Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Ohio, a panic over one man's zoo

In Ohio, a panic over one man's zoo

This story is just too bizarre to not discuss. Lots of different things going on in this one. First off, the police killed a lot of animals rather than attempting to capture them humanely. Second, what kind of regulations should there be on exotic animals? Third, will they ever find the last monkey?

http://usat.ly/qLIPw5
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Third, will they ever find the last monkey?
    Sure, he is right here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nesmith
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

not to take away from a crazy situation but since when is a bear an exotic animal?

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyburnout View Post
    not to take away from a crazy situation but since when is a bear an exotic animal?
    If my neighbor is walking his pet bear down the road, I'd qualify that as exotic. Whether it should be illegal is another issue. As much as I like going to the zoo to see in person critters I might never get a chance to see, I don't really see the need to keep wild animals penned up. I wouldn't like being caged and I imagine they aren't too keen on the idea either.

My family and I visited a bear "zoo" in Cherokee, NC during our yearly trip to the Smoky Mountains. What I saw there made me never want to return to that "zoo". The bears were kept in nearly bare pits (no pun intened) and they looked downright miserable. It was sickening. I've not seen photos of this fellows "zoo", but I doubt it's in any better shape than the one I saw in Cherokee.
    As Steve Lee says, "I like guns," and have no plans to get rid of them. My kids will be taught, as I was, about gun safety.

Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr_Haggis View Post
    If my neighbor is walking his pet bear down the road, I'd qualify that as exotic. Whether it should be illegal is another issue. As much as I like going to the zoo to see in person critters I might never get a chance to see, I don't really see the need to keep wild animals penned up. I wouldn't like being caged and I imagine they aren't too keen on the idea either.

My family and I visited a bear "zoo" in Cherokee, NC during our yearly trip to the Smoky Mountains. What I saw there made me never want to return to that "zoo". The bears were kept in nearly bare pits (no pun intened) and they looked downright miserable. It was sickening. I've not seen photos of this fellows "zoo", but I doubt it's in any better shape than the one I saw in Cherokee.
    I hope you aren't advocating more laws and less freedom. If you don't like zoos don't go to them. Someone likes them and people shouldn't try and stop their pursuit of liberty.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

This guy and his wife didn't run a "zoo". They did "exotic animal rescue". Essentially, when individuals buy an exotic animal, and later decide they can't handle it, they often sell them to people like this rather than having them put down.

Whether keeping wild animals in cages just to preserve their life is more humane than putting them down when they are no longer wanted is another debate altogether.

But he wasn't running a "zoo" and his property was never open to the public...

BTW, he also used to be a FFL, until he got raided in the 1990s and was found to have a whole mess of "illegal" firearms, including unregistered SBRs, full-auto rifles, and several firearms with the serial numbers obliterated, and he got his FFL pulled.

Technically, this case should be investigated as a murder, because there is NO WAY this guy shot himself with a firearm, because he was a "prohibited person", having been convicted on several Federal firearms violations. I mean, EVERYONE knows that "gun control" laws work, so there is no way this guy could have legally possessed a firearm with which to shoot himself...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    I hope you aren't advocating more laws and less freedom. If you don't like zoos don't go to them. Someone likes them and people shouldn't try and stop their pursuit of liberty.
    As someone that has work with exotics for much of his life, I am horrified at what happened and I am also saddened by the bad press good keepers are getting. This a$$hat's actions are a black eye for those of us that are passionate keepers that are doing everything we can to do good for the animals we work with. Much like those if us with a passion for firearms and the second amendment cringe when a bad shooting story hits the news, this is how those that love and work with exotics feel about that has happened in Ohio. Sadly, this gives ammo to animal rights groups such as peta and the HSUS to try and impose bans. In many ways they are much like the Brady bunch and their ilk.

Daylen is right about respecting others pursuits and liberty. Just as say hunting are not everyone cup of tea..working with exotics might not be yours. All of our liberties are stronger if we remember to respect others pursuits, passions and happiness.
    Last edited by DontTreadOnMeVa; 10-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Technically, this case should be investigated as a murder, because there is NO WAY this guy shot himself with a firearm, because he was a "prohibited person", having been convicted on several Federal firearms violations. I mean, EVERYONE knows that "gun control" laws work, so there is no way this guy could have legally possessed a firearm with which to shoot himself...
    You might be using sarcasm, but I'm a bit suspicious of the official story of suicide. I suspect a hit.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

75 deaths in 20 years? Anyone really worried about such a pathetically low number?

Posted using my HTC Evo

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Fu** their liberty and Fu** the people that like them!

I posted this on another board and yeah, I hunt but wouldn't cage them!

I don't know that there was anything else they could do Muldoon. I wasn't there and I'm not gonna Monday Morning Quarterback them. That doesn't change the fact that there is a pile of animals stacked up like cordwood that will serve no purpose other than to fertilize a hole in that farm.

