• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Ohio, a panic over one man's zoo

georg jetson

I will try and explain this. Peter's quote, which you took out completely out of context without even thinking of adding a SNIP tag, was in reference to caging animals. Now take a leap here....where do you find caged animals? Wait for it, wait for it, and the answer is.......a ZOO. In fact the word zoo is right there in Peter's post.

It appears to me that this quote... "Fu** their liberty and Fu** the people that like them!" ...was a stand alone. It didn't seem linked to the rest of the post.

I take it that the liberty he's speaking is the liberty belonging to those that "like" zoos... and it was nasty. I read and re-read before commenting on Daylen's post and re-read again before posting this. The context was certainly "zoos", but was also "eff" people's liberty as well.

Bad things happen to animals and that is certainly tragic, but nothing about an animal trumps a person's God given rights to own property and to do with that property as he wishes as long as it doesn't infringe on any other person's rights.

Daylen

I will try and explain this. Peter's quote, which you took out completely out of context without even thinking of adding a SNIP tag, was in reference to caging animals. Now take a leap here....where do you find caged animals? Wait for it, wait for it, and the answer is.......a ZOO. In fact the word zoo is right there in Peter's post.

I was being lazy by not using the proper quote convention for subquotes. However I was not interested in discussing the part about the zoos or cages. Any rights animals have are not and should not be recognized nor protected by human laws. Humans come first and if animals start having rights codified humans will loose far more liberty and security than we should. I agree that it is cruel to cage animals and personally do not like nor go to zoos. I have no real interest in discussing such further. I find it much more interesting to discuss how many people will on one hand demand their rights for things they like or want to do, yet vehemently oppose others rights because of a dislike for other activities.

I find it hypocritical to say I want my right to xyz, but" FU** you and your right to do what you want if I DON'T LIKE IT".

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I find it hypocritical to say I want my right to xyz, but" FU** you and your right to do what you want if I DON'T LIKE IT".

It may be hypocritical Daylin...but so be it.
You haven't heard me say "I have a right" That's kind of whiny...I exercise my RIGHTS, I don't just give them lip service. Now I do say Fu** you right often.:lol:

Daylen

It may be hypocritical Daylin...but so be it.
You haven't heard me say "I have a right" That's kind of whiny...I exercise my RIGHTS, I don't just give them lip service. Now I do say Fu** you right often.:lol:

Its as whiny as children and liberals to whine about others exercising theirs and cursing about it.

DontTreadOnMeVa

If my neighbor is walking his pet bear down the road, I'd qualify that as exotic. Whether it should be illegal is another issue. As much as I like going to the zoo to see in person critters I might never get a chance to see, I don't really see the need to keep wild animals penned up. I wouldn't like being caged and I imagine they aren't too keen on the idea either.

My family and I visited a bear "zoo" in Cherokee, NC during our yearly trip to the Smoky Mountains. What I saw there made me never want to return to that "zoo". The bears were kept in nearly bare pits (no pun intened) and they looked downright miserable. It was sickening. I've not seen photos of this fellows "zoo", but I doubt it's in any better shape than the one I saw in Cherokee.

Many private keepers and breeders do much better than their public counter parts in keeping exotics. The assumption that private keepers are some how, substandard is quite often the opposite of reality. Think about this, some would assume that an officer is by definition better trained than joe citizen with a firearm and as such officers should be the only one with guns. I hope that most of the people that read this forum would be smart enough to reject both silly assumptions.