Thread: Coworker that lives in Illinois said.......

Coworker that lives in Illinois said.......

That he thinks every state should have a system like the FOID card. He claims that its more constitutional to have the cards because it allows people who live in that state to legally own firearms..........
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 10-21-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    That he thinks every state should have a system like the FOID card. He claims that its more constitutional to have the cards because it allows people who live in that state to legally own firearms..........

I think he also believes in god.
    Um......what? We already have a law that legally allows us to own firearms in all 50 states. It's called the Second Amendment. I don't need a stinking badge or a stinking ID card. The whole point of the FOID is to increase government regulation and interference in the lives of Illinois citizens.

Were you able to talk some sense into your friend?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

[QUOTE=thebigsd;1632175]Um......what?
    We already have a law that legally allows us to own firearms in all 50 states. It's called the Second Amendment.
    Thats what I said!!

The whole point of the FOID is to increase government regulation and interference in the lives of Illinois citizens.
    Exactly!

Were you able to talk some sense into your friend?
    No. He believes that every state should go to the FOID system because it controls who is allowed to own firearms and it keeps them out of the hands of the criminals.

I think he also believes in god.
    What does his belief in god have to do with anything?
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

[QUOTE=Tucker6900;1632329]
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post

No. He believes that every state should go to the FOID system because it controls who is allowed to own firearms and it keeps them out of the hands of the criminals.
    Guess he has never heard of a small city by the name of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    What does his belief in god have to do with anything?
    As an atheist myself, I was wondering what his belief in a god had anything to do with his thoughts on gun rights...
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    As an atheist myself, I was wondering what his belief in a god had anything to do with his thoughts on gun rights...
    I am going to go ahead and guess that he was implying that believing as his friend believes is just as silly as believing in god. Could've done without that line I suppose.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I am going to go ahead and guess that he was implying that believing as his friend believes is just as silly as believing in god. Could've done without that line I suppose.
    Yeah, a little harsh I suppose. At the time of the post I was still amped up from the conversation.

Just another ignorant God loving PhD in mathematics guy here. We no think good cause God we like.

Anyway, criminals, read "felons", already are prohibited from owning firearms. The FOID card merely chills the right and is backdoor registration.

Yeah, a little harsh I suppose. At the time of the post I was still amped up from the conversation.
    No worries, I see what you mean now as well as agree with you.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Very harsh. You pretty much called every other believer on the forums stupid for believing in a god. In times like these we need to ban together to support our rights and language like that only creates barriers, barriers which are totally unnecessary because that have NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

I see you removed the rude remarks, but as we all know, once you hit "Submit/Send/Reply" on the internet it is out there forever.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”

[QUOTE=Tucker6900;1632329]
    Um......what?

With all the gun crime in Illinois, mostly Cook county/Chicago, the FOID card system has been proven ineffective for the purpose of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.

Why impose an ineffective system of registration on the law abiding firearm owning community that will only burden, tax and delay the exercise of a fundamental right?

Is there another benefit to an FOID system other than the failed goal stated above that would have any social redeeming qualities that do not burden the right of self defense? If not, it should be abolished. The Instant check has rendered the entire FOID purpose moot.
    Last edited by lockman; 10-23-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: punctuation correction for clarity

Ask him if:
    a) he'd put up with a "worshipping permit card"
    b) he thinks that would stop people from worshipping if they didn't have one

Beyond that, my only reaction is a giant tactical facepalm, because sometimes a normal one just doesn't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    Very harsh. You pretty much called every other believer on the forums stupid for believing in a god. In times like these we need to ban together to support our rights and language like that only creates barriers, barriers which are totally unnecessary because that have NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

I see you removed the rude remarks, but as we all know, once you hit "Submit/Send/Reply" on the internet it is out there forever.
    And I saw the error in my ways. I am by no means trying to create a wall. And if I offended anyone reading this, please accept my apology.
    Like I said, I was still caught in the heat of the moment over the conversation I had with this coworker.

Accomplished Advocate
    having been born and raised in Illinois, I can tell you from experience that most people probably believe this, or something like it. I had no idea of the gun rights world outside my little home town and school districts do nothing to teach the kids anything different. Just one deadly hazard of a state run education system.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSuddeth View Post
    having been born and raised in Illinois, I can tell you from experience that most people probably believe this, or something like it. I had no idea of the gun rights world outside my little home town and school districts do nothing to teach the kids anything different. Just one deadly hazard of a state run education system.
    indeed.

I'm not sure who it was or what thread it is in, but I recall someone on here saying they went to their child's school and they had the bill of rights painted on a wall with details relating to each amendment. The 2nd amendment said something along the lines of, "this amendment allows certaint people to have guns and under some conditions carry them for things like hunting" lol

Some people have never had the TASTE OF FREEDOM, so they except slavery.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6