, kids and other husbands also in attendance. all were very inquisitive and positive. i wanted to show them that there can be a firearm present and nothing can or will happen. that a firearm around does not automatically mean that rounds are going to fly. 2 older women, i'd say in their late 40's to early 50's were the most inquisitive and positive and even told me it was sexy. didn't tell the wife that part but they had me blushing a bit. anyways, just a quick positive story about OC'ing.

Welcome to the board and great story about your positive OC experience!

Shooter McGee

We need another OC meet up soon!

thank you for the warm welcome Keens and Verd. oi! i thoroughly agree there needs to be another OC meet up as i have never been to one and my wife and i look very much forward to attending one. she OC's as well. was thinking about putting one together up here in the mountains(apex valley out by kingston's peak and rollins pass) where we could meet and greet and get some lead down range as well but the weather this time of year at this elevation is ridiculously unpredictable and inconsistent. what do ya think? think anyone would come up here this time of year if i were to try to put something together? thanks again and be well.

Kingfish

thank you for the warm welcome Keens and Verd. oi! i thoroughly agree there needs to be another OC meet up as i have never been to one and my wife and i look very much forward to attending one. she OC's as well. was thinking about putting one together up here in the mountains(apex valley out by kingston's peak and rollins pass) where we could meet and greet and get some lead down range as well but the weather this time of year at this elevation is ridiculously unpredictable and inconsistent. what do ya think? think anyone would come up here this time of year if i were to try to put something together? thanks again and be well.
I have seen that all you can do is pick a date and a place and stick with it. You should have at least a few folks show up. Plan lunch at your favorite local place but don't try to reserve the back room that holds 50 people.

Shooter McGee

Don't know his age, but this was common practice 20 years ago with respect to impact vs penetration.

i'll have to say that i am happy with my decision to alternate. i feel good about it and with the extra mag full of HST's i think i'll do just fine if i ever have to use my pistol which i hope never happens. i cannot stress how much i hope that never happens. but if i have to use it at least i have it and if the situation is right i will not hesitate to draw.