• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coworker that lives in Illinois said.......

Tucker6900

That he thinks every state should have a system like the FOID card. He claims that its more constitutional to have the cards because it allows people who live in that state to legally own firearms..........

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That he thinks every state should have a system like the FOID card. He claims that its more constitutional to have the cards because it allows people who live in that state to legally own firearms..........

I think he also believes in god.

Um......what? We already have a law that legally allows us to own firearms in all 50 states. It's called the Second Amendment. I don't need a stinking badge or a stinking ID card. The whole point of the FOID is to increase government regulation and interference in the lives of Illinois citizens.

Were you able to talk some sense into your friend?

Tucker6900

Um......what?
We already have a law that legally allows us to own firearms in all 50 states. It's called the Second Amendment.

Thats what I said!!

The whole point of the FOID is to increase government regulation and interference in the lives of Illinois citizens.

Exactly!

Were you able to talk some sense into your friend?

No. He believes that every state should go to the FOID system because it controls who is allowed to own firearms and it keeps them out of the hands of the criminals.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

I think he also believes in god.

What does his belief in god have to do with anything?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
As an atheist myself, I was wondering what his belief in a god had anything to do with his thoughts on gun rights...

I am going to go ahead and guess that he was implying that believing as his friend believes is just as silly as believing in god. Could've done without that line I suppose.

Tucker6900

I am going to go ahead and guess that he was implying that believing as his friend believes is just as silly as believing in god. Could've done without that line I suppose.

Yeah, a little harsh I suppose. At the time of the post I was still amped up from the conversation.

TyGuy

Just another ignorant God loving PhD in mathematics guy here. We no think good cause God we like.

Anyway, criminals, read "felons", already are prohibited from owning firearms. The FOID card merely chills the right and is backdoor registration.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, a little harsh I suppose. At the time of the post I was still amped up from the conversation.

Very harsh. You pretty much called every other believer on the forums stupid for believing in a god. In times like these we need to ban together to support our rights and language like that only creates barriers, barriers which are totally unnecessary because that have NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

I see you removed the rude remarks, but as we all know, once you hit "Submit/Send/Reply" on the internet it is out there forever.

lockman

State Researcher
Um......what?

No. He believes that every state should go to the FOID system because it controls who is allowed to own firearms and it keeps them out of the hands of the criminals.

With all the gun crime in Illinois, mostly Cook county/Chicago, the FOID card system has been proven ineffective for the purpose of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.

Why impose an ineffective system of registration on the law abiding firearm owning community that will only burden, tax and delay the exercise of a fundamental right?

Is there another benefit to an FOID system other than the failed goal stated above that would have any social redeeming qualities that do not burden the right of self defense? If not, it should be abolished. The Instant check has rendered the entire FOID purpose moot.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Ask him if:
a) he'd put up with a "worshipping permit card"
b) he thinks that would stop people from worshipping if they didn't have one

Beyond that, my only reaction is a giant tactical facepalm, because sometimes a normal one just doesn't do it.

Tucker6900

Very harsh. You pretty much called every other believer on the forums stupid for believing in a god. In times like these we need to ban together to support our rights and language like that only creates barriers, barriers which are totally unnecessary because that have NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

I see you removed the rude remarks, but as we all know, once you hit "Submit/Send/Reply" on the internet it is out there forever.

And I saw the error in my ways. I am by no means trying to create a wall. And if I offended anyone reading this, please accept my apology.
Like I said, I was still caught in the heat of the moment over the conversation I had with this coworker.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
having been born and raised in Illinois, I can tell you from experience that most people probably believe this, or something like it. I had no idea of the gun rights world outside my little home town and school districts do nothing to teach the kids anything different. Just one deadly hazard of a state run education system.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
having been born and raised in Illinois, I can tell you from experience that most people probably believe this, or something like it. I had no idea of the gun rights world outside my little home town and school districts do nothing to teach the kids anything different. Just one deadly hazard of a state run education system.

indeed.

I'm not sure who it was or what thread it is in, but I recall someone on here saying they went to their child's school and they had the bill of rights painted on a wall with details relating to each amendment. The 2nd amendment said something along the lines of, "this amendment allows certaint people to have guns and under some conditions carry them for things like hunting" lol

Butch00

Some people have never had the TASTE OF FREEDOM, so they except slavery.