• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H.S. teacher takes class to gun range...

Baked on Grease

I wasn't able to get a rifke team setup while I qas in high school, but I did get an archery team started, and it's still getring more applicants each year.

You could try finding a pro gun teacher at your school and setting up an after school club. Just classroom stuff at first, but eventually they will get used to the idea. Patience... :p

Sent using tapatalk

SovereignAxe

Does AZ have a law stating you can't carry into any place where a school function is being held?

If so, it sounds like this teacher created a legal paradox for gun owners lol

GWbiker

Does AZ have a law stating you can't carry into any place where a school function is being held?

If so, it sounds like this teacher created a legal paradox for gun owners lol

Reread the newspaper story. Students were taken to an indoor shooting range, several miles from the school, used gun there.

SovereignAxe

Reread the newspaper story. Students were taken to an indoor shooting range, several miles from the school, used gun there.

I did read it. What I'm getting at is that some states have a law that says that anywhere a school function is being held it becomes a gun free zone. In TN you can carry into parks, but if a school funtion is being held at that park you are not allowed to carry there.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I did read it. What I'm getting at is that some states have a law that says that anywhere a school function is being held it becomes a gun free zone. In TN you can carry into parks, but if a school funtion is being held at that park you are not allowed to carry there.

Cite please? In no way can a public place like a park be shut down just because some school kids are on a field trip. If this were true anti-gunners would create class-rooms in every public place for the sole reason of gun control.

In Michigan I was OCing in the state capitol building that has hundreds of school tours every week. The capitol police tried to use that on me and it didn't fly. We have similar wording in our CPL statute and this has been discussed ad naseum. The topic was a school baseball game played in a public park. Two arguments, shool function and sports stadium. Not one arrest has been made over this in Michigan. I suspect the same argument could be made in TN.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

Cite please? In no way can a public place like a park be shut down just because some school kids are on a field trip. If this were true anti-gunners would create class-rooms in every public place for the sole reason of gun control.

In Michigan I was OCing in the state capitol building that has hundreds of school tours every week. The capitol police tried to use that on me and it didn't fly. We have similar wording in our CPL statute and this has been discussed ad naseum. The topic was a school baseball game played in a public park. Two arguments, shool function and sports stadium. Not one arrest has been made over this in Michigan. I suspect the same argument could be made in TN.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/AGOpParkCarry.pdf

It's in Opinions Part 2 in regards to 39-17-1309

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1309 prohibits handgun carry permit holders from
possessing firearms in public parks during times when the athletic fields or other recreational
facilities are actually being used by schools.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

This is simple to get around in the OP's story. Just do this on a Saturday or Sunday, not as a school "field trip". Problem solved.

Dahwg

This is AZ, no such law exists. In fact one of the exemptions for having a firearm on school property...

http://t.co/0rOsRqZ

A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
12. Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds;
G. Subsection A, paragraph 3 of this section shall not apply to a weapon described in section 13-3101, subsection A, paragraph 8, subdivision (a), item (v), if such weapon is possessed for the purposes of preparing for, conducting or participating in lawful exhibitions, demonstrations, contests or athletic events involving the use of such weapon. Subsection A, paragraph 12 of this section shall not apply to a weapon if such weapon is possessed for the purposes of preparing for, conducting or participating in hunter or firearm safety courses.

okboomer

The law and public safety class at the central JTED campus teaches gun safety through demonstrations and role-playing with plastic, nonfunctioning guns, said Kathy Rau, the program manager for the law and public safety program.
She said going to the shooting range doesn't improve a student's chances of getting a job in law enforcement.

"Most law enforcement firearm instructors want recruits that don't know how to shoot because they don't want those bad habits," Rau said.

Evidently not everyone is supportive of the field trip ... instead of being positive about it, she has to get snarky about intentions that are not evident in the report. Way to go quashing the kids.

Kudos to the teacher!