Thread: im new and have a question.

im new and have a question.

Hello my names dakota, I am wondering what is the law in mo about purchasing a hand gun? How old and can I carry where I please except school churches banks ect? I'm 20 yrs old and have a one year old son. I live in a rough apt complex and don't exactly trust the surroundings . I want to keep my son safe and practice my rights. I own a 410 shotgun and haven't ever owned a hand gun. I was raised mostly by my mom who was a liberal and wasnt really allowed to have guns. I'm a conservative and want to practice the rights I still have. Please educate me on my questions and anything else you want to share. thank you and glad to be here.

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    all i can say is federal law. but the people in oregon state thread can easily help you with the local laws :-)

federal law states that you have to be 18 to purchase a rifle, and 21 to purchase a handgun at a FFL *gun dealer*

however you only have to be 18 years old to purchase either through a private party sale *buy it off your dad or a friend*

you cannot however have someone buy a gun for you through an FFL *that is called a straw purchase, and it is highly illegal*

carry of the firearm depends on your state and local laws. you can find the MO laws here

http://www.opencarry.org/mo.html

and if you hop over to the missouri forum, im sure they can answer any and all questions you may have concerning this :-)

welcome to OCDO :-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Accomplished Advocate
    In MO if you can pass the standard federal 4473 check, you can buy a pistol at 21 or older. You can then carry it on your own property as you see fit, you can carry it within most areas of the state exposed but some restrict it, hard to find the info sometimes. At 21 you can get your CCW if you have no sis or really bad drinking history ie multiple dwi. MO does not use felony as a restriction which sounds good but its not, we are more restrictive. Any crime that carries a 1 year penalty or more can prevent the CCW so if you have a misdemeanor assault (simple fight in high school these days) you can be denied the CCW.

If you are legally allowed to have the firearm, you are legally allowed to carry it concealed in your car without any permits what so ever.

CCW info at Missouricarry.com is solid as a rock, this space is for open carry where you carry it exposed.

Welcome to MO and shoot often.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Thats all i want to do is open carry guess Ill have to wait a few months I'm still only 20 .

Quote Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
    Thats all i want to do is open carry guess Ill have to wait a few months I'm still only 20 .
    Hello Dakota, welcome to the forum. I am going to reccomend that you get ahold of a certain member of this forum. His forum name on the Mo. open carry site is choff. If you go to Missouricarry.com he goes by mohunter1. He is IMHO one of the most well versed on not only Mo. but also federal handgun laws, and I believe he would also be able to direct you where to find out the correct answers to the questions you are asking. Send him a PM and ask him to respond to this forum.

It has always been my understanding that open carry is an option to anyone 18 yrs of age in Mo. I know for a fact Mo honors a Maine non-resident CCW permit and it is eligible to Mo. residents. You only have to be 18 to qualify, my son holds a Maine permit and has for a year now.

It's pretty simple, really. In Missouri, the only age restrictions for firearms purchases that are in effect are those mandated by Federal Law. Title 18 U.S.C. 922 specifies that (as noted above in the reply by LMTD), you must be 21 years of age or older to purchase a handgun from an FFL holder (a person with a Federal Firearms Licence, aka: a gun dealer). It then goes on to specify that you must be at least 18 years of age or older to purchase a handgun from an individual. The language in question is as follows (I took the liberty to place in bold, the important text):

Sec. 922. Unlawful acts
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver:

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    And here is the language that deals with sales between private individuals (again, important text is in bold):

(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile:

(A) a handgun;or

(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess:

(A) a handgun;or

(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(3) This subsection does not apply to:

(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to thepossession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenileif the handgun andammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile:

(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;

(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile's parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except:
    (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a person who is less than 18 years of age.
    It is perfectly legal for an 18 year old in this state to purchase and possess a handgun, so long as they are lawfully entitled to be in possession of said gun (no felony convictions, is not intoxicated, is not under a valid full order of protection, etc). It's just that a you must be at least 21 to purchase from a Federal Firearms License holder. In addition, as long as you are lawfully in possession of the firearm, you may lawfully OPEN carry it in Missouri in jurisdictions where such carry is not prohibited by local ordinance.

Thanks

Appreciate it cshoff.

Let me make sure I have this correct. I have a son who is 13. Does this mean he can go to an Open Carry meeting with me Open Carrying as long as I have given hhim permission? Thank you,,,James H

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim40Cal View Post
    Let me make sure I have this correct. I have a son who is 13. Does this mean he can go to an Open Carry meeting with me Open Carrying as long as I have given hhim permission? Thank you,,,James H
    Is it legal for your son to hunt? He would need to openly carry a firearm to do so now would he not?
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."