The real shame goes back to the origin of the animals. They shouldn't have ever been in captivity in the first place. Nothing should live it's life in a cage.
    Now the tree huggers will tell everyone Zoos are necessary to save these big cats from extinction....boy howdy

They don't know how lucky they are to be saved from extinction.

In Richmond a few years ago, Maymont, a private park, had a couple of bears. One of the idiotic soccer moms picked her kid up and lifted him over the outer fence so he could get a better look at the bear. The bear bit him.

A 4 yr old child and at least 1 parent were apparently at the rear of the 2-acre bear exhibit Saturday when the child climbed a 4-foot wooden fence into a restricted area and approached the 10-foot chain-link fence that surrounds the bears. One of the bears bit the 4-year-old boy last weekend. Both bears, ages 12 and 9, were euthanized because it was not known which one bit the boy.
    It didn't hurt the kid badly but instead of taking away Mom's PTA privileges, they blamed the bear for doing what bears in cages do. They killed both of them.

If that wasn't bad enough, the Game Commission found a couple more cute little cubs to replace him.

I'm really ashamed to be the same species as these idiots!

Last edited by peter nap; 10-31-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Fu** their liberty and Fu** the people that like them!
    Brady and Pelosi would be proud.

Another one huh?

Why would Brady and Pelosi be proud that Peter doesn't like zoos?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr_Haggis View Post
    I think I've been to that "zoo" in Cherokee. It was a complete and utter hell hole. Concrete pits with no straw, zero toys, no shelter, no view of trees or anything like that. A bear cub was kept locked up in a cage half the size of my coffee table. I wouldn't have gone, except my sister in law wanted to see the animals, and wouldn't go by herself.

Why would Brady and Pelosi be proud that Peter doesn't like zoos?
    Where were zoos mentioned? I believe the quote involved nasty things against freedom and liberty.

Where were zoos mentioned? I believe the quote involved nasty things against freedom and liberty.
    You have to be blood kin to Hank T.
    Stupid people put those folks in office so I expect they love you!

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Hank T.
    Hank T.

Anyone want to try a third and see if it works like Beetlejuice?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Hank T.

Anyone want to try a third and see if it works like Beetlejuice?
    NO!

Yes it did. Perhaps the shame he feels being a member of this species may cause him to change species... fortunately for the rest of us, no other species are allowed to vote... yet...
    Last edited by georg jetson; 10-31-2011 at 07:10 PM.

I will try and explain this. Peter's quote, which you took out completely out of context without even thinking of adding a SNIP tag, was in reference to caging animals. Now take a leap here....where do you find caged animals? Wait for it, wait for it, and the answer is.......a ZOO. In fact the word zoo is right there in Peter's post.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-31-2011 at 07:19 PM.

I will try and explain this. Peter's quote, which you took out completely out of context without even thinking of adding a SNIP tag, was in reference to caging animals. Now take a leap here....where do you find caged animals? Wait for it, wait for it, and the answer is.......a ZOO. In fact the word zoo is right there in Peter's post.
    It appears to me that this quote... "Fu** their liberty and Fu** the people that like them!" ...was a stand alone. It didn't seem linked to the rest of the post.

I take it that the liberty he's speaking is the liberty belonging to those that "like" zoos... and it was nasty. I read and re-read before commenting on Daylen's post and re-read again before posting this. The context was certainly "zoos", but was also "eff" people's liberty as well.

Bad things happen to animals and that is certainly tragic, but nothing about an animal trumps a person's God given rights to own property and to do with that property as he wishes as long as it doesn't infringe on any other person's rights.

I was being lazy by not using the proper quote convention for subquotes. However I was not interested in discussing the part about the zoos or cages. Any rights animals have are not and should not be recognized nor protected by human laws. Humans come first and if animals start having rights codified humans will loose far more liberty and security than we should. I agree that it is cruel to cage animals and personally do not like nor go to zoos. I have no real interest in discussing such further. I find it much more interesting to discuss how many people will on one hand demand their rights for things they like or want to do, yet vehemently oppose others rights because of a dislike for other activities.

I find it hypocritical to say I want my right to xyz, but" FU** you and your right to do what you want if I DON'T LIKE IT".
    Last edited by Daylen; 10-31-2011 at 08:48 PM.

I find it hypocritical to say I want my right to xyz, but" FU** you and your right to do what you want if I DON'T LIKE IT".
    It may be hypocritical Daylin...but so be it.
    You haven't heard me say "I have a right" That's kind of whiny...I exercise my RIGHTS, I don't just give them lip service. Now I do say Fu** you right often.

It may be hypocritical Daylin...but so be it.
    You haven't heard me say "I have a right" That's kind of whiny...I exercise my RIGHTS, I don't just give them lip service. Now I do say Fu** you right often.
    Its as whiny as children and liberals to whine about others exercising theirs and cursing about it.

Its as whiny as children and liberals to whine about others exercising theirs and cursing about it.
    Pretty sharp reply there. You think it up all alone or did Mom Help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast