• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

wv notification to law enforcement question...

BMarshall16105

I'll be driving through your fair state in a couple days, on my way to North Carolina from Pennsylvania. While I do not intend on getting pulled over, I want to cover all my bases before hand. I will be openly carrying my 1911A1 the whole way, and I'm sure ill need to stop somewhere to get gas, or food, or pee... now, if I get pulled over, do I need to notify the police officer that I have a firearm on me? Pa doesn't require such a thing, but I know Nc does. Does West Virginia?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Isn't it ironic that the states who are most paranoid about Concealed Carry (CA, MD, NY, NJ, MA) do NOT require notification?

WTF?

That's because they only issue a permit to one person in each state. :D

Last edited:

eamelhorn

WVlocalLEO as a LEO what is preferred among LE in a traffic stop if someone is OC or CC. What does LE want us to do? Im not speaking of law but as man to man, your doing your job im speeding you pull me over and im carrying. I give you my drivers you write me up im on my way, but lets say you want me to step out of the car for whatever reason, I would tell you. But as long as it routine why even bring it up. If im getting out of the car yes I want you to know, but I dont want my gun ran and/or my CCW ran, or searched for being up front and not adding any undue stress to either of us. As a person doing his duty and me going about my bussiness and going over the speed limit or a tail light out ect. What do you want a citizen to do? and Why? It could shed some light on those who just dont trust LE.

There are many reasons I started to carry and because it's my right, or because I can, is not the main reason for me, but I would and will fight for those who do carry for that reason.

WVlocalLEO

Its just a simple courtesy to notify in my mind. It is WV and everyone (unless its been taken away) has a right to bear arms, and in the process of carrying you may get stopped just as someone that isn't observing their right to carry.

In LE one of the most importiant things is Officer Saftey. With that being said, we all know there will always be people that run overboard with something and see no harm at all in doing so. One of those things happens to be when someone besides the cop has a gun or any kind of deadly weapon period.
It makes some Officers feel unsafe because there is a better chance of them losing control of the situation if things go south for whatever reason even if the person appears to be a 100% "good ole boy".

With that being said, again it IS NOT a law it is just a recommendation, and who recommends it? Just about any public safety personnel will tell you that they would like to know before finding out on accident.. Yes there are those that dont give a toot either way but they are few and far between.. Personally I don't get mad or excited either way when I encounter someone "packing" on a traffic stop, but I do make sure I thank them if they do advise me about carrying before I see it myself. Very rarely will you see what someone is carrying in a motor vehicle unless they are one of the few that carry openly. It makes me feel good seeing someone carry, I perceive it to be a huge crime deterrent. As we all know most bad guys (and gals) lol, don't OC

If a Officer askes for a permit and you are doing something that doesnt require one, don't get hostile just explain to the Officer what your up to. Just stay calm and again DON'T GET HOSTILE or start having diarreah of the mouth, it will not help a thing I promise. If you are within the law any reasonable Officer will move along to the situation at hand rather than taking your weapon, clearing it out, stripping it down, etc...

I hope this helps a little folks. Happy OC'n

eamelhorn

Thanks I always like to hear both sides of a debate, i completly understand your reply, and anyone that knows me personally knows im not the type of man to make a rukus. Bit I do stand for what is right, and dont want any undue stress on myself or anyone else that I encounter. But not everyone knows me, so they have no idea who or what I am. All LEO wants to go home at the end of the day, and there are people out there that want a fight for any reason weather they wear a badge or not. Thanks for being on here, and keeping the view from both sides of the badge open.